Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 4th front wheel bearing I've had to replace now

Country
    United States
    Thanks

4th front wheel bearing I've had to replace now

Hi everyone,

Please forgive me if this has already been discussed in another thread but I have not been able to find anyone else talking about this.

So, I've had my Mirage for almost 4 years now. Bought it brand spanking new (only had 12 miles on it when I signed the papers). Through out the 4 years that I've had it, she's treated me great except for the fact that I am now having to replace my 4th wheel bearing. The first 2 times I had to replace one was within the first 6-8 months that I've had it. Then the 3rd one was about a year and a half ago. Now, I have an appointment this Thursday at the dealership to get my 4th one replaced. I've had the other 3 replaced there too. It's still covered under warranty apparently but I'm just wondering if anyone else is having this issue. It doesn't seem right that I have to keep taking my Mirage back to the dealer ship to get a new wheel bearing put on. It only has 67 thousand and some change miles on it. I don't drive it rough. It's mainly driven on the highway. I keep up with the tire replacement and rotations. I just don't get it. I've had other cars before in the past that have had over 100,000 miles on them and they rode great. No rumble noise or shaking. No uneven tire wear. If anyone else has been having this problem please let me know. I feel like there should be a recall or something.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Front or rear wheel bearing? Same side every time?

Not a common problem as far as I've heard.
    Simplify and add lightness.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    I had to replace one, but it is only because I had to replace the brake drum. At 84k, I put on a used drum/bearing that had 41k on it. Had to replace that drum/hub few hundred miles later because it started making noise. The bearing came apart in my hand when I pulled it off.

Three of my bearings have 100k on them, one has about 55k. As was mentioned, your problem is unusual.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 667 Posts
    Yep, most unusual problem!

Was it always the same person diagnosing the problem and fixing it?
    Maybe that's the problem and not the bearing!
    You probably want to do a check yourself, just in case.
    Last edited by foama; 08-06-2018 at 01:41 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Does anyone have any recommendations on where to get bearings or part numbers? At 211,000 miles on my car, it is just a matter of time until one of mine goes out, one would think.

I just checked Rock Auto and they are over $100 each! There has to be a cheaper alternative.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Gotta love the made in China garbage. You can get a complete hub with bearing for just $69 on eBay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2014-2018-M...LH_TitleDesc=0

7. The Following User Says Thank You to stevedmc For This Useful Post:

fc321 (01-28-2019)

Yes, curious to know if it's always front or rear / which side.

Can't resist: you're not driving like this, are you?

Name:  nJCOT.jpg
Views: 1928
Size:  8.6 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

fc321 (01-28-2019),Fummins (08-07-2018),mohammad (02-18-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Hey guys, sorry it took me a few days to reply. It's always been the front 2. After my apt this Thursday both front bearings will have been replaced twice. I'm wondering if maybe it IS the mechanic that's been putting them on at the dealership since no one's really had this issue. I've only taken it to the dealership to get the bearings replaced because I hate dealing with them and they're so unnecessarily expensive. Everything else (new tires, oil changes, general maintenance etc.) I take to another garage. I'm hoping this will be the last time I have to get them replaced.

Haha no, MetroMPG, I don't drive my baby like that

11. The Following User Says Thank You to nwr251 For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (08-07-2018)

I've had a few cars need a front wheel bearings replaced.(maybe 2 cars out of 38ish) I took the one car to the dealer and they covered under warranty. I just installed a used spindle on the second car cause it was faster than waiting a few days for the dealer to do it.

Maybe whoever is replacing yours is pressing on the wrong part of the bearing or they're over/under tightening the axle nut causing it to crap out early..?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,557 Times in 1,118 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I've had a few cars need a front wheel bearings replaced.(maybe 2 cars out of 38ish) I took the one car to the dealer and they covered under warranty. I just installed a used spindle on the second car cause it was faster than waiting a few days for the dealer to do it.

Maybe whoever is replacing yours is pressing on the wrong part of the bearing or they're over/under tightening the axle nut causing it to crap out early..?
    i has the same thought about maybe whoever is doing the replacement isn’t doing it correctly.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)