Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: TPMS questions

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tomrad View Post
    No, then you'd have to go to the dealer to have them programmed to your car.
    Plus, they would only have whatever battery life was left in them. Sensors have non-replaceable batteries that typically last for 6-7 years.

I actually bought a set of used sensors when I was under the impression that the ETACS system in the US Mirage could hold two sets of sensor codes, like European Mirages. They cannot.

On European Mirages, you can toggle between the two sets of TPMS sensors using the MID.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Plus, they would only have whatever battery life was left in them. Sensors have non-replaceable batteries that typically last for 6-7 years.
    I was wondering about the battery life. Does the sensor drain battery power 24/7 like a digital watch, or is it only activated when the wheel turns?

I have 208k miles on my wheels, so if it is activated based on driving, I would suppose that all of my batteries are dead anyway, hence me talking about changing all four sensors at once should I ever get around to doing it.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    I was wondering about the battery life. Does the sensor drain battery power 24/7 like a digital watch, or is it only activated when the wheel turns?

I have 208k miles on my wheels, so if it is activated based on driving, I would suppose that all of my batteries are dead anyway, hence me talking about changing all four sensors at once should I ever get around to doing it.
    I am no expert, but I do not believe they are broadcasting constantly. They have to be 'triggered', either by the ETACS communicating with the sensors to check their functionality or by the sensors communicating with the ETACS to indicate low tire pressure. There was a separate tool I had to buy to trigger them (literally called a "trigger tool"), at which time the sensor would broadcast the tire's psi and it's own ID number.

I think the ETACS communicates with the sensors either every time the ignition is turned on or every number of ignition cycles?

When I installed the second set of sensors on my snow wheels, installed them on my car, then unsuccessfully used the Ateq device to try to program them it took my car about TEN MILES to figure out something was amiss and finally throw the TPMS malfunction light.

The sensors I bought were out of a '15 Mirage with only about 12k on it...and this was a couple years ago...so I was confident they would last for a while. Each OEM TPMS sensor is stamped with a manufacture date as well.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    ...I can purchase four of the Se10001hpr sensors...have them installed next time I buy tires, and then drive down to the dealership to pay whatever they charge for a reprogram.
    Correct. My dealer charges $90 for this. I normally replace TPMS sensors when I get new tires (if the sensors are more than 5 years old).

They tried doing a program after replacing the sensors and were not successful.
    If you install new (non-cloned) sensors on a Mirage, you need a scan tool that can communicate to the ETACS module via the OBDII port to write the new Sensor ID's into the computer. I have not seen an aftermarket tool yet that can do that in a Mirage. My TPMS tool can do this in a Honda...but the Mirage is a no-go. Even my local shop was surprised when their $$$ tool didn't work on my car. So if you put new TPMS sensors in a Mirage, plan on making a trip to the dealer to have the ID's stored in your ETACS module.

...I have no clue what IDs are programmed in the computer.
    That can be frustrating. For convenience, I read each TPMS sensor ID and put it on a label inside the barrel of each wheel. If a sensor dies, I won't need to remove the tire to read the ID off of the sensor.

Name:  TPMS Label 2.jpg
Views: 570
Size:  74.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    You can check the psi of each tire on the Impala by pushing an info button the dash.
    I like GM's approach. Most GM cars are amazingly easy to program, too. You can do it with your key fob in most cases. Checking the air pressure on the dash is really convenient, too. I don't know why everyone doesn't offer this feature.

Each sensor has an accelerometer in it...so it knows when the car is moving.

I got bored one day and actually read the Service Manual. Here's what it says...

How often is the pressure data transmitted to the Mirage's computer?

As soon as the car starts moving, the reading is sent every 15 seconds for 30 transmissions.
    Then every 1 minute when the car is moving faster than 25km/hour.
    When the car is stationary, the signal is sent once every 13 hours.

So the sensors do "sleep" if the car doesn't move for a certain period of time. If your car has a ton of miles, I would expect that your sensor batteries may be close to their end of life. Some TPMS tools tools can tell you the condition of the battery...but I don't know how accurate this is.
    Last edited by Top_Fuel; 07-27-2018 at 03:48 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (07-28-2018)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Is it possible to shut down the TPMS module ?
    Greetings, Martin.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dewilde View Post
    Greetings, Martin.
    For how useful TPMS sensors really tend to be, that seems like the best option.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 33.6 mpg (US) ... 14.3 km/L ... 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.4 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Well, I hate to tell you this, Top_Fuel, but you should have chosen an Autel TS601 or a TS508, since they're capable of doing an assisted TPMS relearn, like the Mitsubishi Mirage in question (although Canadian-market Mirages didn't come with TPMS to begin with, so why would I have to explain about them?). An Autel TS501, being capable of doing OBD-II relearns on most vehicles, isn't supported because it can't do an assisted relearn. Whether you have Autel MX Sensors or VDO Redi-Sensors, the TS601 and TS508 can write sensor IDs into the ECU and reactivate the sensors the second time while it's plugged in - provided they were activated on the first step. I can give you the link to see if your Autel TPMS tool can do a TPMS relearn on your car. I got it right here.
    Last edited by jtr990; 01-06-2019 at 06:16 AM. Reason: Additional information

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jtr990 View Post
    Well, I hate to tell you this, Top_Fuel, but you should have chosen an Autel TS601 or a TS508, since they're capable of doing an assisted TPMS relearn, like the Mitsubishi Mirage in question (although Canadian-market Mirages didn't come with TPMS to begin with, so why would I have to explain about them?). An Autel TS501, being capable of doing OBD-II relearns on most vehicles, isn't supported because it can't do an assisted relearn. Whether you have Autel MX Sensors or VDO Redi-Sensors, the TS601 and TS508 can write sensor IDs into the ECU and reactivate the sensors the second time while it's plugged in - provided they were activated on the first step. I can give you the link to see if your Autel TPMS tool can do a TPMS relearn on your car. I got it right here.
    This has been a hot topic of discussion this past year. Most of us aren't interested in changing the sensor numbers stored in our cars. The only thing we are interested in doing is cloning the existing sensors on our car. If a sensor fails, we clone a new one to the old one. Even if we can't read the sensor, the code is stamped on it.

If I use a second set of snow tires, I want them to be cloned to the factory set. That's all I am interested in. I could care less about messing with the car. I want two sets of wheels that are cloned, and that is it.

Cloning is the way to go! If you sell your first Mirage and buy another, you can even reprogram your snow tires sensors to the second one. This is what we wanted and nothing more! Top Fuel has shared that with us, and I think he has done it quite nicely.

Check it out! You may have some good insight to it, too!

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...uick-Reference

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    You do have a point, Mark. Either method, OE-Relearn or ID-Cloning, will work just fine provided with the right tools to begin with. Since the TS508 and TS601 can also copy sensor IDs from the car's OBD port in addition to copy by activation, I guess there's nothing to worry about.
    Last edited by jtr990; 01-06-2019 at 08:44 AM.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dewilde View Post
    Greetings, Martin.

There is a way!

I was pissed off with the blinking TPMS light, and no normal way of correcting it outside of the dealership. So I took the main instrument out, removed the clear plastic to put a piece of black insulation tape over the TPMS LED.
    Now the light is off, and I have peace of mind.

BTW, I have always checked tyre pressure regularly, and don't miss the TPMS at all!