Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: TPMS questions

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    That's the absolute easiest/best way to have a set of spare wheels and maintain your TPMS system.

Absolutely. Any decent TPMS tool can do this. Any place that sells tires should have a tool that can do this. Don't expect places like Sam's, Costco, Walmart, etc to have a tool like this. My local Discount Tire can do it. They might even read your sensor ID's and not charge you for it.

Different manufacturers make their own programmable (clone-able) sensors and cloning tools. So different brands aren't compatible with one another. For example... Schrader makes a programmable sensor called the EZ Sensor. But you have to have a Schrader TPMS tool to program it.

I have an Autel TS501 tool. It can read sensor IDs and it can program Autel MX sensors. It can also plug into the OBDII port to read the sensor ID's in the car's computer and it can write new ID's into the computer. It's worked on multiple cars I've tested...but amazingly is does NOT work with the Mirage ETACs!!! I'm still working with the manufacturer to try to get a solution. But if it can read/clone sensors, you don't need a tool that talks to the car's computer anyway.

If the computer doesn't see 4 TPMS sensors for any reason, the light will flash at first when the car is started...then it will just stay on constantly. There is no chime.

Holy smokes...like Cobrajet said...that POS Mitsubishi Reset tool does NOT work with the Mirage!!!
    Ok, sounds like that Autel (with Autel sensors) will do what I need. I have all four original working sensors, btw. Guess if they are cloned while the batteries are still good, it'll avoid a trip to the dealer.
    Thanks very much, I appreciate the info.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Your 2004 Saab is a great example of what TPMS were designed to be. A nice added safety feature that didn't require much thought from the owner. Somehow 10 years later, it has become a system that is way more complicated than it needs to be.

A basic TPMS should be simple. If one tire has low psi, the dash light comes on. That's all the system has to do. I don't even see the need for 4 different codes? Some cars will give you a psi reading for each individual tire on the car, but this system is not that complicated. All the system needs to do is record four working sensors & give a warning for low psi in any given tire.

It's nice to know a better system is out there. The Mirage system appears to be pretty lame. My hope is that when my sensors start to die, I will be able to replace all four sensors with ones that can be cloned or come with a matching set of sensors. Until that day comes, I will just drive with the dash light on when using my snow tires. Like mentioned already, you can think of the dash light as telling you that you are in snow tire driving mode!
    ...and eventually, when that bulb wears out, problem solved! I don't think I'd take the instrument cluster out to replace a TPMS bulb.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,684 Times in 2,103 Posts

clarification

Quote Originally Posted by tomrad View Post
    Ok, sounds like that Autel (with Autel sensors) will do what I need. I have all four original working sensors, btw. Guess if they are cloned while the batteries are still good, it'll avoid a trip to the dealer.
    Thanks very much, I appreciate the info.
    Has someone actually cloned a Mirage's factory sensors with Autel sensors & created a matching set of 4 new sensors?

Whereas you can interchange all four wheels, the TPMS continues to work without giving a warning, & no trip to the dealership was ever made?

I just want to know if someone has really done this, or are we talking in theory here?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Why can't Mitsubishi's system be this way?
    The answer is simple:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsubishi Revenue Dept.
    There's nothing quite like watching Tom Cruise humiliate himself.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Maybe I should remove all four TPMS sensors to save weight. I think it would make an amazing difference in performance.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,532 Times in 1,467 Posts
    Has someone actually cloned a Mirage's factory sensors with Autel sensors & created a matching set of 4 new sensors?
    I have the Autel tool and a new programmable sensor...but I don't have a good way to test everything. I was going to test it by doing the following:

1. Buy a used Mirage wheel/tire from a salvage yard
    2. Program the new sensor to match a TPMS sensor ID in one of my existing wheels
    3. Install the sensor in the salvage yard wheel
    4. Install the salvage yard wheel on the car (replacing the existing wheel from step 2)
    5. Drive car and confirm the TPMS light never comes on.

Well...I'm too cheap to do all of that. I've spent enough money on this stuff so far. I'll take everyone's word for it on Amazon, etc.

I just want to know if someone has really done this, or are we talking in theory here?
    A TPMS sensor doesn't do anything except broadcast an ID and a tire pressure (and a few other pieces of info). Every time your car starts moving, the ETACS module reads the 4 TPMS ID numbers it has stored. If it's getting a signal from those 4 ID's (and the tire pressure is OK), the TPMS light will go off. The sensors don't receive data...they just broadcast.

Cloning sensor ID's is the most productive way for tire shops to handle TPMS issues. If you can clone sensor ID's, then you don't need to interface with the car's computer or know the TPMS re-learn process for every make/model out there. Next time you're in a tire store, ask if they can clone TPMS sensors. A couple of local chains here are now doing it.

This stuff really isn't complicated. It's just that Mitsubishi (and a few other manufacturers) have chosen to make the process of replacing sensors painfully difficult. Cloning is the way to beat the system.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

complicated

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post

This stuff really isn't complicated. It's just that Mitsubishi (and a few other manufacturers) have chosen to make the process of replacing sensors painfully difficult. Cloning is the way to beat the system.
    Simple is - you put your wheels on your car, the cars automatically reads whatever 4 sensors are on it, and automatically registers them. Apparently, a 2004 Saab could do this. Complicated is having to buy an expensive tool to read your sensors & another expensive tool to clone new sensors to your existing sensors. By the way, all sensors have a number stamped on them. A tool just eliminates having to remove the tire to read it.

We shouldn't have to clone sensors. We shouldn't have to buy a tool or visit a dealership. A car should sense 4 working sensors are in place, & that's it. That's not complicated to me! I've been asking since December of 2017 (both locally and on this forum), & I still haven't heard of anyone that has successfully cloned a Mirage's factory sensor. For something that shouldn't be complicated, something seems wrong to me?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    For something that shouldn't be complicated, something seems wrong to me?
    It shouldn't have to cost $800 for a new AC compressor either but it does, hence me going the used route from a junk yard.

I wonder if used junk yard sensors would be the solution to this problem.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    In my opinion, the answer is no. A junk yard Mirage sensor would save you money in the purchase of a replacement sensor. That used sensor (or any new Mitsubishi Mirage sensor) is useless to you until you take your car to a Mitsubishi dealership, & they charge you for programming that replacement sensor # in to your car's TPMS.

That's the appeal of cloning your existing sensor. The cloned sensor matches the sensor it's replacing. If you have two sets of wheels that are cloned to each other, the car doesn't know if you are running your summer or winter tires. To the car it's reading the same 4 sensors. Cloning sensors avoid the trip to the dealership & this silly charge. Cloning avoids having to even reprogram your car.

This is nothing like someone sharing - They put 4 new sensors in the wheels of their 2004 Saab. The car automatically recognized and registered the new sensors. Done! You do nothing! That's simple & not complicated!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    It shouldn't have to cost $800 for a new AC compressor either but it does, hence me going the used route from a junk yard.

No, then you'd have to go to the dealer to have them programmed to your car.