Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2020 Mitsubishi Mirage a Nissan Juke based crossover?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    TDI vs gas is different, We had two passats and both had issues with the 1.8 and 2.0 Turbo.

mitsu's in the family

2024 Mirage SE

2021 Mirage ES CVT (Sold)
    2021 Outlander Sport 2.0 ES CVT (trade in)
    2018 Mirage G4 1.2 ES CVT (ex wife's car, crashed)
    2017 Mirage G4 1.2 ES CVT Smartphone Link Display Audio (SDA) System(Crashed)
    2015 Lancer SE 2.4 AWC (sold)
    2014 Mirage DE 1.2 Manual and BT (sold)
    2004 Galant DE (mom's sold)
    2000 Mirage DE 1.8 Auto (sold)
    1988 Cordia L Turbo (trade in)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage G4 ES CVT 1.2 automatic: 42.0 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.4 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The turbo everything these days is all about getting more power and better mileage out of a smaller engine. If you are driving easy it behaves like a small efficient engine. If you punch it, you will get something more like the power and mileage of a much bigger engine.

Ford has like 2.7 liter engines in trucks now and they perform well. I remember driving a 2.5L truck as a kid and it couldn't get out of its own way!

So, is this Mirage going to become more like a Versa in 2020?

Conor

Senior Member Subcompact Culture's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Listen, I love my little Mirage, complete with a manual transmission and 78 raging horsepower. However, with the popularity of CUVs these days—including subcompact ones, such as the Jeep Renegade, Buick Encore, Honda HR-V (not to mention the Chevy Trax, Ford EcoSport, and Hyundai Kona)—Mitsubishi would be smart to get into the small CUV market. Currently they play in the compact market with the Outlander Sport and new Eclipsecross. CUVs are moneymakers and Mitsubishi needs to make money. Hopefully it won't be at the expense of subcompact car (vs. CUV), however. And I will guarantee you that we will not get a manual version if it comes in CUV form. No one else is offering a CUV with AWD and a manual other than Jeep (Renegade) and The Subaru Crosstrek if you count that.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,684 Times in 2,103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Subcompact Culture View Post
    Listen, I love my little Mirage, complete with a manual transmission and 78 raging horsepower. However, with the popularity of CUVs these days—including subcompact ones, such as the Jeep Renegade, Buick Encore, Honda HR-V (not to mention the Chevy Trax, Ford EcoSport, and Hyundai Kona)—Mitsubishi would be smart to get into the small CUV market. Currently they play in the compact market with the Outlander Sport and new Eclipsecross. CUVs are moneymakers and Mitsubishi needs to make money. Hopefully it won't be at the expense of subcompact car (vs. CUV), however. And I will guarantee you that we will not get a manual version if it comes in CUV form. No one else is offering a CUV with AWD and a manual other than Jeep (Renegade) and The Subaru Crosstrek if you count that.
    It would be nice if Mitsubishi would create a small CUV without having to sacrifice the Mirage. Like you already sort of mentioned, the Subaru Crosstrek is really a modified Impreza. Thus, leave the Mirage alone & create something like the Crosstrek to fill that market void.

If a Mitsubishi Outlander Sport came in a manual AWD model, it would be my next purchase. It would replace my 2011 Subaru Forester (manual) some day. When the Subaru went to CVT transmissions with the Forester models, the towing capacity dropped from 2,500 pounds to 1,500 pounds. That alone tells you the confidence they have in their CVT transmissions. Even the Forester is losing the manual transmission option in 2019, & that was the only reason I bought one at the time.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    ^^ I do like the idea of the Outlander Sport being a rival to the subaru forester. Especially if the Outlander Sport ever came with a manual transmission with a more 'potent' engine. It would really be a much better ride. I have a 2011 Outlander Sport and it's definitely not "sporty" for what it is. It drives nearly the same as its other competitors.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 43.4 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Renault Nissan Mitsubishi Alliance signs in-car tech deal with Google to install Android OS (AI/voice commands of vehicle functions such as sunroof etc) in Alliance vehicles starting in 2021 ...

source: Financial Times article by Peter Campbell, Sep 17, 2018

update - Mitsubishi Motors news release Sep 18, 2018
    Last edited by Tuques; 09-19-2018 at 06:36 PM. Reason: add link to manufacturer's press release

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 667 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Basic View Post
    Ooooohhhh, I do like the thought of a 1.5 Turbo Diesel... MUST HAVE A MANUAL TRANSMISSION THOUGH!!!
    The press here is full of stuff about the Renault 1.5L Diesel engine. You may want to google about NOX emissions in everyday situations versus the official figures. "Cleaner" than the clean Diesel, if you know what I mean!
    If one of them drive in front of me, I keep an extra distance and hope someone overtakes me.

If the current Mirage/Spacestar is replaced by a heavier, less economical car, it probably won't be very successful in these parts, and I will certainly not ever think of buying it.
    Last edited by foama; 09-19-2018 at 08:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post

If the current Mirage/Spacestar is replaced by a heavier, less economical car, it probably won't be very successful in these parts, and I will certainly not ever think of buying it.
    I doubt they would be interested if you rightfully complained about that trash. See what I did there

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuques View Post
    Renault Nissan Mitsubishi Alliance signs in-car tech deal with Google to install Android OS (AI/voice commands of vehicle functions such as sunroof etc) in Alliance vehicles starting in 2021 ...

source: Financial Times article by Peter Campbell, Sep 17, 2018
    That at least sounds interesting, quite unlike the Mirage morphing into another type of vehicle.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 33.6 mpg (US) ... 14.3 km/L ... 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.4 mpg (Imp)

There will always be a place for entry level vehicles. But look at what happens to pricing when subcompact cars are replaced by subcompact crossovers: they add $4-5K to the base price vs. the car it's based on. So much for entry level! And it's not because there's $4-5k worth of material/equipment added to the vehicle.

Mitsubishi would be wise to introduce a subcompact CUV. But they probably don't want to abandon the true entry level car market. Nissan/Mitsu just have to decide whether both companies are going to participate at the bottom end.

FYI, Nissan just started selling a subcompact CUV in the U.S./Canada called the Kicks. It's built on the same platform that the K13 (last gen) Micra/Versa/Note is made on, and has been available in Latin America for a few years already.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Fummins (09-18-2018)