Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Consumer Reports September 2018 Issue, Used Car Ratings: Mirage reliable & terrible

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts

Consumer Reports September 2018 Issue, Used Car Ratings: Mirage reliable & terrible

Someone just gave me the September 2018 issue of Consumer Reports (CR) magazine and I spotted this headline on the cover...

9 Terrific Used Car Picks

Name:  CR_3.JPG
Views: 1509
Size:  32.2 KB

Well…of course I had to flip to that article to see if the Mirage shows up somewhere.

They had cars grouped by size category (full size, intermediate, compact, etc.) so I immediately found the sub-compact group. According to the CR "overall" score, out of the 12 subcompact cars they rated, the Mirage came in...last.

I've never had a ton of confidence in CR's automotive ratings because most of the reliable cars I've owned in the past usually turned up with CR reliability ratings much lower than I had personally experienced.

Here are the sub-compact ratings as shown in the issue of CR...

Name:  CR_1.jpg
Views: 5122
Size:  80.3 KB

…and here’s how they rate each category…

Name:  CR_2.jpg
Views: 1314
Size:  101.0 KB

A few observations to make...

Only 4 sub-compact cars have a good reliability rating, and the Mirage is one of them. Only the Yaris ranks higher in terms of reliability.

The Mirage has a poor Owner Satisfaction rating. Owner Satisfaction is based on whether or not you would definitely buy the car again. It’s interesting that half of the cars in this category have a poor Owner Satisfaction rating…and none have a good rating! That makes me wonder if people have their expectations too high for this class of vehicle…or maybe these were first-time owners of smaller cars.

The Mirage earned the second-lowest overall score (25) of any used car they rated. The lowest-score (24) honor goes to the Fiat 500.

Last edited by Top_Fuel; 08-08-2018 at 01:20 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (08-09-2018),emdeplam (08-08-2018),Loren (08-08-2018),MetroMPG (08-08-2018),Tuques (08-08-2018)

Good find!

Nice to see the car's reliability ranking is "good", which we all suspected. This is the first actual survey data I've seen on the topic.

The car is at the bottom in this ranking mainly because CR trashed it in their own reviews (29/100 Road Test Score). They hate it.

EG:

Thread: US: Just In: Small, underpowered 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage (ConsumerReports.org)

Thread: US: First drive 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage ES - 3rd World motoring (ConsumerReports.org)

Thread: "Even Consumer Reports is savaging the Mitsubishi Mirage"

Thread: Another negative consumer reports

Thread: Consumer Reports Latest Video

Thread: Consumer reports is foolish!

Thread: Consumer Reports is still absurd (5 worst cars 2015)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (08-09-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    I used to subscribe to CR for their online data... this is a good reason why I stopped years ago.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    CR's data seems to confirm that the Mirage is the best combination of reliability, low cost, and fuel mileage. I think that's why most of us bought the car in the first place.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

emdeplam (08-09-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    You cant trust CR or any professional reviewer. CR would like to tout its reputation for integrity but we all just caught them RIGHT NOW telling a bold-faced lie. If you want the truth listen to user reviews of people that actually own the car and use it for more than 30 minutes......not like the pro-reviewer who reviewed a V-6 BMW yesterday and is today "not-satisfied" with the Mirage's performance.

The whole Pro-review industry is just pay-for-play or at the very best it is unrealistic opinions from stuck-up snobs that use "emotional reasoning". No logic or attention to actual mathematical statistics.
    2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to fc321 For This Useful Post:

daleWV (08-10-2018)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    CR knocked the early hyundai accents had 2 new never cost me anything beyond normal wear were great cars. Kinda think of the current mirage in the same way. When ever experts speak I run the opposite way!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Sooo even though the Fiesta is a completely unreliable POS that literally nobody would buy again according to THEIR OWN DATA, they would recommend it over the Mirage because they apparently liked the way it drove so much better...when it was running right??

Yeah, CR is a joke.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Sooo even though the Fiesta is a completely unreliable POS that literally nobody would buy again according to THEIR OWN DATA, they would recommend it over the Mirage because they apparently liked the way it drove so much better...when it was running right??

Yeah, CR is a joke.
    I had a 2013 Fiesta and I was very unhappy with it. I sold it and lost a boatload of money in order to sell it on the used market and buy the 2015 Mirage. The (automatic), the dual clutch transmission is over-engineered computer controlled garbage. Everytime the battery died (this happened twice) I was forced to bring it to the dealer in "limp home mode" where it would only drive 30 mph maximum and had to bring it to Dealership each time so they could reprogram the computer controlled transmission.

Too much over-engineering and only the Dealer has the software to reprogram it. You break down in rural Oklahoma or in the middle of Florida after passing Jupiter and you are going to be in BIG TROUBLE. None of the local mechanics will be able to help you. I consider that fault to be unacceptable.

The car is what I call "Dealer reliant". So after your warranty is over and you have to bring it to Dealer for reprogramming, they are going to charge you FULL PRICE dealer rates. I could no longer consider the car reliable so I had to sell it and took a huge financial loss. Was happy to buy a stick shift after that to avoid all the headaches.

You could not pay me to buy a Mercedes with all the over-engineered components and a gazillion sensors and the Ford fiesta is the same way. I want a simple reliable car that can be fixed on the side of the road with a bag of tools.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DottandDolores View Post
    CR knocked the early hyundai accents had 2 new never cost me anything beyond normal wear were great cars. Kinda think of the current mirage in the same way. When ever experts speak I run the opposite way!
    Yes I take Uber alot and speak to the drivers and the Hyundai drivers have nothing but good things to say about them at 200k and 300k miles of HARD taxi service. Around here most of the Uber drivers are rolling Hyundai/Kia. I think Mistubishi is in the same league as them but cheaper price and same warranty.

Mistubishi is in the same league as them but cheaper price
    ^ Good point.

Note the Mirage has the least expensive used pricing. And the 2nd best observed fuel economy (after the Smart car).

Yet it's still bottom of their list.

Different priorities & expectations.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)