Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: My 50 MPG story

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,532 Times in 1,467 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fc321 View Post
    No other tire and wheel can beat the fuel efficiency of the stock setup.
    ...you are going to lose at least 3 mpg at the pump.
    That was the conventional wisdom when I joined the forum.

Then I put light-weight 15" wheels on my car with quality LRR tires...and 50K miles later I am still getting better fuel mileage than 99% of Mirages with OEM wheels/tires...without doing extreme hyper-miling.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

AssassinTime14 (08-16-2018)

Congrats on breaking 50!! ( Related thread: 50 MPG Mirage club - are you in it? (4.7 L/100 km) &nbsp

Top_fuel is right: better MPG instrumentation with a large "instant" gauge will help a lot.

As for driving, the basics are:

1) In city driving, the brake pedal is your enemy.

Avoid rushing into avoidable stops & slowdowns. Light ahead is red? Car ahead is slowing for a right turn? So why are you still accelerating? As has been said, read traffic well ahead for best lane choice, early speed adjustment etc. to keep the car moving in as many situations as possible. Oh, and get the car into top gear ASAP once you've finished accelerating.

You've already found out that getting off the gas early and coasting in N pays big dividends. Coasting in gear can be useful (because of fuel cut) if you need to slow down faster than the car slows in N.

I sometimes coach friends/relatives on urban "eco-driving", and we routinely see MPG improvements of 10-15% just by focusing on the above few things.

2) In highway driving, speed is your enemy. Best fuel economy is just after you engage top gear.

See thread: Speed vs. mpg/mileage/fuel economy chart - Mirage 1.2L 5-spd and CVT

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

AssassinTime14 (08-16-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    That was the conventional wisdom when I joined the forum.

Then I put light-weight 15" wheels on my car with quality LRR tires...and 50K miles later I am still getting better fuel mileage than 99% of Mirages with OEM wheels/tires...without doing extreme hyper-miling.
    Since I have never had 15 wheels I will take you on your word. I am looking into the option myself to upgrade but if and when I do it would be after wearing out the stock tires. I think people should take the stock tires to at least 20k. Some people wont even like the car and will want to sell it and if that happens they will lose money.

I tell people drive the car for at least 10k miles and see if you like it. Some people cant handle the fact that the car has slow acceleration compared to a V-6 and those people dont like the fact that they need to modify their traditional driving strategy after buying this car. And thats fine, Yes you need talent to drive this car. Yes, they will have to adapt and learn a new approach to driving. But the good news is that it will be a safer approach and a method of driving that will reduce their risk of an accident by over 50%.

In my opinion those "crazy risks" I used to take in my twenties (with a more powerful car) such as "flooring it" to pass a slow driver on a 2 lane street or WOT to make that left turn in a small pocket to beat the incoming cars or pulling out of a parking lot into FAST traffic....those where dangerous risks. Im lucky I got away with them. Those other drivers had to be alert to press the brakes when I miscalculated the timings and I am fortunate that they where. I put my head in the alligators mouth several times. I am lucky I did not crash. A car like this teaches you how to drive safely instead. Teaches you to be patient and wait for the correct opportunity.

But since I have never driven on 15 wheels I cannot speak too much about the difference. They certainly look nicer and the car looks more cool, I agree. I cannot speak too much about the gas mileage difference I am only reading data from others on the forum threads of the past. I cant get too married to my opinion since I dont have real world experience on 15s.

But what i CAN say is this: You are going to spend more money (open your wallet) to buy this upgrade and the "used market" for the old 14s is not very rich. I personally would not pay over forty bucks for a used ensave tire. But there we go.

So decision is up to any owner, I mean you are going to be opening up your wallet for this upgrade. This is a good thread has giving many angles of the issue, more then enough data for any owner to choose. So I say thank you to all who have contributed to this "pool of wisdom" that is Mirage Forum. Its nice that people see disagreement between senior members like this. Now they know the authenticity and honesty of this forum. We are not parrots or an echo chamber. We all speak sincerely about how we feel.

And often-times we all come to different opinions or conclusions. But the good news is that we present enough data for a person watching to be able to make up their own mind.
    2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fc321 For This Useful Post:

AssassinTime14 (08-16-2018),Eggman (08-16-2018),Top_Fuel (08-16-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,684 Times in 2,103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fc321 View Post
    I think people should take the stock tires to at least 20k. Some people wont even like the car and will want to sell it and if that happens they will lose money.

I tell people drive the car for at least 10k miles and see if you like it.
    Stock tires: A few members have mentioned getting approximately 40,000 miles out of their stock tires. That’s not much different than any other new vehicle I have owned over the years. I have no concerns with the stock tires, & I am just as impressed as you are about their great rolling ability.

My 2017 Mirage just turned over 15,000 miles this week, & I have no reason to believe the factory tires will need to be replaced any time soon. I’ve never been overly impressed with factory tires or batteries on any new vehicle. It usually doesn’t take much to improve tires/batteries, but I still see myself getting 40,000 miles out of the Dunlop tires. I will most likely use an alternative tire during the winter months & use up the factory tires during the summer months. I am ok with that!

I wanted an economy car when I bought my Mirage, & I never lose sight of that. A Mirage has 22-23" diameter tires. Whether the rims are 13”, 14", 15", or 16" really shouldn't change that.

Test drive: I am not sure how someone would get a 10,000 miles test drive of a Mirage (unless you lease one first)? I do get your point, however. The Mirage fits a niche that other brands are neglecting. Sadly, affordable, reliable, & economical cars don’t drive the U.S. market. Some focus on the Mirage’s lack of horsepower, but I’ve owned a number of small 4-cylinder cars (63 hp, 64 hp, & 75 hp) that had less. I find the Mirage with a manual transmission very engaging & fun to drive. Personally, I appreciate Mitsubishi bringing the Mirage to the U.S. market.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

AssassinTime14 (08-18-2018)

Hate to be downer but it's pretty easy to get it to read great Mpg for the "A" trip. I can get my one ton to show 99mpg but for some reason when I hand calculate my mileage it's a different reading.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,684 Times in 2,103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Hate to be downer but it's pretty easy to get it to read great Mpg for the "A" trip. I can get my one ton to show 99mpg but for some reason when I hand calculate my mileage it's a different reading.
    Funny!

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I always reference Trip A. It's not my fault my wife gets 12l/100 in the damned thing. Trip B readout (6.2l) just makes me sad when I can usually keep it under 5 if I try.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.5 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to nickels For This Useful Post:

Fummins (08-20-2018)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nickels View Post
    my wife gets 12l/100 in the damned thing.

How does she manage that? Extreme short trips?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Space Star Cleartec Intense 1.0 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Starts car in the morning. Let's it run for a few minutes to dry dew off interior windscreen.

Drives 300m to Tim Hortons for a coffee.
    Drives 400m more to work.

End result is a 10 minute, half mile drive.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.5 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nickels View Post
    Starts car in the morning. Let's it run for a few minutes to dry dew off interior windscreen.

Drives 300m to Tim Hortons for a coffee.
    Drives 400m more to work.

End result is a 10 minute, half mile drive.
    Iew!

Maybe a pair of good shoes or a bicycle on her next birthday?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Space Star Cleartec Intense 1.0 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)