Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: My 50 MPG story

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Naw, too much work with the dog every day plus hard to walk a dog, holding coffee and a breakfast sandwich.

It's just funny because if I try horribly hard I can do 90% of the co.bined mileage at 50mpg but her commute still has the car on a lifetime average of 6.2ish l/100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.5 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Wolf View Post
    Iew!

Maybe a pair of good shoes or a bicycle on her next birthday?
    A 50cc scooter would work great. And they get over 100 mpg. And you can get a good used one for under 500 bucks
    2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fc321 View Post
    I fill my enasave tires up to 40psi

I have found pulse and glide to yield tremendous results in the city. I upshift early and often. On a 45 mph spped limit road I will get up to 50 mph then place it in Neutral and coast until I drop to 40 mph, then I go to 5th gear and get up to 50 mph again. Repeat again and again.

Roll down the windows instead of a/c as much as your pain threshold can stand. If using it a/c take it off of the auto mode and set it to 63F degrees and highest fan. When car is cool enough press the snowflake (always leaving it on recirculate) and this will turn off the compressor. When heat becomes unbearable then once again turn the snowflake back on. This is called "Pulse and Glide of the a/c"

Anticipate traffic lights up ahead. Look ahead 2 or 3 lights down the road. If a red light is coming up either go to Neutral if its a-ways away or shift to 5th if you will indeed need to stop (this cuts off the gas supply). As soon as light ahead turns green move from 5th gear to Neutral (to avoid losing momentum).

HyperMilling Confucius say: Drive like you have no brakes and conserve your momentum like the last bottle of water in the Sahara. Do those 2 things simultaneously and you will see the land of 60 mpg

Avoid waiting to 3k rpm to upshift, do it closer to 2k or 2.5k. The only time my car sees 3k rpm is on the motorway
    This is my golden rule. I upshift early and often and even in town driving I'm doing really well.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    nice advice people! I have hit 50 combined for a day's driving many times not but never 60. some of you have crazy skills (and patience).
    2014 White SE with CVT

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El Kapitan View Post
    nice advice people! I have hit 50 combined for a day's driving many times not but never 60. some of you have crazy skills (and patience).
    More patience, really.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

El Kapitan (08-29-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The secret is coasting in Neutral and pulse n' glide to 50 mph down to 40 and repeat. Assuming your tires are filled to 40 psi that is going to get you 60+ mpg in the city on a regular basis.

And this is not patience, I still get to my destination within a minute or 2 of the lead-foots. In fact just a few days ago I saw this lead-foot in a camaro GUNNING IT, accelerating into every red light and then slamming on the brakes. After 15 minutes the results where the same, At every upcoming red light I found him still in the queue the difference is that he was lead-footing the accelerator and I was in Neutral just coasting. That goof-ball was probably getting 10 mpg while I was getting 60. Also he was putting tremendous wear and tear on his car while I was babying mine.

Dont get it twisted; Hypermiling is not about driving like a grandma at 25 miles per hour on a clear street. I think this car gets best mileage at 45 mph so I try to bring it up to that speed as quickly as I can without upshifting higher than 2500 rpm. Now that is the secret formula. And try not to turn on the a/c in the city until you can no longer bear the heat. That dog-gone a/c will knock 15 mpg off in the exact same conditions.
    2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    2015 cvt
    Name:  IMAG0311.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  92.5 KB

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

In town. '17 SE with the CVT 4.7 mile trip

Quote Originally Posted by HitShane View Post
    2015 cvt
    Name:  IMAG0311.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  92.5 KB
    Short trip home warm day 87° F
    Attached Images Attached Images  

10. The Following User Says Thank You to droxi For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (08-29-2018)

A/C on or off, droxi?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yeah mine was AC cranked radio Bangin over 10 MI at 45-50 mph. Plus size wheels and tires.