Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tambourine like noise while acceleration

Country
    Iran
    Thanks

tambourine like noise while acceleration

hello everyone this is my first post here and I have a question and it might sound dumb but I hope I can get a good convincing answer

so I have a 2017 mirage CVT and when I'm in somewhere with walls around I can clearly hear a tambourine like sound while pressing the gas pedal slightly ( 1500 to 2000 RPM ) reflecting and It's not really visible on idle but it's specially present while acceleration on uphill parking ramps. someone told me it's knocking but I'm not sure ( in my country the fuel quality is bad but no naturally aspirated car ever had problem so I doubt it).

the car doesn't have much millage it's approaching 30k KM.

also another thing I noticed is when car is on idle and the a/c compressor kicks in dashboard light/maplight gets a bit dimmer then goes back to normal, I was wondering if it's normal?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nimas1377 View Post
    hello everyone this is my first post here and I have a question and it might sound dumb but I hope I can get a good convincing answer

so I have a 2017 mirage CVT and when I'm in somewhere with walls around I can clearly hear a tambourine like sound while pressing the gas pedal slightly ( 1500 to 2000 RPM ) reflecting and It's not really visible on idle but it's specially present while acceleration on uphill parking ramps. someone told me it's knocking but I'm not sure ( in my country the fuel quality is bad but no naturally aspirated car ever had problem so I doubt it).

the car doesn't have much millage it's approaching 30k KM.

also another thing I noticed is when car is on idle and the a/c compressor kicks in dashboard light/maplight gets a bit dimmer then goes back to normal, I was wondering if it's normal?
    Welcome to the forum! Can you make a short video of the issue and post it?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

I had a long reply typed out earlier but it went mia? My guesses are the air cleaner(or snorkel)flopping around or the exhaust. The 17 and newer Mirages sometimes make an annoying vibration/noise under light load while driving. I've heard it at slower speeds(30-60kphish). The cause is the two rearmost rubber exhaust hangers. Search for a thread titled "unacceptable vibration" or something like that.

As for the lights dimming, I wouldnt' sweat it. The alternator kicks in and out as needed.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Iran
    Thanks
    sadly I cant rn because I have to find a place where I can replicate it

Country
    Iran
    Thanks
    thank you for your reply I will search for it

and thanks again for the lights

Country
    Iran
    Thanks
    Here is the voice https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FyS...w?usp=drivesdk
    You have to listen carefully and with high volume

Country
    Iran
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    Welcome to the forum! Can you make a short video of the issue and post it?
    I posted the link in the forum!

Quote Originally Posted by nimas1377 View Post
    I posted the link in the forum!
    I can hardly hear anything. Does it sound like this
    I think Daox had the same noise with his.
    Other guesses are loose heat shield on the rear cat convertor.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Iran
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I can hardly hear anything. Does it sound like this
    I think Daox had the same noise with his.
    Other guesses are loose heat shield on the rear cat convertor.
    I don't think it's the same
    here is another recording
    if you listen carefully there is a rattle like thing like for example an old fridge
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1O0_...usp=share_link
    seconds 15-19 is where it's more clear

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,420 Times in 1,027 Posts
    nimas1377 - I heard the noise in your sound clip. It is very light, not what I was expecting. I wouldn't say it sounds like a tambourine, at least not what I was hearing. It sounds like something rather unimportant. I wouldn't sweat it too much, as it doesn't sound like a problem that would lead to a breakdown. I recommend to let it manifest. Meaning, see if it gets worse. If it gets worse, it would be easier to identify.

If I were to take a guess, it sounds like something in the exhaust hangers or rear suspension.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)