Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Add OEM Cruise to 17-18 US Mirages easily and without changing your steering wheel!

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Add OEM Cruise to 17-18 US Mirages easily and without changing your steering wheel!

Hi everyone!

I recently purchased a 2018 ES for myself after having enjoyed and noticing how dang reliable and economical these things are from my sisters 2015 RF.

However, knowing that if I got a base I thought maybe I would live without Cruise. I was wrong. I drive too much and this engine doesn't have enough power.

So I did some research at a fairly local salvage yard and found that the accessory plug was in place, on base models...even ones without the Audio controls.

Name:  539E661D-547A-46B9-837D-50D7D89CBEA8.jpg
Views: 5147
Size:  89.7 KB

Even better find however, was when I took my airbag out and found that with the audio controls, BOTH the Audio and CRUISE harness were in place....

Name:  Look, a hidden plug! .jpg
Views: 4533
Size:  82.3 KB

Sooooo...

Here are the tools and materials needed to add OEM cruise to a 17+ with audio controls. (All 18s have audio controls)

Materials and tools needed:

Small Flat Head Screwdriver
    Stubby Phillips Screw Driver
    Set of Open End Wrench
    Clutch Switch - Mitsubishi 8606A025
    Cruise Switch - Mitsubishi 8602A110
    Small 10mmx1.25 Fine Jam Nut

Alright, down to the meat and potatoes.

So this is pretty easy, but there are a few parts that will scare off the uninformed.

*ALSO, I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY ISSUES THAT MIGHT OCCUR WHILE COMPLETING THIS*

*PLEASE BE CAREFUL OF ALL AIRBAG (YELLOW) CABLES - If you are at all uncomfortable, disconnect the battery!!*

1.) Remove AirBag and delete panel.

Name:  Where are the pops and scres.jpg
Views: 5450
Size:  86.2 KB

To remove the AirBag, there are 5 holes on the back of the steering wheel. The 2 that I highlighted with yellow are the singular screws that hold in the switch panels. The 3 which are pink are the holes which allow a small flat head screw driver to press in on the airbag retainers. These are quite strong and take a quick, firm, but careful stab to actuate. They are simply spring loaded, and as you pop each one out, the airbag will move towards you until it falls out.

2.) Now I'm serious, that was the hardest part. Now, remove the right screw for the delete panel on the back of the steering wheel that I highlighted with yellow. Your delete panel will pop out with a green plug clipped into it. Unclip and set aside.

Name:  8C1DE8ED-E26A-4D5D-AEC1-0A1A9B2E1048.jpg
Views: 4496
Size:  95.1 KB

3.) Replace the delete panel with your new Cruise switch, screw the screw back into the back of the steering wheel, and push the airbag back in until it clips. You're done with the steering wheel switch.

4.) Now, lets start on the clutch switch.

This is pretty easy, but sadly I have minimal pictures.

There is a pretty, shiny black panel which hides all the wires makes the somewhat unfinished car look finished. You can remove this panel by removing the plastic phillips screws, then removing the clip.

Now, bend your head into an uncomfortable position, and you'll see an empty hole, along with a white plug tapped up on the clutch harness. Remove the tape and plug that plug into the new clutch switch, then put your jam nut onto the switch and tighten it onto to the clutch assembly.

Name:  Inked37777221_1558276320966907_2529706930998345728_o_LI.jpg
Views: 4432
Size:  83.5 KB

You're done. Put the shiny plastic panel back in there, and do your ETACs programming.

Follow DOAX's How-To for downloading and setting up the computer for Cruise. He also has a few more pictures that may clarify a few things.

And yes, this is slightly more expensive then DOAX's kit. If you are looking for the cheapest way to add cruise, BUY HIS KIT! It's awesome! But I am an OEM nut.

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...bling-in-ETACs

Hope this helps a few people out!

Last edited by tytotheler92; 08-08-2018 at 03:25 AM.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to tytotheler92 For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (08-08-2018),Daox (08-08-2018),Fummins (05-24-2019),MetroMPG (07-28-2021),Top_Fuel (08-08-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts
    Nice job. Thanks for documenting and sharing your work. How much did your switches cost?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Nice job. Thanks for documenting and sharing your work. How much did your switches cost?
    It depends. If you happen to find the switch in a local junkyard, you can grab the Audio and Cruise switch and even the harness and add AUDIO controls too! (No programming required on a base 2017 to get audio) And it should cost a maybe 10-20 bucks...

I paid $80 for the cruise switch on eBay..that seems to be the going rate when they show up. They're about $120 new.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Great write up!

If you have the segmented steering wheel with the blanks, I would get the OEM switches too. It looks cleaner, and is more convenient to have the switches right at your thumb tips.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    I've also added this to the mods list. Thanks for the write up!
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    I've also added this to the mods list. Thanks for the write up!
    I agree. And sweet, thanks!

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I am trying to do this to my 2017 US Mirage ES and I am not seeing the green connector in there at all, I was wondering if not all vehicles have them. Also I was wondering if it would be possible to buy a different wiring harness that wires up to the clock spring that would allow me to connect the cruise control buttons?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sgtsuicide82 View Post
    I am trying to do this to my 2017 US Mirage ES and I am not seeing the green connector in there at all, I was wondering if not all vehicles have them. Also I was wondering if it would be possible to buy a different wiring harness that wires up to the clock spring that would allow me to connect the cruise control buttons?
    I thought I mentioned that some 17s don't have audio controls, and thus would be missing the harness, but I didn't.

The harness is plug and play and the part number is somewhere in this or in my documentation. I can check later as I'm replying from my phone.
    Last edited by tytotheler92; 09-21-2018 at 08:48 PM.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I found part number 4400A401 on another thread for the harness. Is this the same one you have. Just want to make sure I ordered the right part.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Totally slipped my mind!

That's the right one!