Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: TPMS questions

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,532 Times in 1,467 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jtr990 View Post
    ...you should have chosen an Autel TS601 or a TS508, since they're capable of doing an assisted TPMS relearn, like the Mitsubishi Mirage
    Thanks for pointing that out. Now...do I believe that's true because that's what the manufacturer's application chart says? Not really. I've bought (and returned) more than 1 TPMS tool where a manufacturer said it would work on a Mirage...and it didn't.

When I bought my current Autel tool I emailed them and they said the OBD functionality (relearn, reading TPMS trouble codes, reading TPMS IDs) would work on a Mirage. Then I got it and (surprise!) it didn't. I had several emails back and forth with their tech support engineers in China. They even made me a software update and had one of their guys here in the US try a few things. The end result from Autel..."Uhhh, you know what? Apparently our tool won't work on a Mirage after all."

Don't get me wrong...I appreciate that they tried to help. But at this point, I won't believe anything from any of these companies until I have the tool in my hand and it works on my Mirage. I would still like to have the ability to read/write IDs from the TPMS computer, but I really don't NEED that ability to address 99% of the TPMS issues I'll ever have. I'll stick with an inexpensive tool and just clone sensors.

The only tool I've seen that does seem to work with a Mirage is a tool from Bartec. And it requires the use of a special "Mitsubishi-only" cable during the re-learn process. The need for a unique Mitsubishi OBDII cable tells me that there is something odd about our systems that some manufacturers don't seem to understand. Here's a video of the Bartec tool...

https://youtu.be/miv_oQM4lyc

Last edited by Top_Fuel; 01-06-2019 at 04:16 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    You're talking about the Bartec Tech 400SD, am I right? Yes, the Mitsubishi Assisted Relearn cable is required for the Tech 400SD, Tech 400, and the Tech500. The Tech 300Pro, the Tech 1000 and the Tech 400Pro doesn't require that cable because they can do assisted relearns right out of the box. The shop I work with is considering replacing the Tech 400SD because the software support will end on December 31, 2019. I remembered one time when we install a Schrader EZ-Sensor 33500 on a Mitsubishi Outlander, whose one wheel was missing a sensor, just a regular valve stem in its place. To get the system to relearn, we plugged a Snap-on Solus Ultra into its OBD port and enable the TPMS relearn procedure. I used that Bartec tool as a trigger to activate all four sensors in a clockwise fashion. That relearn method with that diagnostic scan tool plugged in was successful and I haven't seen one of them made a comeback.

So, which Autel tool do you have right now? Not the TS501, is it?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    You're talking about the Bartec Tech 400SD, am I right? Yes, the Mitsubishi Assisted Relearn cable is required for the Tech 400SD, Tech 400, and the Tech500. The Tech 300Pro, the Tech 1000 and the Tech 400Pro doesn't require that cable because they can do assisted relearns right out of the box. The shop I work with is considering replacing the Tech 400SD because the software support will end on December 31, 2019. I remembered one time when we install a Schrader EZ-Sensor 33500 on a Mitsubishi Outlander, whose one wheel was missing a sensor, just a regular valve stem in its place. To get the system to relearn, we plugged a Snap-on Solus Ultra into its OBD port and enable the TPMS relearn procedure. I used that Bartec tool as a trigger to activate all four sensors in a clockwise fashion. That relearn method with that diagnostic scan tool plugged in was successful and I haven't seen one of them made a comeback.

So, which Autel tool do you have right now? Not the TS501, is it?
    I have a Bartec Tech 400SD. And I have 'the blue cable'. It will not put a Mirage into relearn mode, at least with the software I have (version 53).

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    I have a Bartec Tech 400SD. And I have 'the blue cable'. It will not put a Mirage into relearn mode, at least with the software I have (version 53).
    I can see why. Did you puchase a software update license (WRT400SUL1) to get those updates? And have you set up a Bartec USA account to register your tool? Typically, you need to purchase one in order to get your tool up to date. Plus, downloading Bartec TPMS Desktop to your computer will make updating your tool a lot easier. And since December 31, 2019 is the last time to provide software support for the Tech 400SD, I think now might be a good time to get an update.

But I should warn you, the 1-year software update license will cost $250 on AutoZone online. Not to mention the current software for that tool is version 58.1. However, once you purchase the license, register your tool, and update it to the latest version, you should be able to do an assisted relearn with the right equipment, including the blue cable you have right now.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    ...which Autel tool do you have right now? Not the TS501, is it?
    Yeah...it's a TS501. At the time I bought it (about a year ago) it supposedly would work on a Mirage according to Autel. I think they updated their website specs after dealing with me for a few months of back and forth tech support emails.

The TS501 works great on some vehicles. The OBD functionality worked great on my mom's Honda Odyssey. I could read/clear TPMS codes, and read the sensor IDs via the OBDII port, etc. But try any of those functions on a 2014+ Mirage and you get a standard message saying "This function is not supported."

It's just annoying that I can't communicate with the TPMS computer in a Mirage. But I'm not willing to spend any more money on tools at this point for something that I don't really need. Cloning seems like a no-brainer solution for 98% of TPMS replacements. And at least Autel's $130 tool can deliver on that promise.

Since you work in a shop, have you guys used something universal like Autel's 1-Sensor or Orange Electronics Simple Sensor? This seems like an easy way to handle the vast majority of TPMS sensor replacements without ever having to worry about relearns or touching the car's computer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    I can see why. Did you puchase a software update license (WRT400SUL1) to get those updates? And have you set up a Bartec USA account to register your tool? Typically, you need to purchase one in order to get your tool up to date. Plus, downloading Bartec TPMS Desktop to your computer will make updating your tool a lot easier. And since December 31, 2019 is the last time to provide software support for the Tech 400SD, I think now might be a good time to get an update.

But I should warn you, the 1-year software update license will cost $250 on AutoZone online. Not to mention the current software for that tool is version 58.1. However, once you purchase the license, register your tool, and update it to the latest version, you should be able to do an assisted relearn with the right equipment, including the blue cable you have right now.
    Thanks for the info.

I bought the Bartech used on Ebay pretty cheap about a year ago. It came with the case, manuals, cords, etc. According to Bartech, any 400SD loaded with version 52.0 or higher should be able to put a Mirage into TPMS learn mode. Of course, it doesn't.

I tried to update it through Bartech, but since it is still registered to the original purchaser I really can't. I downloaded Bartech's desktop software, but since I do not have any login or password info from the original purchaser the desktop software isn't of much use. Not worth putting any more money into this machine only to hope it will activate the TPMS relearn function when I can simply use it to clone new sensors with the ID numbers already stored in the car. And that is what I did.

Worse yet would be to spend money trying to update it only to find out it is stolen!

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Yeah...it's a TS501. At the time I bought it (about a year ago) it supposedly would work on a Mirage according to Autel. I think they updated their website specs after dealing with me for a few months of back and forth tech support emails.

The TS501 works great on some vehicles. The OBD functionality worked great on my mom's Honda Odyssey. I could read/clear TPMS codes, and read the sensor IDs via the OBDII port, etc. But try any of those functions on a 2014+ Mirage and you get a standard message saying "This function is not supported."

It's just annoying that I can't communicate with the TPMS computer in a Mirage. But I'm not willing to spend any more money on tools at this point for something that I don't really need. Cloning seems like a no-brainer solution for 98% of TPMS replacements. And at least Autel's $130 tool can deliver on that promise.

Since you work in a shop, have you guys used something universal like Autel's 1-Sensor or Orange Electronics Simple Sensor? This seems like an easy way to handle the vast majority of TPMS sensor replacements without ever having to worry about relearns or touching the car's computer.
    Yes, we have used universal progammable sensors - whether they're a Huf Intellisens, a Schrader EZ-Sensor, or an Autel MX 1-Sensor. All programmable sensors can be programmed by creating a new sensor ID or copy an existing sensor ID from an original sensor to a programmable sensor with a suitable programming tool. Mainly, we program those sensors with new sensor IDs for two reasons: First, the car won't arrive in the shop until a few days later. And second, some cars came in our shop with one sensor that's dead, broken, or missing. Plus, there are multi-application sensors in use on some cars we worked with.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to jtr990 For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (01-07-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Thanks for the info.

I bought the Bartech used on Ebay pretty cheap about a year ago. It came with the case, manuals, cords, etc. According to Bartech, any 400SD loaded with version 52.0 or higher should be able to put a Mirage into TPMS learn mode. Of course, it doesn't.

I tried to update it through Bartech, but since it is still registered to the original purchaser I really can't. I downloaded Bartech's desktop software, but since I do not have any login or password info from the original purchaser the desktop software isn't of much use. Not worth putting any more money into this machine only to hope it will activate the TPMS relearn function when I can simply use it to clone new sensors with the ID numbers already stored in the car. And that is what I did.

Worse yet would be to spend money trying to update it only to find out it is stolen!
    Well that's not good. I wouldn't be surprised considering that a Bartec Tech 300Pro with OBD support costs $1,200 on Tire Rack online.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I've had a couple of follow-up emails back and forth with Autel Tech Support regarding what their TPMS tools can (and can't) do with our cars. As suspected, when it comes to Mirage coverage, there is no simple answer.

A US customer support guy I talked to said my tool (TS501) can do everything with a Mirage.

Well, I know that's not right so I emailed one of their tech guys in China who has previously given me reliable information. Surprisingly he said my tool can do re-learns in a Mirage. So that's interesting. I'll have to try that to verify it.

He also stated that NO Autel tool can read sensor IDs from the TPMS module in a Mirage. He said not all TPMS modules are compatible with Autel tools for this function...and the Mirage happens to be one of them that isn't compatible.

Most of us will never need to read IDs from the TPMS computer or initiate a re-learn procedure as long as cloning is an available solution. So I'm just happy understanding the limitations of the tool at this point.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Daox (01-10-2019),jtr990 (01-12-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    I've had a couple of follow-up emails back and forth with Autel Tech Support regarding what their TPMS tools can (and can't) do with our cars. As suspected, when it comes to Mirage coverage, there is no simple answer.

A US customer support guy I talked to said my tool (TS501) can do everything with a Mirage.

Well, I know that's not right so I emailed one of their tech guys in China who has previously given me reliable information. Surprisingly he said my tool can do re-learns in a Mirage. So that's interesting. I'll have to try that to verify it.

He also stated that NO Autel tool can read sensor IDs from the TPMS module in a Mirage. He said not all TPMS modules are compatible with Autel tools for this function...and the Mirage happens to be one of them that isn't compatible.

Most of us will never need to read IDs from the TPMS computer or initiate a re-learn procedure as long as cloning is an available solution. So I'm just happy understanding the limitations of the tool at this point.
    That's good to know. I guess I'll take the Ateq and Bartec routes instead, and take an Autel MaxiTPMS PAD as a backup.

Last edited by jtr990; 01-12-2019 at 07:06 AM.