Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: My 50 MPG story

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I don't want to jinx myself, but I have never had a problem with the fuel injection of any of my vehicles.
    Good luck. Fuel injectors on most vehicles are at least $100 a pop, not to mention you have to rely on a computer to handle all sorts of things in the background.

I'm a fan of Ford/Autolite/Motorcraft carburetors. Many say the Motorcraft 2100 is the greatest carburetor ever built. You can completely rebuild the thing with a $20 kit from Autozone and it takes about 15 minutes. You can make adjustments with just a simple screw driver.

When EFI goes bad it could be anything. I had dirty fuel injectors a few weeks ago. I got lucky and managed to clean them with just a Techron treatment. It could have been a lot more costly.

So far so good with this cheap little car, but like I said, I do prefer carburetors.

EFI does have its advantages though. For one, when things are working correctly, you are pretty much guaranteed to have a perfect mixture of fuel and air. With carburetors, you have to do a little bit of tinkering to get it just right.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by top_fuel View Post
    true...but you do have to change your wheels if you want your car to look better.
    lol

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm keeping my stock tires for my winter set, I wouldn't mind losing a few mpgs for some decent fitment lol.

Do we have a section in our forum for what we can do without voiding the warranty? That's the main reason why I can't do a whole lot to this car until that runs out.

Im going for a nice set of summer tires for next year hopefully, maybe get some new springs too.

Name:  Screenshot_20180813-121457.jpg
Views: 476
Size:  88.5 KB

These are the tired I'm looking at, I know the stock ones do great in winter due to being narrow, but in the summer I'd like to have some wider tires for a good look. Are they're and wider tires that still have LRR? And for my rims I was going with a set of Konig Lightnings, I know that this setup would be be heavier then stock, but would it be worth it?
    Last edited by AssassinTime14; 08-13-2018 at 04:28 PM. Reason: Added about rims

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 37.4 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,684 Times in 2,103 Posts
    I don't think a 185/65r15 would be an appropriate tire size. It's to big! You have to really compare the overall tire diameter.

A 165/65r14 has a tire diameter of 22.4". The Mirage GT model uses a 175/55r15 which is 22.6". They chose a 15" tire size that was close to the ES & SE factory tires.

The 185/65r15 tire that you posted is 24.5" diameter. That's over 2" more than a factory tire. At 60 mph your speeds would be over 5 mph off, and you odometer reading aren't really going to reflect your actual mileage. Others may disagree with me, but I think a 2" increase in overall tire diameter is to much.

In general, if you are going to increase first number (tire width), you should be reducing the second number (aspect ratio). I am trying to keep this discussion simple.

Top Fuel uses a 185/55r15 tire, which has a 23" diameter. He increased the width and rim size of his tires, but he had to reduce the aspect ratio to do so.

This is why I don't get so bent out of shape over 14" vs. 15" tires. A 22-23" tires is just that. What's more important is the quality of the rubber you are driving on. I wouldn't care if the Mirage had 13" wheels. By the way, don't go that route. 13" wheels will not fit a 2017 & up Mirage, because of their enlarged front disc brakes.

There are numerous websites that can help you find a different size that is comparable in overall tire diameter.

https://tiresize.com/comparison/

Jumping two tire widths (165 to 185) without reducing your aspect ratio (keeping it @ 65) is a mistake in my mind.

I am not knocking Top Fuel tires in the least. I wish the Mirage came in 175/65r14 & 185/55r15 tire sizes, because they are exactly the same diameter. They match better than what Mitsubishi is presently using on different trim levels of the Mirage. Plus, these two tire sizes are much more common in the U.S.
    Last edited by Mark; 08-17-2018 at 09:44 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I think I'd be fine with doing 185/55/R15s, it gives the look without sacrifing anything else, and I've looked around and understand why people choose lightweight rims like the helium's, but they just look to fragile in my opinion, I get that they aren't but they look that way to me.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 37.4 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,684 Times in 2,103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AssassinTime14 View Post
    I think I'd be fine with doing 185/55/R15s, it gives the look without sacrifing anything else, and I've looked around and understand why people choose lightweight rims like the helium's, but they just look to fragile in my opinion, I get that they aren't but they look that way to me.
    Normally, I would just buy wheels and tires from a place like Tirerack.com. The tires come mounted & balanced. You just pull off your old tires and put the new ones on. TPMS, however, have complicated that process. If your future new wheels are going to be on the car the majority of the time, you will want your sensors in those tires. If you have some tire shops in your area, I would start with them. They may match what you are seeing out there $$$-wise, and you would need their services to do all this anyways.

Good luck with whatever you do & please share when the time comes.
    Last edited by Mark; 08-14-2018 at 07:56 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

AssassinTime14 (08-13-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thank you all for your help with my journey in this thread to help me out, all of you guys have definitely taught me a lot. I joined this community to learn and you guys are doing great

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I respect the opinions of others and agree that 15 wheels make the car look better (and give the car a more comfortable ride). But I also believe in the saying that if it aint broke, dont fix it.

No other tire and wheel can beat the fuel efficiency of the stock setup. Also keep in mind that you ALREADY PAID FOR IT when you bought the car. You already own the stock 14s so this is a sunk-cost. Sunk money, you already spent it, now you already own the 14s.

If your car has under 30k miles you are just burning money to change them. That is how I feel about them. I respect the feelings of others but I just dont agree that it is a wise expenditure of money. I am talking about bang for your buck.

If you sell your car used you are not going to get a higher price just because you upgraded the wheels. Yes your car will look nicer (and cooler), Yes your car may ride nicer. But you are going to be spend over 500 bucks and you are going to lose at least 3 mpg at the pump.

Unpopular opinion, yes. But I only think in terms of numbers and I have laid the numbers and the facts out on the table. Now it is up to you to make your decision.
    Last edited by fc321; 08-14-2018 at 12:51 AM.
    2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fc321 View Post
    I respect the opinions of others and agree that 15 wheels make the car look better (and give the car a more comfortable ride). But I also believe in the saying that if it aint broke, dont fix it.

No other tire and wheel can beat the fuel efficiency of the stock setup. Also keep in mind that you ALREADY PAID FOR IT when you bought the car. You already own the stock 14s so this is a sunk-cost. Sunk money, you already spent it, now you already own the 14s.

If your car has under 30k miles you are just burning money to change them. That is how I feel about them. I respect the feelings of others but I just dont agree that it is a wise expenditure of money. I am talking about bang for your buck.

If you sell your car used you are not going to get a higher price just because you upgraded the wheels. Yes your car will look nicer (and cooler), Yes your car may ride nicer. But you are going to be spend over 500 bucks and you are going to lose at least 3 mpg at the pump.

Unpopular opinion, yes. But I only think in terms of numbers and I have laid the numbers and the facts out on the table. Now it is up to you to make your decision.
    I agree 101%.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to stevedmc For This Useful Post:

fc321 (08-15-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,532 Times in 1,467 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AssassinTime14 View Post
    ...understand why people choose lightweight rims like the helium's, but they just look to fragile in my opinion
    My second choice for wheels was Rota Slipstreams. This is another knock-off wheel (it's a copy of Spoon Sports SW388). These wheels are available in a 15x6.5" version which only weighs about 12 lbs. That's still 1 lb lighter than a 14x4.5 steel wheel. I can't remember which forum member this is...but here's a Mirage with these wheels...

Name:  Rota_9.JPG
Views: 508
Size:  52.1 KB

I prefer the polished version...as shown on these Chevy Sparks...

Name:  Spark1.JPG
Views: 512
Size:  77.2 KB

Name:  Spark2.JPG
Views: 457
Size:  82.6 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)