Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Godspeed coilovers

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Weight difference

Quote Originally Posted by Gnarles2 View Post
    So I have had the coilovers installed for about a week so far and I want to give my initial impressions. I will be taking the car to New Jersey tomorrow evening and will have a chance to get a lot of drive time with them but my initial impressions are pretty good. Also, when I get back from my trip I do need to take the car to get aligned so I will add to this thread as things change.

So first off it is a night and day difference in terms of ride and handling with these coilovers compared to the factory parts as well as compared to the Eibach springs. The Eibach springs were actually quite good until the rear shocks went bad. If there was a higher quality shock available, I would probably have just replaced them as the Eibach springs felt great the first year they were installed. Anyway, the Godspeed coilovers are just in a different league altogether. There are a quite a bit of adjustments to them in regards to height, spring rates, camper and the damping itself and after a week I am still messing with them to get as close to perfection that I can. Tonight I am going to adjust the camber a bit as the settings that they are set with from the factory gives the front just a bit too much negative camber. It looks really nice the way it is but I want to see if making the front wheels have less camber will help with grip. The great thing about these is that I could change the settings daily depending on my mood or what type of driving I plan on doing. So on the top of each strut and shock there is a dial marked soft and hard. There are 16 settings that make the shocks and struts go from rock hard to firm and there is a noticeable difference between the settings. I currently have the rears at 14 and the front at 12. This would be really firm to most people but I enjoy how it makes the car feel as of now since I mainly drive on the highway when commuting to work. If I had to spend more time on the lumpy and bumpy city streets of Cleveland I would quickly make them softer or get a weekly appointment with a chiropractor.

So lets gets down to business... How it drives. If you want your Mirage to come alive and to see how it would feel if Mitsubishi cared to make a sports version then this is the best $630 dollars you can spend on your car. It went from feeling wallowy and heavy to taut and light feeling. It feels how a small lightweight car should feel. The steering is a lot more responsive and body roll is pretty much nonexistent at least with how mine are set. On the highway it feels extremely planted and secure and it really gives you a lot of confidence going into sharp turns. Off ramps have since become really fun and I am always on the lookout for a nice smooth curvy road although northeast Ohio is pretty sad when it comes to good driving roads. Being in Cleveland, our streets are pretty bad in terms of how they are kept up. As I have the coilovers set now, they can be quite punishing on these types of roads. You will feel every bump, patch, pebble and so on. For me, that is kind of refreshing since it is a new feeling in this car, but I can see myself after a few weeks softening them up a bit. As of now there are not any types of strange noises coming from the suspension when hitting bumps but there are a few more rattles coming form the interior on certain bumps but I expected that with all of the hard plastic in the car. Brake performance seems to be a bit better since there is not any nosedive with hard braking and it stays nice and flat with all tires firmly planted.

All in all I am really pleased with the coilovers so far. I am really excited to get on the highway tomorrow and see how they do on a 7 hour trip on the PA turnpike with lots of curves going up and downhill. I am also looking forward to getting an alignment as I am pretty sure some settings are a bit off. The alignment was a bit off with the old suspension parts so it is not something that these coilovers caused but I would like it to be as perfect as possible at least in the front since nothing can be done about the rear.

I am sure I missed a lot so if you have any questions for me, feel free to ask!

Attachment 12307
    Attachment 12308
    Attachment 12309
    Nice information! I've had my eye on these coilovers for quite some time, I've been thinking of what is the difference in weight with the coilovers compared to the stock suspension? Thank you!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnestovia View Post
    Nice information! I've had my eye on these coilovers for quite some time, I've been thinking of what is the difference in weight with the coilovers compared to the stock suspension? Thank you!
    I don’t know the exact difference in weight but the front spring and strut combo may be slightly heavier than the original equipment. The rear shocks are probably a few pounds heavier as well. There is a huge difference in the quality of the parts as well. The original equipment, especially the rear shocks, are some of the cheapest low quality shocks I have ever seen. Even my brother and father commented on how cheap the originals were. If they had good quality rear shocks available for it, I probably would have just got those and kept the Eibach springs. Those springs felt great for the first year until the rear shocks gave out. Good balance of ride quality and handling. These coilovers are much firmer even on their softest settings.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 42.5 mpg (US) ... 18.1 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I appreciate the response! I agree with you on the quality. The car does have a bad body roll when going around curves. Why i asked the weight difference is I'm trying to achieve the highest mpg I can get out of my car. Weight helps, but where there there is a much better suspension, I'm wondering if it will make a difference or not. Thank you.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Any difference in weight would be minimal. Consider that the springs are going to be lighter, too. (smaller diameter, and shorter in length) And the rear lower mounting sleeves are aluminum.

I didn't bother to weigh this stuff, but if it's any heavier, it's not more than maye 5 pounds per corner. I wouldn't worry about it.
    Simplify and add lightness.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:

Gnarles2 (08-31-2018)

Country
    Singapore
    Thanks
    Does the Godspeed coil overs come with pillow ball TOP mount for adjusting camber?I

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It does... and it doesn't.

Definitely has a nice quality pillow ball on the top front strut mount. And that mount is designed to be camber adjustable. The problem is that the allen-head bolts at the top for adjusting camber fit precisely into the big round hole in the body such that they have to be centered. Thus, there is no camber adjustment there.

But, in truth, the slotted lower mount gives you all of the camber adjustment that you need at the bottom, anyway. I'm running 3+ degrees of negative camber, and could easily dial that back to a couple degrees less.

Ultimately, I ended up creating a custom top plate for the front strut and giving the car more CASTER rather than more camber by shifting the center of the strut rearward.
    Simplify and add lightness.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:

Fit (09-04-2018)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    This is awesome!!! I'd like to get my hands on a set of these sooner or later. These along with the cheap supply of good K03 turbochargers make it really difficult not to modify my Mirage. That pesky warranty is the only thing that's stopping me.
    '17 Mitsubishi Mirage 1.2L ES Plus 5MT
    '94 Ford Ranger 5.0 Turbo 3 Speed

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pimp_Daddy_Patty View Post
    This is awesome!!! I'd like to get my hands on a set of these sooner or later. These along with the cheap supply of good K03 turbochargers make it really difficult not to modify my Mirage. That pesky warranty is the only thing that's stopping me.
    Why let a warranty stop you?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Why let a warranty stop you?
    transmission costs?
    Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    What is the realistic service life of the Godspeed Coilovers?
    Are the Godspeed Coilovers rebuildable?