Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sawyer Tuning ST8PRO OBD Performance Chip

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Sawyer Tuning ST8PRO OBD Performance Chip

After some of the recent forum activity regarding OBD2 chip tuners, I did some research and began to ask some questions. I got the information, answers, and opinions I was looking for and was confident enough to have a go at one of these OBD2 chips. I know, I know "...its a resistor scam chip, it could do harm, its just a set of blinking lights...". Believe me, I am uber-sceptical as well. But there are now a handful of different companies that are using this "new" technique of adjusting air/fuel mix and advancing the ignition timing, via their ODB2 chips.

A couple of these chips were mentioned and reviewed here:
    https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...3860#post73860

Performance Chip Reviews has a review on the VP15 OBD2 Volo Chip:
    http://www.performancechipreviews.com/vp15-volo-chip/

Name:  volo1.jpg
Views: 3944
Size:  48.8 KB

https://volo-performance-inc.myshopi...roducts/675g97

Here is forum member Loren and his initial take:
    "Did a little more research. Volo sounds like the real deal. Again, not a full "custom tuning" solution. But, for $129, all indications are that it is capable of doing what it claims".

"I went ahead and pulled the trigger and ordered one. Will do a new thread and review at some point. This could be just the thing to help me get more out of the header and exhaust that I put on my Mirage".

Loren's thread is here:
    https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...VP15-OBD-Tuner

Performance Chip Reviews has a review on the Sawyer Tuning ST8PRO OBD2 ECU Performance Chip:
    http://www.performancechipreviews.co...formance-chip/

Name:  ST8PRO.jpg
Views: 3752
Size:  12.6 KB

http://www.sawyertuning.com/product/...ogrammer-30hp/

I was going to try the Volo VP15 as well, but decided to try the ST8PRO instead. They essentially do the same thing and seem to share some of the same "hardware architecture". Though, the Volo has some "tuning" customization capability that the ST8PRO does not. I had a good back and forth with the Sawyer Tuning rep and he assured me of his guarantee of viability:
    "Yes, we support the 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage in the ST8PRO chip. Yes, all our products come with a lifetime warranty and can be returned if not happy with the results. However, we are sure you will be impressed with the gains. The chip does detect mods and fuel grade changes and adds them into the tune".

The price is also $130, which is very reasonable. I figured I had nothing to lose after being assured that the chip would not have any negative effects on the engine. The $130 will pay for itself in about a year for me, if i can get a couple MPG's.

I am going to leave the technical descriptions for Loren, I am just a novice "modder" having fun while getting the most out of our little platform we love so much. That said, this thing actually works! Throttle response is quicker, smoother, and more even as well. The power increase is noticeable as the engine feels "more free" and responsive. The "low-end" torque is really there when you ask for it and the engine revs up to speed quicker now. The engine runs to redline more evenly. Acceleration is improved. It feels as though the "power band" has been expanded by a few 100 RPM's. High-speed engine response is improved and cruising is effortless. The idle is smoother, even reverse seems "less jumpy."

I consistently saw higher initial peak numbers on my MPG's. At the end of my 1st set of runs (approx 220+ miles), I was up over +1 point MPG (with fairly aggressive driving). This may improve, as eluded to by the time table (a week or two) given for intelligent learning to adjust to personal driving habits over a period of time. Later...after a reset of the chip and a test of more than 300 miles, im up 2+ full points MPG. Ill report back again, should any changes occur after an extended period of time.

Is this a technical analysis with dyno runs and graphs...no (maybe later). But I can tell you that this chip worked for me, much to my surprise. This is a "ground floor" tune that actually works and if you let the MPG's happen, you will get a couple. The chip can (MPG's) pay for itself in as little as a year and has a money back guarantee from Sawyer Tuning. Is it as good as a re-flash...maybe not. But I cant imagine it being far off. This will get me by until an accessible path to a "proper" tune is made available. Heres a link to our progress there:
    https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...ere-are-we-now

Last edited by Qrush; 08-05-2018 at 04:57 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Qrush For This Useful Post:

Angrybeaver (08-31-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Qrush View Post
    The chip does detect mods and fuel grade changes and adds them into the tune.
    This is interesting. How is this done? I would like to learn more about this.

Perhaps your vendor representative can explain.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Sawyer Tuning responses:
    "We guarantee that all our products are not scam chips or resistor hacks. The ST8PRO is our latest vehicle tuning module, and uses a microprocessor programmed with our custom code to provide improved vehicle performance. It is programmed for only one vehicle and has over/under voltage protection, power save mode, and intelligent learning. "

"Each vehicle is different, but typically it takes approx 250 miles/two weeks to deliver full gains."

"The chip is smart and does detect mods/fuel grade changes and adds them into the tune. It can account for race grade fuel as well. It monitors all incoming engine data and incorporates it into the tune."

"The adjustments are governed by our 'on the fly' programming. Our module contains several memory slots, each with custom adjustments for a specific ECU memory location. When connected to the ECU, the module overrides the specific memory location governing the feature we wish to change. When the vehicle 'reads' this location, it uses our module values instead of the original value. All other memory locations remain unchanged. This process is temporary, so when the module is removed, the ECU uses the stock values and nothing is permanently changed."

If you have any more specific questions you would like answered, these guys are very accesssible. Contact at: sawyertuning@gmail.com

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CarlosMRG View Post
    Maybe It's just me...
    Ya, its just you.

This is the page for the Performance Chip Reviews page for the Volo VP15:
    http://www.performancechipreviews.com/vp15-volo-chip/

At the bottom of the page, in the reviews sections, you will see a back and forth about CarlosMRG's review page:
    wes
    SEPTEMBER 2, 2018 AT 4:43 PM
    "staff and guests alike… look at this site."
    https://www.carperformancechipreview...p15-volo-chip/
    *link corrected

"this site looks to be the exact same layout as THIS SITE but slight differences.. the products you have put through the tests, blinker boxes, on this site seem to boast the opposite results of gaining power and torque."

"just wondering if anyone else has seen this site lol i’m pretty convinced that THIS site, performancechipreviews.com, is legit compared to that.. looks like the layout, the blue lambo, almost the same name?.. something tells me the scammers have seen this site – and are trying to intervene with mixing reviews…."

"i will be replying with some feedback on the volo vp15 upon arrival, install, and rubber burn ��"

Staff
    SEPTEMBER 2, 2018 AT 7:28 PM
    "Your suspicions are correct – that fake review site is a copy of ours and is owned by the makers of the GTE and JDM chip blinker scams. They have no real proof, just a few screen grabs of a circuit board on YouTube. We may have to make a full post exposing this copycat site. Thanks for letting us know, Good luck!"

The same was said in another back and forth on the Performance Chip Reviews page for the Sawyer Tuning ST8PRO:
    http://www.performancechipreviews.co...formance-chip/

At the bottom of the page, in the reviews sections, you will see another back and forth about CarlosMRG's review page:
    Tom
    AUGUST 29, 2018 AT 4:32 AM
    "This site https://www.carperformancechipreviews.com/ST8PRO/ says the ST8PRO is a scam."
    *link corrected

"I purchased one and think it’s fine and does the job as advertised."

"Why would you guys rate it different than car performance chip reviews?"

"Who do we believe?"

"Thanks."

Staff
    AUGUST 29, 2018 AT 5:04 AM
    "Thanks for the observation. We have been aware of this copycat website for some time now. It is a fake review site run by the company that makes GTE and JDM chips, both verified scams by our testing. The website design was copied from our site in an effort to confuse buyers. In essence, when they could not shut us down and their numerous hack attempts on us failed, they made their own fake ‘review’ site. Aside from the numerous misspellings and sentence issues, their site offers 0 real world proof of any analyses because they haven’t done any. They have no verified reviews, they are all fabricated by themselves to push their two light blinkers, the GTE and JDM chips. They are the only two that get a ‘good’ rating. They owned this domain for a few years and had other content on it. Now all of a sudden, they copy our design and claim they had the site up since 2010 or so – utter BS, like their products."

"This is not the only fake review site they operate. They have others which are even less believable."

"Thanks for pointing out their scam site, but we were already aware of it. As they say, imitation is the deepest form of flattery."

"Hopefully no unsuspecting buyers will fall for their obviously fake data."

With that, I am going to leave it to the forum members to make their own minds up about this.
    Last edited by Qrush; 09-06-2018 at 09:11 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Okay, let's keep this discussion in one manageable thread and hold back from double posts. Hopefully we can have a positive approach here.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Okay, let's keep this discussion in one manageable thread and hold back from double posts. Hopefully we can have a positive approach here.
    Fair enough.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,557 Times in 1,118 Posts
    See Qrush, both review sites can be a Scam, are you agree? or you have a personal interest on the site you're defending?

The only Chip I ever used it's the ST8PRO and after Sawyer Tuning deny to give me my refund I started looking on the internet for reviews and I've found performancechipreview.com telling only lies to help to sell the ST8PRO and Volo Chinesse Chips.

The other Chips you're mentioning I never tested, have you?

Or you only have blind faith to the performancechipreview site?

Please tell us what chips have YOU tested?
    We generally like to keep the demeanor friendly and supportive here on the forum. If that's something that you aren't interested in then there is a Facebook group not affiliated with us that might be more tolerant of negative energy.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    On the other thread you said the Volo VP15 does not work, and this was the 1st chip you mentioned so vigorously:
    This Chip doesn't do anything... SCAM
    Now you are saying you only chip you ever used was the ST8PRO:
    The only Chip I ever used it's the ST8PRO
    So which is it? The VP15, which you spammed was a SCAM, as your intro to our community? Or the ST8PRO, which you now claim to be equally a SCAM? What happened to your hardware? Why wouldn't Sawyer/Volo return your items? Why not start your own thread about your experience? Why flame each thread? Listen, I am a busy guy. This thread is about MY review of the ST8PRO. I do not have time to argue about a product I am VERY happy with. I am NOT here trying to sell anything. But, I think you are. Its like your trying to put out fires, but for who? Smells...fishy. With all due respect - you come with no standing in the community, and basically tell senior members that their research/review of a product is false, and that they now have to defend their position. You got real stones, man.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Sorry If I did something wrong,
    just I'm disappointed with the results and my Bad experience using ST8PRO performance Chip.
    I don't want to see anyone else make the same mistake as I did.

I do apologize and I'll try to show more positive.
    Yeah, I can see where you're coming from. If I got burned that bad, I'd be pretty upset too.

So let's take a breath and try again. I think this would be a good thread CarlosMRG for you to share your experience in detail. There's a chance we can find out what went wrong, avoid it from happening to others (as you suggest) and hopefully make it work.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

CarlosMRG (09-06-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,557 Times in 1,118 Posts
    Now you act like a bully,
    I don't have the rights to speak to a SENIOR MEMBER like that.

I signup to the site, see your review. Both Volo and Sawyer Tuning are the same. So I try to warn those products doesn't work.
    Maybe none of the Chips actually work...

I'm not selling anything, just give my review on the Chip. Doesn't work. And you can find other websites reviews telling the same as I.
    But we need to believe the one you like or support or you'll try to kick people out of the Forum?
    OK, everyone. Let's all take a 5 minute keyboard break and do some deep breathing exercises.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

CarlosMRG (09-06-2018)