Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Consumer Reports September 2018 Issue, Used Car Ratings: Mirage reliable & terrible

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    ^ Good point.

Note the Mirage has the least expensive used pricing. And the 2nd best observed fuel economy (after the Smart car).

Yet it's still bottom of their list.

Different priorities & expectations.
    Its all just social perception and the typical "USA attitude" about wanting bigger and faster. But I certainly feel that these pro-reviewers when they are doing an article about "Most economical cars" or "Most fuel efficient cars of the year" need to present the true mathematical facts rather than their own "emotional feelings and biases" when constructing the list. Because other wise they are not telling the truth.

But as I said earlier the whole pro-review industry is pay-for-play and kickbacks. Nobody should ever trust these liars even when searching for a V-6 because even then it is all about "Who is paying them" to say what.

If you want to hear the truth you need to go to the forum of whatever car you are considering and listen to the words of ACTUAL OWNERS that have no monetary incentive to lie. In fact most people are happy to bash any product that they had a bad experience with. Same on this forum. If the car was a piece of junk I would be the first to say so with CAPITAL LETTERS. Ive owned a few bad cars, I was not shy to post my reviews.

This is actually a great car. No problems AT ALL so far.

2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts

Consumer Reports

I use to value Consumer Reports car ratings. How silly of me!!! Some of my worst vehicle purchases have been vehicles that were highly recommended by Consumer Reports.

My Subaru Forester was highly recommended by CR (their #1 SUV in that category) at the time of purchase. My Subaru Forester just failed the second phase of an oil consumption test this week. An oil consumption test involves having a Subaru dealership change your oil and returning 1200-1600 miles later. Adding any oil would jeopardize the test. I returned my car @ 1100 miles, because I was no longer felt comfortable driving it without adding oil. It had already burnt a quart. I don't live near an interstate, & my Subaru was never driven over 60 mph during this test. If I had driven on the interstate (@ higher speeds), I would have been returning the vehicle even sooner. Thankfully, my Subaru falls within a class action lawsuit that was settled for 2011-14 models that extended the warranty to 8 years and 100,000 miles. The dealership is being awesome, and I will be receiving new short block and total engine overhaul to address this issue in early September.

Subaru recommends 7,500 miles between oil changes. At the present rate of oil consumption, my Forester would use approximately 6.8 quarts (7500/1100 = 6.8) of expensive synthetic oil between changes. Why even bother changing oil at that rate? If the issue wasn't being addressed, I may as well just change filters once in awhile and just add oil when needed. Yet, this is a vehicle that is highly recommended by Consumer Reports!

Consumer Reports low opinion the Mitsubishi Mirage is a prime example of them being out of touch.
    $9299 for a brand new 2017 Mirage ES (manual) last fall.
    5-year/60,000 mile bumper-to-bumper warranty.
    10-year/100,000 powertrain warranty.
    5 year/unlimited mileage roadside assistance (don't overlook this, because it covers a lot of items).
    The car is affordable, reliable, and very economical. Personally, I think the 5 speed is a blast to drive. Compared to my bare bones economy cars of the past, this car is quite impressive!

I have some regrets about my Subaru Forester purchase as do others. I have zero regrets with my Mirage.

I could list other examples over the years. Remember the Ford Explorer & the huge Firestone tire recall in the early 2000's? Tires were blowing out, & the high center of gravity of the Explorer wasn't dealing with it very well causing it to roll over. Firestone tires that still looked like new were replaced with Goodyear tires. Those same Ford Explorers were highly recommended by CR prior to this event. CR never really owned up to that, but seemed more than willing to drive Isuzu out of the U.S. market with their attacks of the Trooper. Personally, I owned both. Neither vehicle was overly impressive to me. The Trooper was, however, a much better value!

CR should stick to rating wash machines, TV's, and cell phones. Having just said that, I would rather read consumer reviews over CR's opinion on even those items. CR is really doing the consumers a disservice by their trashing of the Mirage. For many Americans, this is a car they should be considering. The Mirage may not be the right car for everyone, but neither is a $50,000-90,000 brand new pickup truck. The Mirage is a great value! CR is just lame!
    Last edited by Mark; 08-17-2018 at 03:04 PM.

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (08-17-2018),fc321 (08-17-2018),inuvik (08-17-2018),MetroMPG (08-17-2018),spork (08-28-2018)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    LOL they rated the Yaris as very reliable. I had one (one generation back) and they only look reliable because Toyota refuses to recall them for serious safety defects.

The bolts that hold the control arms on rust all the way through and will cause the control arm to fall off. And the wiring for the ABS for the rear left wheel (and sometimes right) rots through and your ABS will randomly cut out. Major safety issues and all Toyota did was release TSBs and repair these items if customers complained during the warranty.

In fact, the Yaris was such a rust box mine died from rust only 9 years after being made. I bought the Mirage because I liked the compactness of the Yaris but knew I could never trust a Toyota product again.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 41.6 mpg (US) ... 17.7 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Anyone notice the mpg score? How do you get a mirage down to 37 mpg? Were they driving it in "B" up a hill at 100 mph?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 41.6 mpg (US) ... 17.7 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by shepd View Post
    Anyone notice the mpg score? How do you get a mirage down to 37 mpg? Were they driving it in "B" up a hill at 100 mph?
    You must see very patient and courteous drivers.

Around the Detroit area, I'd be surprised to see many drivers getting the EPA ratings.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 33.6 mpg (US) ... 14.3 km/L ... 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.4 mpg (Imp)

In fact, the Yaris was such a rust box mine died from rust only 9 years after being made.
    I had one, briefly. It needed reconstructive surgery in the aft rocker area at the rear axle attachment point. Major design flaw.

Similar to the major design flaw in the Metro/Firefly/Swift that saw the front control arm mount trap water and rust out (suspension falls off!).

Having said that, the Mirage is too young to know whether it has any serious water/dirt/rust traps that will doom them to an early grave.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Just let @nickels wife drive it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Space Star Cleartec Intense 1.0 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)