Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 4th front wheel bearing I've had to replace now

Still, the first 2/4 that failed on nwr251's car were put on at the factory. Presumably by a correctly calibrated worker!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Still, the first 2/4 that failed on nwr251's car were put on at the factory. Presumably by a correctly calibrated worker!
    Sounds like you have a bad hub that is causing premature bearing failures.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    Sounds like you have a bad hub that is causing premature bearing failures.
    Yeah that may be true but don't you think they would check that if this is now the 4th bearing I got replaced by them?

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I was wondering. What if the steering knuckles were to blame for premature failure on the press-fit front wheel bearings?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    If you end up having to go back again for same issue, go to a DIFFERENT dealer next time to make sure its not the mechanic who need "replacing".
    2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Food for thought........the bearing that I replaced on my 2015 was NOT marked NTN like the new (OEM Mitsubishi) is marked. I can't seem to find any markings on the old bearing, no manufacturer name or part number.
    I'm guessing there may be, or have been, more than one bearing supplier to Mitsubishi for these cars.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    No updates?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    No updates?
    Updates? You mean on my wheel bearing, or the original poster's wheel bearing? Mine is on another thread - 'wheel bearing maybe' and the one mentioning the speed sensor, 'Wheel speed sensor replacement - important info when replacing wheel bearing'. Those speed sensors don't come out unless you live in the south, or the car never leaves the garage. If you never have to replace the wheel bearing, you should be ok, the sensor only has to come out when removing the bearing from the knuckle.
    Oh, and the new OEM (made by NTN) bearing is silent! The car is much nicer now, I stopped driving it for a few days because of the noise and vibration form the bad bearing (which, by the way, felt tight, no play in it at all).
    Yes, back to 45 mpg (my truck uses 3x that much fuel).
    Last edited by tomrad; 04-25-2021 at 03:36 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Strange how some people have certain problems. Not wheel bearings, but I myself have to do constant realignments. Never before have I done so many alignments yet no one else seems to have this problem either. This thing comes out of alignment from the slightest bump or pothole. I have never had a vehicle need alignments so much. I paid like $150 one time at the dealer and the thing was out of alignment the next day. Now I just live with good enough lifetime alignments at pepboys when it needs it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 38.8 mpg (US) ... 16.5 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tomrad View Post
    Updates? You mean on my wheel bearing, or the original poster's wheel bearing? Mine is on another thread - 'wheel bearing maybe' and the one mentioning the speed sensor, 'Wheel speed sensor replacement - important info when replacing wheel bearing'. Those speed sensors don't come out unless you live in the south, or the car never leaves the garage. If you never have to replace the wheel bearing, you should be ok, the sensor only has to come out when removing the bearing from the knuckle.
    Oh, and the new OEM (made by NTN) bearing is silent! The car is much nicer now, I stopped driving it for a few days because of the noise and vibration form the bad bearing (which, by the way, felt tight, no play in it at all).
    Yes, back to 45 mpg (my truck uses 3x that much fuel).
    OP's wheel bearing but your experience is valued as well.