Thread: Consumer Reports September 2018 Issue, Used Car Ratings: Mirage reliable & terrible

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts

Consumer Reports September 2018 Issue, Used Car Ratings: Mirage reliable & terrible

Someone just gave me the September 2018 issue of Consumer Reports (CR) magazine and I spotted this headline on the cover...

9 Terrific Used Car Picks

Name:  CR_3.JPG
Views: 1521
Size:  32.2 KB

Well…of course I had to flip to that article to see if the Mirage shows up somewhere.

They had cars grouped by size category (full size, intermediate, compact, etc.) so I immediately found the sub-compact group. According to the CR "overall" score, out of the 12 subcompact cars they rated, the Mirage came in...last.

I've never had a ton of confidence in CR's automotive ratings because most of the reliable cars I've owned in the past usually turned up with CR reliability ratings much lower than I had personally experienced.

Here are the sub-compact ratings as shown in the issue of CR...

Name:  CR_1.jpg
Views: 5146
Size:  80.3 KB

…and here’s how they rate each category…

Name:  CR_2.jpg
Views: 1323
Size:  101.0 KB

A few observations to make...

Only 4 sub-compact cars have a good reliability rating, and the Mirage is one of them. Only the Yaris ranks higher in terms of reliability.

The Mirage has a poor Owner Satisfaction rating. Owner Satisfaction is based on whether or not you would definitely buy the car again. It’s interesting that half of the cars in this category have a poor Owner Satisfaction rating…and none have a good rating! That makes me wonder if people have their expectations too high for this class of vehicle…or maybe these were first-time owners of smaller cars.

The Mirage earned the second-lowest overall score (25) of any used car they rated. The lowest-score (24) honor goes to the Fiat 500.
    Last edited by Top_Fuel; 08-08-2018 at 01:20 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (08-09-2018),emdeplam (08-08-2018),Loren (08-08-2018),MetroMPG (08-08-2018),Tuques (08-08-2018)