Thread: Deprecation G4

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Deprecation G4

Thinking about the new G4. We road tested and I did write a review comparing to our 17 hatches. Couple hundred miles I see slightly used G4's for about 50% MSRP if we went that route would could save another 3 to 4 thousand dollars compared with buying new there are plus and minuses each way. It's a family decision and others prefer new if we do it and be done with it. This car would be driven 25yr and be parked in tight park places I will not be able to worry about scratches or dings like we do with our other vehicles the G4 would be more or less our beater exposed to everything. This month will be the month we decide. Anyone want to add 2 cents feel free.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    As long as the alignment checks out then I wouldn't worry about getting a low mileage used <20k miles. Our favorite little car has been ultra reliable so the extra 40k of warranty compared with a brand new one really doesn't make much difference. 60k for second owner, 100k for first owner. If you can save 50% why not?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

If you can save 50% of new then I'd say go that route. With the money you'd save you could probably afford to replace anything that would give you trouble in the next 200k miles(with low mileage used parts). I wouldn't even worry about the alignment unless you start to see crazy tire wear quickly. Stock dunlops do suck so don't expect them to last long. I've had 2 alignment checks on 2 different cars, one was fine, the other needed adjustment on the right front after replacing the control arm, spindle and strut. But that car hit a curb head on at 40mph so I expected it to be a little bit out of whack.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts

tires?

Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Stock dunlops do suck so don't expect them to last long.

When you replace stock tires on your Mirage fleet cars, do you stick with 165/65-14 tires or go with something else?

Do you have a good recommendation for replacement tires (brand/model)?

If you have already stated this on another thread, I apologize. Just curious what you do to keep all those cars running on good tires.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    The only thing less popular than a new G4 is a used G4. Maybe that's why the G4 rebates are larger than the hatchback rebates. Unless they roll out some serious fire sale pricing, I'm with inuvik on going used.

I will say that some of these latest CVT failures aren't giving me a warm fuzzy feeling about having one without a warranty. That would be my only slight concern about buying used and having less warranty. But the $5K you'll save buying used will buy you a few junkyard CVTs...so don't worry about it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    The only thing less popular than a new G4 is a used G4.
    /\ This! /\

Major problems are so few and far between with these cars that I don't know if I would bother buying a new one if something happened to mine. Mitsubishi could have given me a 10-year, 100,000 mile bumper-to-bumper warranty on this car, and it wouldn't have ended up costing them one extra dime. Nothing has gone wrong!

A @50% price break on a car we know is going to go 100,000+ trouble-free miles seems like a solid idea to me. Plus, depreciation on these cars is wretched...might as well let somebody else take the hit for you.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    I would prefer a depreciated one too!
    My 2014 is technically in perfect condition, and a new one would not be any better.
    So, why not let some other person foot the depreciation, unless of course, you are well off enough to through money out of the window without it hurting...

Country
    United States
    Thanks

economy cars

Quote Originally Posted by DottandDolores View Post
    I see slightly used G4's for about 50% MSRP if we went that route would could save another 3 to 4 thousand dollars compared with buying new
    When I became interested in a Mirage, I decided early on that I wasn’t going to pay more than $10,000 for one (new or slightly used). I really like the Mirage, but there isn’t anything that you could add to this car to make me pay more.

I paid $9299 (65.4% of the $14,220 window sticker price) for a new 2017 Mirage last October. If a slightly used version of my car existed for $7110 (50% of window sticker price) last fall, I would have jumped all over that. Since the 2017/18 models are basically the same, I wouldn’t hesitate to buy a slightly used one for less.

I really like my Mirage, but I never lose sight of what it is. The Mirage is a cheap economy car. In my mind, nothing really changes that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    When you replace stock tires on your Mirage fleet cars, do you stick with 165/65-14 tires or go with something else?

Do you have a good recommendation for replacement tires (brand/model)?

If you have already stated this on another thread, I apologize. Just curious what you do to keep all those cars running on good tires.
    Once the dunlops are worn out I put on 185-60-14 https://tirecraft.com/tires-wheels/t...adial-maxtour/ For the winter we use a few different brands(all cheapish) but the sailun iceblazer's seem to last the longest and the drivers like them. I'm sure there are much cheaper and better quality tires available but I don't place the orders. I haven't had any problems with having 185's on the 4.5" wheel though they are noticeably heavier and do look a little too wide.

I've never kept track of how many miles a set of tires lasted as I swap them out in the fall and again in the spring. But we can usually get 2-2 1/2 seasons out of a set of the 185's which is about 70-100k kms (45-60k miles?)
    Last edited by Fummins; 08-02-2018 at 01:16 PM.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I haven't had any problems with having 185's on the 4.5" wheel though they are noticeably heavier and do look a little too wide.
    When driving small, lightweight, front-wheel-drive cars, I have found skinny tires do better in snow. Thus, I wouldn't go out of my way to put to real wide tires on car like the Mirage. Having said that, a 175/65-14 tire would have been a much better choice for the U.S. market. It seems like many of the major tire companies start with that small tire size in their line up, & that size even looks more natural on the car to me. A number of forum members are using this slightly larger size (23" diameter) without issue, too.

It's good to know 185/60-14 run ok on 4.5" rims, too. Personally, I don't mind a 165/65-14 size tire, because the Mirage is a small economy car. A 175/65-14 tire gives an owner a lot more options in the U.S. & thus the appeal!