Thread: Winter Tires and TPMS 2015 Mirage

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Winter Tires and TPMS 2015 Mirage

Hi All,

I just started the Winter tire journey today for my 2015 Mirage ES aluminum rims with around 73K miles. I went my local you pull it and and found a second set of steel black rims with tires on a 2018 that look better than what I have.

So my question is about tire sensors. Since this if for my daughter I want to keep the tire light off.
    Should I found a tool and keep programing the car twice a year OR should I change out the sensors on the tires I just bought and clone them to the existing tires?

Which senors and clone tool should I get?

Thanks

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ken2400 View Post
    Hi All,

I just started the Winter tire journey today for my 2015 Mirage ES aluminum rims with around 73K miles. I went my local you pull it and and found a second set of steel black rims with tires on a 2018 that look better than what I have.

So my question is about tire sensors. Since this if for my daughter I want to keep the tire light off.
    Should I found a tool and keep programing the car twice a year OR should I change out the sensors on the tires I just bought and clone them to the existing tires?

Thanks
    I purchased a Autel TS408 tool from JB Tools (under $125), and 8 Autel MX-Sensor 2 in 1 sensors from Amazon, eBay or whoever had them the cheapest at the time. Example -

https://www.amazon.com/Autel-MX-Sens.../dp/B07MTFVXPK

I like that the Autel TS408 tool comes with free lifetime updates, which means it should take care of any future vehicles I may own, too. I don't see TPMS going away.

I cloned 4 winter tires to my factory wheels for my 2011 Subaru Forester, and I also cloned 4 winter tires for my 2017 Mitsubishi Mirage. This eliminated my TPMS dash light being on during the winter months. I've change out the entire sets of wheels for both vehicle three times now (Fall/2020, Spring/2021, & Fall/2021) with zero issues or lights.

Since the wheel sets are cloned to each other, I do nothing concerning the TPMS. I just change wheels. If I couldn't clone my winter wheels to my existing factory wheels, I would not buy sensors. Reprogramming a Mirage is not as easy as it should be. I am not saying it can't be done, but many have struggled with this. I have had zero issues cloning sensors. Once cloned (takes about 1 minute/sensor to clone), you are done!

I justified the cost of the $125 tool, because I run winter tires on both of my vehicles. I will do the same with future vehicles, too. My local tire shops could not cloned sensors for a Mirage last time I checked a few years ago So I took care of it myself. My local tires shop guys charged me $30 cash (no slip made out) to install the 4 new cloned sensors & balance my tires. I just dropped off the wheels & cloned sensors & picked them back up later. One place did my Forester and another did my Mirage set. I gave both places $40 cash & thanked them!

I am not saying this is the best option, but it's what I chose to do. You do need to use Autel sensors, but I don't sense Autel will disappear from the scene. I like the lifetime updates for free, and the cost was not bad.

The Autel TS408 is very user friendly to use. Pick your vehicle brand & model. You record the 4 sensors on your vehicle, go sit in your recliner, & then clone the new ones to each of the 4 factory codes. Simple & fast!

Top Fuel created an excellent cloning resource for us -

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...-cloning-etc-)
    Last edited by Mark; 02-07-2022 at 02:54 AM.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

george (02-07-2022),Top_Fuel (02-07-2022)

Hi All,

Thanks
    I’d go with the autel mark suggested if you only plan to do this once in your life. Autel sensors are pricey and they can only be programmed with their proprietary tpms tool. The tool is slightly cheaper than the auteq but the auteq can clone basically any brand tpms sensor you can think of(other than autel) If you plan to clone sensors down the road I’d go with the auteq vt37.
    If you’re a cheap a$$ like everyone else here than price everything out (sensors and tool) first. I have both auteq and autel tpms tools.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    an update I have 3 out of 4 rims. Need to ask what other uses for NON Mirage rims.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Another update I picked up the forth rim BUT it needs some work.
    I hope the shop I go to can bend it back a bit. There is not too many rims to pick from in my area.'
    The tire has a lot of tread left on it for summer use.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Update I was able to get some of the bends out of the 4th rim I bought with a hammer and a 1/4 socket extender. I found it did not take too long to do.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Update I was able to get some of the bends out of the 4th rim I bought with a hammer and a 1/4 socket extender. I found it did not take too long to do.
    Steel rims bend. Alloy rims shatter or crack. Just depends how much force is needed to do both.

Quote -

"Steel wheels are also more easily repaired than alloys, as steel can often be hammered back into place when bent. On the other hand, alloy wheels tend to break or crack more easily under impact than their steel counterparts."

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

jtr990 (02-26-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    update found 4 snow tires with studs for $100 on Facebook marketplace.
    Look good so I added air to see how they will hold.
    Scan tool showed up and I updated it.
    Just waiting on sensors.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ken2400 For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (02-26-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I installed the four Winter 185/65/14 tires on with there rims.
    They go thought anything so far.
    They will be removed like in two or three days since there are no sensors in these rims

I also have 4 165/65/14 on the factor rims mounted since I found 4 more tires for $50 on Facebook.

Fun stuff
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Ya that lasted about two days. Did not want to go over 50 MPH too much noise. Back to the 4 165/65/14s all seasons I found and had mounted. They are much quieter.