Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hooray! From Oklahoma, USA

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    How many miles are on it...and does it have 2 new tires by any chance?
    47K - and it has 4 new tires. Does she look familar? I'm sure CarMax got it from auction.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by leogryffin View Post
    Does she look familar?
    I just wanted to make sure that the car was still within the 5 year/60,000 warranty. It is, so that's great.

CarMax puts new tires on cars where the tread has worn down to a certain limit. That's a good thing...but just as important is why the tires needed to be replaced. 47K miles is near or beyond the life most people get out of the stock tires. So I don't see anything unusual for you.

In some cases (below), you have a Mirage with really low miles and 2 new tires...

Name:  newtires.JPG
Views: 335
Size:  34.4 KB

This one raises all kinds of red flags because of the possibility that the car may have an alignment problem. If the rear alignment is a problem, that's a $1,000+ repair waiting to happen.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

leogryffin (08-01-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Ah, that's good advice and observation. I hadn't even thought about why they might be replacing tires on low mileage vehicles -- makes total sense.

Thank yo!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Name:  new car at carmax.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  98.4 KB :d

6. The Following User Says Thank You to leogryffin For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (08-01-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    That Infra-red is a great color. I hope you enjoy your Mirage as much as we do here on the forum.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

leogryffin (08-01-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Hey leogryffin quit reading the forum and go drive your new Mirage lol.

What's your goals for this car? One of the first things I did was air up my tires. It reduced the rolling resistance, making this car even more fuel efficient. If you try this, go easy and keep to the maximum pressure noted on the tire sidewall. And you can't beat the price.

It's always pretty cool to see new Mirages pop up here on the forum. Enjoy.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

leogryffin (08-01-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Hey...I bought a car from CarMax and nobody took my photo! Guess they were just hoping that I would get in the car and drive away.

CarMax may not be the cheapest place to find a used car, but the cars I looked at there were all in super nice shape. I would not have an issue telling someone to buy a car from them.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

leogryffin (08-01-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Hey...I bought a car from CarMax and nobody took my photo! Guess they were just hoping that I would get in the car and drive away.

CarMax may not be the cheapest place to find a used car, but the cars I looked at there were all in super nice shape. I would not have an issue telling someone to buy a car from them.
    Ahaha!

Yeah, I had a good experience selling my '07 Yaris to them a few years back - the price was fair and it was so easy - and honestly, buying from them was a breeze. No pressure, friendly, worked with me for a couple of weeks to find just the right Mirage and get it shipped. I hadn't intended to buy from them but when I applied for financing a couple of cars popped up there that I wanted to see (not Mirages), one thing led to another. They also got me a better rate on the note from another lender, so that was a plus.

Yeah, I could have found one cheaper but I was so pleased with my experience that I have no regrets paying a little more.

Hey leogryffin quit reading the forum and go drive your new Mirage lol.

What's your goals for this car? One of the first things I did was air up my tires. It reduced the rolling resistance, making this car even more fuel efficient. If you try this, go easy and keep to the maximum pressure noted on the tire sidewall. And you can't beat the price.

It's always pretty cool to see new Mirages pop up here on the forum. Enjoy.
    I definitely want the fuel efficiency! I was trying to remember my tricks from my Yaris as I got used to driving a standard again. There aren't a lot of hills here in central OK but I was trying to coast and see how I'd do. It's at 43.8mpg with only about 60 miles driven since I left the lot in mostly rural and state highway driving (45-55mph, few stops.) I was always pushing my Yaris to do more (it was at 50.4mpg in mixed driving when I sold it in 2012) and I am excited to try some of the tips here on the forum!

I plan on adding aftermarket cruise at some point soon, and then taking it on a longer trip. Right now, I'm just happy to have a 5 speed back.

Any and all tips are appreciated - I'm off to read more about everything Mirage, and think of a name (I worked on a Star Trek mobile game and am a huge Trek nerd, and since this car is called the Space Star in other markets, chances are it'll end up being something Trek.)

If you got 50 from your Yaris, you'll be topping that in no time in the Mirage.

Based on the above, I suspect you know all this, but the basics are:

- Shift into the highest usable gear ASAP (means you may have to downshift if more power is needed when cruising)
    - Stick to the speed limit - speed kills MPG ( Speed vs. mpg/mileage/fuel economy chart - Mirage 1.2L 5-spd and CVT )
    - Minimize brake usage by coasting to stops & turns where possible & traffic permits.
    - Don't idle
    - Minimize A/C usage

a couple of cars popped up there that I wanted to see (not Mirages),
    I'm curious what the other cars were.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Daox (08-01-2018),leogryffin (08-01-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The other two cars that I wanted to look at were a 2013 Honda Fit with low miles, and a 2015 Kia Soul.

I wasn't willing to look at anything with an automatic transmission and it's really not all that easy to find low-mileage used manual transmission cars; it limited my choice locally, but they were able to ship this car from the Dallas area at no cost to me. I knew I'd love it and that it was, essentially, going to make me as happy as the delivery of my 2007 Yaris. I'm pleased to say that one day in I'm pretty thrilled! It took a little getting used to since it's been a few years since I've driven a stick - actually, I didnt even drive at ALL from 2011-2016 while I was living in NYC But now that I've had a chance to drive it around town a bit I am in love!

All good points on the MPG, I've been getting used to where neutral is (it's a little stiffer than the Yaris was to shift and neutral is in a slightly different location by feel.) and using it when braking. Thanks for the tip about upshifting as fast as possible - it's coming back to me, but the reminders never hurt.

I love this car! I am so delighted I found this forum!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to leogryffin For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (08-01-2018)