Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My 50 MPG story

Country
    United States
    Thanks

My 50 MPG story

I finally hit 50 MPG after so bad encounters with the police so now I'm stuck driving like an old man. Honestly it's not bad, I still let the engine breathe on the onramp of the highway on my way to work though. So after the ordeals with the cops and getting my liscesnse suspended 😅, I decided to focus on hitting 50 MPG, the first few days I got around 38mpg, then 42mpg, got to understand how the engine uses it fuel around rpms better, shifting at 3k and letting it rest around 2k rpms while cruising. Then I started to let it roll in neutral for as long as possible when going onto off ramps at highways and stop signs at night, that definitely boosted that little mpg reading quick lol. A few days later I hit that wonderful 50+ mpg :) if you guys have anymore tips to hit higher than this lmk because I'll take all the help I can get. Name:  IMG_20180726_021103.jpg
Views: 1438
Size:  70.8 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 37.4 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.9 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to AssassinTime14 For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (08-15-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Bump and glide is a good way to boost gas mileage however you should be able to get gas mileage in the 60s doing so. I havent tried it in this car because I want my clutch to last as long as possible.

On days when I drive nothing but country roads at 55 mph or less, I get 50 mpg anyway without doing anything special.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,532 Times in 1,467 Posts
    Get a Scangauge or similar monitor. It will give you instant mpg feedback as you drive. The factory mpg gauge is OK...but it only updates every 30 seconds(?). A Scangauge also has other features that make it worth the money (like monitoring important things like engine temperature). Anyway...having instant feedback will help you learn which way to drive your car to extract the most fuel economy from it.

Here's my Scangauge where you can see that I'm rolling along at 60mph while getting 71.1 mpg at that moment (the instant mpg reading is in the red box)...

Name:  Scan3.jpg
Views: 1431
Size:  53.0 KB

I just drive conservatively, anticipate red lights, moderate my use of AC, and don't do obviously crazy bad stuff like sitting in drive-through lines. I never do any extreme hyper-miling stuff, and I'm able to average 50+ mpg in my car all the time. A lot depends on where you drive. If you are running a delivery job out of your car and do a lot of stop and go city driving, you will have a very difficult time getting to 50 mpg.

Cars use a lot of fuel to get moving...so once you're up to speed, you just need to think ahead about how you can keep rolling without stopping. The side benefit of driving like this is that your clutch and brakes will last forever.

Oh yeah...one other basic thing is to keep your tires inflated and make sure your car is aligned properly. I don't know how much pressure you can safely run in Enasaves...but it's more than 32psi. Low rolling resistance tires DO make a difference.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

2of9 (08-17-2018),Daox (08-10-2018),gregsfc (08-30-2018),MetroMPG (08-15-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Get a Scangauge or similar monitor. It will give you instant mpg feedback as you drive. The factory mpg gauge is OK...but it only updates every 30 seconds(?). A Scangauge also has other features that make it worth the money (like monitoring important things like engine temperature). Anyway...having instant feedback will help you learn which way to drive your car to extract the most fuel economy from it.

Here's my Scangauge where you can see that I'm rolling along at 60mph while getting 71.1 mpg at that moment

A lot depends on where you drive. If you are running a delivery job out of your car and do a lot of stop and go city driving, you will have a very difficult time getting to 50 mpg.

The side benefit of driving like this is that your clutch and brakes will last forever.

Oh yeah...one other basic thing is to keep your tires inflated and make sure your car is aligned properly. I don't know how much pressure you can safely run in Enasaves...but it's more than 32psi. Low rolling resistance tires DO make a difference.
    I've put my psi up to 40 a little while ago, when I checked the tires, they were down to 25s exept my front passenger tire was at 33 still when I put it to 40. And I live in a Suburban town I mostly drive on the highway to get to work and school, I drive home from work at around like 2am, but once school starts I'll be driving with traffic again. And I'll definitely look into buying one of those, thanks ��

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 37.4 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I fill my enasave tires up to 40psi

I have found pulse and glide to yield tremendous results in the city. I upshift early and often. On a 45 mph spped limit road I will get up to 50 mph then place it in Neutral and coast until I drop to 40 mph, then I go to 5th gear and get up to 50 mph again. Repeat again and again.

Roll down the windows instead of a/c as much as your pain threshold can stand. If using it a/c take it off of the auto mode and set it to 63F degrees and highest fan. When car is cool enough press the snowflake (always leaving it on recirculate) and this will turn off the compressor. When heat becomes unbearable then once again turn the snowflake back on. This is called "Pulse and Glide of the a/c"

Anticipate traffic lights up ahead. Look ahead 2 or 3 lights down the road. If a red light is coming up either go to Neutral if its a-ways away or shift to 5th if you will indeed need to stop (this cuts off the gas supply). As soon as light ahead turns green move from 5th gear to Neutral (to avoid losing momentum).

HyperMilling Confucius say: Drive like you have no brakes and conserve your momentum like the last bottle of water in the Sahara. Do those 2 things simultaneously and you will see the land of 60 mpg

Avoid waiting to 3k rpm to upshift, do it closer to 2k or 2.5k. The only time my car sees 3k rpm is on the motorway
    2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fc321 For This Useful Post:

inuvik (08-10-2018),Top_Fuel (08-11-2018)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fc321 View Post
    On a 45 mph spped limit road I will get up to 50 mph then place it in Neutral and coast until I drop to 40 mph, then I go to 5th gear and get up to 50 mph again. Repeat again and again.
    Shouldn't you keep it in the 5th gear? This way the engine is using fuel just to idle.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Space Star Cleartec Intense 1.0 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Wolf View Post
    Shouldn't you keep it in the 5th gear? This way the engine is using fuel just to idle.
    This is an interesting point.

When I coast in gear, I'll usually see US fuel economy numbers ranging around 120 miles per gallon.

When I coast out of gear, I will always see better numbers. Sometimes my miles per gallon will go into the 200 to 300 mile per gallon range.

This is all reported from my OBD II port.

While I'm not certain of why this is, I believe it is related to how the emission control system manages the catalytic converter.

However, my fuel economy tracking shows greater discrepancies between the Mirage MID-B fuel economy gauge and actual numbers. Fuel economy tracking periods (usually from one fill-up to another) that include lots of neutral coasting tend to result in greater MID-B errors - meaning it's more optimistic than my hand-calculated fuel economy numbers.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,532 Times in 1,467 Posts
    Regarding coasting in gear or out of gear...don't forget that Deceleration Fuel Cut Off has an effect. But that's a whole other discussion.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    You guys are silly. Here is how to get the highest mpg possible in a manual transmission Mirage.

1. Never fill the tank more than half way. Only fill up to a quarter of a tank if possible. Many weight weenies already do ridiculous stuff like this.

2. When coming to a stop, slip the car into neutral, shut off the engine and coast the rest of the way. Use steps 3 or 4 to start the car back up.

3. If this is a stop light and you are confident you will be sitting at a stop for at least 30 seconds, use the starter to start the engine back up.

4. If you are confident you will only be stopped for a few seconds (stop sign), just before you come to a stop, press the clutch pedal and put the car in second or third gear. Just before you stop, quickly release and re-engage the clutch pedal. This will start the car back up without using the starter.

5. Big bridges and hills/mountains are your friend. Use the engine to get to the top of the bridge, and as you coast down, slip the car into neutral and shut the engine off. Use the bump procedure in step 4 to start the engine back up before the car slows down too much for the traffic you are driving in.

I used to do these things on my 1994 Geo Metro and it wasn't uncommon for me to have over 65 mpg. I don't do these things on my Mirage simply because I don't want to risk wearing out my clutch disk or starter early. I'm currently at 212k miles on my original clutch.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to stevedmc For This Useful Post:

mohammad (11-10-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    If one does choose to turn off the engine we should not do so in the first 15 minutes of driving because we want to warm the engine up, So even if I go to the local McDonalds drive-thru that is 2 blocks from my house I will leave the motor running while sitting in the drive thru if the needed 15 minutes have not yet elapsed.

But in my daily drives i almost never turn off the motor unless its a train crossing or some accident where I know we wont be moving for awhile. I have gotten in the nasty habit though of turning off the engine 2 blocks away from home and rolling home in Neutral. These low rolling resistance Ensaves are remarkable. The tires are so efficient that many times just rolling in Neutral I will catch up to the car ahead of me and have to press the brake to avoid rear-ending him. Im talking about the car ahead of me with automatic transmission and in gear that I still will catch up to them just coasting in Neutral.

Those stock tires are "Beast Mode" dont agree that anyone should upgrade them

2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)