Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: My 50 MPG story

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren View Post
    I knew the 3A and 4A series engines were a joint venture with Chrysler, and saw use in some Smart cars that were built on a Mitsu platform, but I wasn't aware of a German connection. Educate me.
    It actually looks like they may be making the engines in Thailand now as well as assembling the vehicle there.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/busi...-30202403.html

I know this ^ article is a little old but MDC power has been making engines for several Mercedes Vehicles now as well. The three cylinder is similarly designed to the four cylinder 4A9 engine...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_4A9_engine

2. The Following User Says Thank You to HitShane For This Useful Post:

Loren (09-01-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I stand corrected, thank you for this information.
    2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    What I forgot was that Chrysler/Benz connection that was still very much in effect back in 2003-4ish when this engine was designed.

It's hard to keep all of the automotive DNA straight sometimes!
    Simplify and add lightness.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts

Global vehicle market

My 1989 Plymouth Colt Wagon DL was entirely Mitsubishi. The only thing Plymouth was the chrome plate saying Plymouth Colt DL. Everything else was labeled Mitsubishi on or in the car.

My 1999 Ford Explorer was assembled in Kentucky, but its engine was from Germany. Its 5 speed manual transmission was from Japan (Mazda). The window sticker addressed these items clearly.

My 1997 VW Golf was assemble in Mexico, not Germany.

We've been a world market for quite some time. When someone asks why don't you buy American, I just chuckle inside. It's been this way for quite some time.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I had a 1978 VW Rabbit that was built in PA. Definitely been going on for a long time.

But, my Triumph Spitfires were proper British sports cars made in Coventry, England! And all of my Mazda Miatas were made in Hiroshima!

I'm just glad that no matter where a car is built these days, modern design and build quality is MILES beyond where it was before the 90's.
    Simplify and add lightness.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 675 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren View Post
    I knew the 3A and 4A series engines were a joint venture with Chrysler, and saw use in some Smart cars that were built on a Mitsu platform, but I wasn't aware of a German connection. Educate me.
    MDC Power was jointly owned by Mitsubishi and Mercedes Benz / Daimler. Their totally new and most modern facilities in Kölleda near Erfurt in Germany started production in 2003.
    They designed and made all sorts of very modern and progressively designed 3 and 4 cylinder engines between 1.1L and 1.5L, including for Smart, Mitsubishi Europe and Asia and Mercedes Benz. That explains similarities between Colt, Lancer, Smart-for-four, Mirage, etc.
    Mitsubishi pulled out of their MDC involvement very soon, forcing co-owner Mercedes to step in. MDC carried on making several sorts of Mercedes 4 and 6 cylinder engines. Today they are one of the most modern and well-reputed engine makers in the world, and produce close to one million engines a year. They are 100% owned by Daimler (Mercedes Benz) and make one out of every two Daimler engines.

see: https://www.mdc-power.com
    Last edited by foama; 09-04-2018 at 04:32 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

Loren (09-04-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    You guys also want to further reduce your fuel consumption go to a hot air intake setup by installing a pod filter. Lots of people try to call this a cold air intake but it is not. It is not cooling anything. It is more of an ambient air intake. The hot engine bay will heat up the air going to the intake which will cause your computer to lean out the fuel mixture using less fuel for combustion.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HitShane For This Useful Post:

Eggman (09-05-2018),El Kapitan (09-05-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Hey guys got a little off topic, but here's an update from me, using shifting at 2,500rpm and neutral rolling for distance and rolling in gear for stopping mostly for dfc was it? I also listen to pretty chill music which helps me drive smoother and relaxed rather than pumped up and gunning it lol. Using all these methods combined I'm seeing rather consistent results on my drives home from work. I hit a new record of 53.6 MPG!

Name:  IMG_20180908_005914.jpg
Views: 340
Size:  69.4 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 37.4 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.9 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AssassinTime14 For This Useful Post:

Eggman (09-09-2018),MetroMPG (09-12-2018),timw4mail (09-09-2018)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    nice!
    2014 White SE with CVT

Quote Originally Posted by AssassinTime14 View Post
    on my drives home from work. I hit a new record of 53.6 MPG!
    Congrats!

dfc was it?
    DFCO is how I've seen it written: Deceleration Fuel Cut-Off

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)