Thread: How do you adjust door handle tension cable?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

How do you adjust door handle tension cable?

Hi,

When I was changing speakers the door panel violently fell off and yanked the 2 cables (they look like bicycle brake cables) that control the door handle and the non-electric unlock from the inside toggle.

Now I can no longer open the drivers side door from inside the car because there is too much slack in the tension cable. How do I add more tension?

2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Disregard my stupid question. I did not see that on the blue and neon green plastic caps there is a ridge that needs to be inserted into the plastic slots. I just had them hanging free and this is why there was no tension.

On the tutorials here we should advise people just to take off the entire dang door panel instead of swiveling it to the side because most times the damn thing will fall down yanking the 2 cables out VIOLENTLY. Which is exactly what happened to me

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to fc321 For This Useful Post:

Eggman (07-28-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts
    Looking forward to reading your tutorial write-up.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yea it’s not much more work to totally remove the door panels plus it keeps them from falling off or swing and scratching them up because they are hard plastic and scratch very easily.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I agree with you FloridaG4

This is why I am unhappy that the majority (actually all the tutorials) I have read advise people to swivel the door and prop it up on a bucket or something. The fact is that if you know HOW that you can take off the 2 door cables in under 10 seconds. This is the proper way to do it and especially if you are planning to install sound deadening then you MUST remove the entire door panel.

I will have to put more grease on it now because I removed the grease with my clumsy fingers. The only grease I have is for firearms so I will use that expensive stuff that I use on my pistols