Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dolores Emergency Tire Replacement plus Alignment

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    In this part of the world, the car comes standard with LRR tyres, 165/65R14 usually being Bridgestone Ecopia 150. Haven't seen Dunlop Enasave on any new cars here.

The Bridgestone Ecopia are quite good summer tyres with low rolling resistance, and cost around €32.- each.

Another very good tyre, also with very good rolling resistance and lasting a bit longer the the previously mentioned, is
    the Continental EcoContact5, price starts about €45.-

Both mentioned are 100% summer tyres, and I would certainly not want to drive on snow and ice with any of those, and besides, it would be illegal here.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    In this part of the world, the car comes standard with LRR tyres, 165/65R14 usually being Bridgestone Ecopia 150. Haven't seen Dunlop Enasave on any new cars here.

The Bridgestone Ecopia are quite good summer tyres with low rolling resistance, and cost around €32.- each.

Another very good tyre, also with very good rolling resistance and lasting a bit longer the the previously mentioned, is
    the Continental EcoContact5, price starts about €45.-

Both mentioned are 100% summer tyres, and I would certainly not want to drive on snow and ice with any of those, and besides, it would be illegal here.
    If a person wants to stay with 165/65-14 tires, these are the options I see in the U.S. market -

Dunlop Enasave – factory tires that are expensive (LRR tires)
    Bridgestone Potenza RE92 – been around for a long time (LRR tires)
    Federal SS657
    Federal Formoza GIO
    Dunlop WinterMaxx WM02 – winter tires
    Nokian Nordman 7 – winter tires
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 – sold by Tirerack.com & have good reviews

That’s about it for tire options, except for a few Chinese tire brands that I would never consider. Federals are carried by a number of places, but have no experience with them. Nokian winter tires have a good a reputation. If you drive in a northern climate that includes snow, the Vredestein Quatrac 5 may be worth exploring? Our options for factory size tires are pretty limited in the U.S. market.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    That’s about it for tire options, except for a few Chinese tire brands that I would never consider.
    Never buy a Primewell tire. It is a made in China tire carried by Firestone Automotive Centers. I had a set of them on the Delorean and experienced tread separation at 70 mph. I've been very careful about my tire purchases ever since then.

I assume you could get khumo's there too? These might be a decent all around tire https://www.quattrotires.com/tires/k...olus-ha31/3996 (canadian site...)
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

winter tires

Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I assume you could get khumo's there too? These might be a decent all around tire https://www.quattrotires.com/tires/k...olus-ha31/3996 (canadian site...)
    You have more options in Canada verses the states. I even emailed the site you listed here late last fall, & they were unwilling to ship winter tires to the states. The U.S.A. Kumho tires website doesn't list any 165/65-14 tires. Kumho, Cooper, Goodyear, Firestone, Michelin, General, Falken, Uniroyal, etc... have zero 165/65-14 tire offerings.

If you want to stick with 165/65-14 tires, my list is pretty complete. I don't think that I am missing much. Simpletires.com will list some extra off brand Chinese tires, but that's about it.

Basic summer tires you're looking @ Dunlop, Bridgestone, & Federal.
    Winter tires you're looking @ Dunlop & Nokian.
    A true 4-season tire you're looking @ Vredestein.

More options may come up as time goes on, but I don't see much else. Some of these options could disappear, too.
    Last edited by Mark; 08-02-2018 at 06:09 PM.

We should probably start a new thread with stock tires that are available?? But I just found these ones too https://tires.costco.ca/SearchResult...%7C%7C%7Cen-ca
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    We should probably start a new thread with stock tires that are available?? But I just found these ones too https://tires.costco.ca/SearchResult...%7C%7C%7Cen-ca
    I agree! This belongs in its own thread.

I don't live near a Costco or have a membership. I've never even been in a Costco store. When I searched for 165/65-14 tires on Costco's website. The Bridgestone - Potenza RE92 are the only tires that come up. Nothing else is listed!

In my hometown area, Walmart is more popular. Walmart lists the Dunlop, Bridgestone, & Federal. That's it!

The U.S. tire market does not cater to this small tire. The 175/65-14 size is the starting point for many tire companies here.