Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: TPMS questions

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tomrad View Post
    No, then you'd have to go to the dealer to have them programmed to your car.
    Well that stinks. I must admit, I am enjoying this thread. I typically deal with older vehicles, so this TPMS stuff is completely new to me.

It certainly sounds like the dealership is the best and possibly only way to go for programming these sensors, unless you go the cloning route.

Perhaps I will have new TPMS sensors installed on all four wheels next time I buy a set of tires. That leads to another question. Would the dealership be able to program the car to accept a generic sensor such at the one I purchased on Amazon, or would I need to buy the sensors from the dealership?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    We shouldn't have to clone sensors...We shouldn't have to buy a tool or visit a dealership.
    I'm not disagreeing with you. Most Asian manufacturers (Honda, Nissan, etc.) do it the same way Mitsubishi does. The good news is that cloning sensors is a cheap and smart way to subvert the whole process. And if these Autel sensors work, a set of 4 only costs about $100.

I've been asking since December of 2017 (both locally and on this forum), & I still haven't heard of anyone that has successfully cloned a Mirage's factory sensor.
    Well...you guys have finally whined enough that I will go ahead and clone one of my own OEM sensors and replace it with the Autel sensor. Once again I'm going to take one for the team.

Honestly...I need to do this anyway to satisfy my own curiousity. I was reading the Evo forums and there are a lot of complaints there about some brands of programmable sensors not working with 2014+ Evo's. Oh boy...here we go again! Everything works unless it's on a late-model Mitsubishi!!!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    Would the dealership be able to program the car to accept a generic sensor such as the one I purchased on Amazon, or would I need to buy the sensors from the dealership?
    You most definitely do NOT need to purchase OEM Mitsubishi sensors. I think they are more than $100 each?!?

I can tell you for absolute certainty that the VDO sensor I pictured in post #8 of this thread does work in a 2015 Mirage. This is the replacement sensor Discount Tire used when they broke one of my OEM sensors. The dealer had no issue programming this sensor to work in my car. I put 20K+ miles on that sensor with no TPMS light...before the battery in the sensor died. I didn't have my TPMS tool yet, so I installed a $20 used OEM sensor from eBay and had that installed and programmed by the dealer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts

My 2017 Mirage

Well that stinks. I must admit, I am enjoying this thread. I typically deal with older vehicles, so this TPMS stuff is completely new to me.

It certainly sounds like the dealership is the best and possibly only way to go for programming these sensors, unless you go the cloning route.

Perhaps I will have new TPMS sensors installed on all four wheels next time I buy a set of tires. That leads to another question. Would the dealership be able to program the car to accept a generic sensor such at the one I purchased on Amazon, or would I need to buy the sensors from the dealership?
    If a sensor goes bad or is broken for most newer cars, you can take the broken sensor to an auto parts store. The auto parts store will read the number off the broken or dead sensor, & they will just clone you a new one for you. The sensor doesn't even have to work to clone it. The tire guy can then replace the broken/dead sensor with your newly cloned sensor, & you are good to go. You don't have to visit a dealership & pay for a costly reprogramming. The tire with the cloned sensor doesn't even know something happened (no dash light). For someone that lives a distance from a Mitsubishi dealer, cloning is the only way to go.

Now I started this reply with most new cars. I do not know of anyone being able to clone a 2017/18 Mirage sensor. My local auto parts store that clones sensors for other cars in our town (all of the local mechanics/tire guys use them) cannot do this for a Mirage. I've only heard of cloning a Mirage sensor in theory not actual practice.

I like getting the life out of my tires. Even though one of my cars is a Subaru Forester, its no better than any other car in snow with bad tires. Thus, I have a second set of wheels for it. This was my first vehicle with TPMS. I drilled the Subaru dealership. They assured me the new sensors would work with my second set of wheels. I even ordered the extra rims through them. I wasted $160 ($40/sensor). When I switch to the newer set of wheels, the dash light comes on. When I return to my original wheels, the dash light goes off. In order for this to work, I would have to visit the dealership every time I change my wheels. If they reprogram for my new wheels, I would have to go back and have them do the same for my original wheels. What a joke!!!! They don't reprogram your car for free either. Thus, I drive for 4 months of winter with the dash light on, and the other 8 months without. I am not going to drive 60-70 miles one way to have them reprogram my TPMS every time I switch tires. Most of the time, I am switching to snow tires in mid-November. I am not giving up my time to do that. I would rather be in a deer stand! I should have bought the tires without adding sensors. The light reminds me that I wasted $160 on sensors. I would feel better spending $0 & have the dash light on!

That's why I am interested in cloning. Cloning was not a term used until recent years. I was pretty clear in what I wanted when talking to the dealership, but that was a few years ago now. At the time, they should have told me it couldn't be done. They somewhat pretended that it could be. I blame my ignorance of TPMS systems at the time, too.

A good TPMS system should accept 8 or more sensors. If 4 working sensors are detected, the dash light goes out. It's my understanding some countries that have severe winters have that feature with their TPMS systems. Their cars will accept more than one set of programmed sensors. We shouldn't even have to clone. A car should be able to recognize any sensor, register it automatically, and your dash light goes off. Unless a system works like that, it's really lame in my opinion. My hope is a 2017/18 Mirage sensors can be cloned. I hear people saying they can be. I just haven't heard anyone say they have yet.

I see no gain in buying 4 new sensors and having a dealership reprogram your car to them. That would be wasting money in my mind.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Well...you guys have finally whined enough that I will go ahead and clone one of my own OEM sensors and replace it with the Autel sensor. Once again I'm going to take one for the team.
    I am a BIG whiner on this topic! I am not going to deny the that! Personally, I think there is a market for this. Imagine a website/company that sells cloned sensors. You send them your year, make, model, and sensors numbers. From that information, they send you cloned sensors. Top Fuel - you could be on ground level for all this. We may be ordering cloned Mirage sensors through you? It would save us the cost of buying a tool we may not even need for any other cars we own.

Personally, a good TPMS should recognize & record any new sensors. Cloning &/or reprogramming your car is silly. I'm sorry! I need to quit whining! Look forward to your testing of this!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Hey...I hope it works! My head will explode if it doesn't. After all the TPMS grief we've been through, I don't blame anyone for being skeptical at this point.

If it does work, I would gladly program sensors for anyone who needs it done. You would just need to know your 4 sensor ID's. These sensors are reasonably priced, too. I'll keep you guys posted. If I don't do it this weekend, I'll try it next week.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Lots of good information here.

So from what I understand, I can purchase four of the Se10001hpr sensors, document each sensor ID, have them installed next time I buy tires, and then drive down to the dealership to pay whatever they charge for a reprogram.

The Se10001hpr can be had on Amazon for about $30 each.
    Vdo Instruments Se10001hpr Redi-Snsr Rubber Snap-In Tpms

I'm in no rush to do this, but its good to know the right way to do it whenever I get around to it. Thanks a bunch.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Cloning would be awesome, but unfortunately that isn't an option for my situation.

I actually had two broken TPMS sensors. The first one broke on its own, which I mentioned earlier in this thread. I bought one from Amazon and had Walmart install it.

The second one was on a seperate wheel and was actually damaged by Walmart. They were very honest, told me what they did and purchased me a new sensor at Autozone. This happened in the same visit where they were replacing the first sensor with one I purchased.

They tried doing a program after replacing the sensors and were not successful. I threw away both of the old sensors and I have no clue what the ID is for the sensors in the car.

So for my situation, I have no clue what IDs are programmed in the computer. It would be easiest for me to start over with a set of four new sensors, document the IDs, and pay the dealership to program the car to read those IDs.

Then with those IDs documented, I could simply have a set of sensors cloned should I ever need new sensors again.

I'm just rambling. This whole thing is a learning experience for me. I can change an AC compressor in 20 minutes but this stinking computer mess is a whole different world for me.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I use a 2015 Chevy Impala for behind-the-wheel lessons. The driving school I work for part time supplies the cars. You can check the psi of each tire on the Impala by pushing an info button the dash. It will show the tire pressure of each tire (driver side front, passenger side back, etc....). So what happens when we have our local mechanic rotate tires on that car. Do the psi reading match the tire location listed on the dash. I doubt it!

You know what I do? I walk about the car every time I drive it & inspect the tires. If I suspect one looks low, I pull out a tire gauge and check it. I don't always trust my life to technology. I tell my students that every time we cross a railroad track. Slow down and look for trains. Trusting your life to electronic flashing lights isn't worth it. A train will always win!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Cloning would be awesome, but unfortunately that isn't an option for my situation.

I actually had two broken TPMS sensors. The first one broke on its own, which I mentioned earlier in this thread. I bought one from Amazon and had Walmart install it.

The second one was on a seperate wheel and was actually damaged by Walmart. They were very honest, told me what they did and purchased me a new sensor at Autozone. This happened in the same visit where they were replacing the first sensor with one I purchased.

They tried doing a program after replacing the sensors and were not successful. I threw away both of the old sensors and I have no clue what the ID is for the sensors in the car.

So for my situation, I have no clue what IDs are programmed in the computer. It would be easiest for me to start over with a set of four new sensors, document the IDs, and pay the dealership to program the car to read those IDs.

Then with those IDs documented, I could simply have a set of sensors cloned should I ever need new sensors again.

I'm just rambling. This whole thing is a learning experience for me. I can change an AC compressor in 20 minutes but this stinking computer mess is a whole different world for me.
    Your situation makes total sense when you explain it. Since you are replacing two new ones, you may as well do all 4. If you only did the two & then an old one died, you would kick yourself. So I totally get what you are saying.

I would check with the dealership before purchasing something. If they can't program something your purchase elsewhere, they may charge you whether it works or not. I've heard some complain about that when it comes to replacing keys with chips in them.

Keys with chips, tire sensors - personally I could live without them. Then again, I grew up in a generation before child seats & still survived. Don't get me wrong! I am not knocking child seats! They are wonderful! Some things are more complicated than they need to be sometimes. TPMS are great, but they should work without this much hassle.