Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CVT stutters during acceleration

Quote Originally Posted by Madison320 View Post
    Anyone know how much CVT fluid it takes?

There's a youtube video that says it's 2.64 qts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Bw5bDihtv4

And there's an online owner's manual that says 7.4 qts.
    It depends on how much comes out. Are you going to drop the pan and both filters? It'll take more to refill it that way than if you just pull the plug. The fluid expands a lot when it's hot as well. Have you ever checked the fluid level after driving for a while? The cvt could be over or underfilled?

I agree with Loren. How many miles are on your car? I had one here that idled and drove great til you floored it then it would buck and shake. I can't recall if the engine light flashed when that happened?(A missfire usually will make the cel flash) The car had a bad ign coil.

Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    It depends on how much comes out. Are you going to drop the pan and both filters? It'll take more to refill it that way than if you just pull the plug. The fluid expands a lot when it's hot as well. Have you ever checked the fluid level after driving for a while? The cvt could be over or underfilled?

I agree with Loren. How many miles are on your car? I had one here that idled and drove great til you floored it then it would buck and shake. I can't recall if the engine light flashed when that happened?(A missfire usually will make the cel flash) The car had a bad ign coil.
    I guess the question is should I drop the pan and replace the filters? That way I'd remove more of the aftermarket fluid?

I have 87K miles on it. I'm going to replace the plugs also. I really don't think it's the engine though. The engine sounds like it's running smoothly when the hesitating happens. Plus it feels exactly like it does when the transmission is "adjusting" itself when you change speeds if you know what I mean.

Taking it to the dealer on thurs.
    Last edited by Madison320; 08-13-2018 at 06:13 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 1.2 automatic: 39.7 mpg (US) ... 16.9 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 47.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Madison320 View Post
    I guess the question is should I drop the pan and replace the filters? That way I'd remove more of the aftermarket fluid?

I have 87K miles on it. I'm going to replace the plugs also. I really don't think it's the engine though. The engine sounds like it's running smoothly when the hesitating happens. Plus it feels exactly like it does when the transmission is "adjusting" itself when you change speeds if you know what I mean.

Taking it to the dealer on thurs.
    If it was my car i would replace both filters. Doesn't sound like they were ever changed out. If it doesn't change the way the car drives at least you have peace of mind knowing they are changed.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to FloridaG4 For This Useful Post:

Madison320 (08-13-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Took it to the dealer today. He said it worked fine which I expected because I haven't had the problem in a week. He thought it could be from a temperature sensor that somehow shuts down the CVT when it gets too hot. Also they upgraded the CVT software.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 1.2 automatic: 39.7 mpg (US) ... 16.9 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 47.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    You're in a tough spot. Hopefully the software flash makes a difference.

When a technician reads a complaint on a work order, the first thing they're supposed to do is verify the complaint. If they can't duplicate the problem, they aren't going to spend a lot of time on it because they only get paid for a fraction of an hour to verify your concern. That's what makes intermittent problems the worst for the customer and the service department.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Madison320 (08-20-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    You're in a tough spot. Hopefully the software flash makes a difference.

When a technician reads a complaint on a work order, the first thing they're supposed to do is verify the complaint. If they can't duplicate the problem, they aren't going to spend a lot of time on it because they only get paid for a fraction of an hour to verify your concern. That's what makes intermittent problems the worst for the customer and the service department.
    And in this case it's VERY intermittent. I can live with it no problem as long as it doesn't get a lot worse. I'm still trying to decide if I'm going to change the filter and use OEM fluid. I told the dealer that I change the fluid every 30k and he said they haven't had to change any filters on cars where the fluid is changed all the time. On the other hand the Mirage is still new. Most of them haven't been driven far enough for the CVT to fail.

I just called the dealer and he said the filter is not serviceable. But one of the guys that posts here has actually posted photos of the filter being changed.
    Last edited by Madison320; 08-20-2018 at 03:55 PM.

Your dealer is a retard.
    There are 2 filters that are serviceable. I don't have the part numbers handy but they're posted around here somewhere.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Madison320 (08-20-2018)

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...vehicle)/page4

See post #33 It's a schematic right from mitsubishi. It took our dealer a while to figure it out but they eventually realized they were wrong and were able to order us the filters.

One filter is on the lh side of the case behind a round housing, the other is a metal screen filter that looks like a conventional trans filter, you have to pull the oil pan to see it.
    Mirage videos:

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Madison320 (08-20-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My car started doing that a few months ago right after replacing the CVT fluid at 36K miles. Used Mitsubishi's J4 and the level checks fine when hot and cold.

Only couple of things I can think of that may have screwed something up -although unlikely- is that didn't change the filters or reset the TCM fluid life status.

It feels as if the car repeatedly hesitates to downshift. Today I captured some data with an OBD scanner when it happened right after entering a freeway. This time is did it only twice, but during some episodes it can bounce 4 or 5 times. Here's how it looked like:

Name:  Graphs.jpg
Views: 538
Size:  98.5 KB

Edit:
    The manual says that the normal operating temperature is 122F - 176F (50C - 80C), but the average mine gets is 192F (89C). Also, I see air bubbles on the dipstick. These are signs of too little fluid. Later today I'll add a bit more fluid and see how it behaves.

Last edited by R01k; 12-22-2018 at 02:37 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to R01k For This Useful Post:

Tyrelirwin (12-22-2018)