Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Engine cranks but no start today

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Engine cranks but no start today

So something weird happened today.

My wife and I were washing the mirages and after the wash here didnt start. Its was cranking but kinda sounded weird as it cranked. We tried 3 times no start.
    Then I held the gas all the way to the floor and it cranked and fired up. It seems fine now. Drove around a little and refired up again no issues.

So what's up with that? Anyone have this happen?

I was thinking my wife did something different to cause this but I'm not sure.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,557 Times in 1,118 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post

My wife and I were washing the mirages and after the wash here didnt start. Its was cranking but kinda sounded weird as it cranked. We tried 3 times no start.
    Then I held the gas all the way to the floor and it cranked and fired up. It seems fine now. Drove around a little and refired up again no issues.

Before you parked the Mirage was it cold started and only run a very short time before shutting it off to wash it? This has happened a time or two to other forum members when they've cold started their Mirage, run it for 30 seconds or less then shut it off.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,532 Times in 1,467 Posts
    We tried 3 times no start.
    Then I held the gas all the way to the floor and it cranked and fired up.
    Anyone have this happen?
    Like inuvik said...this HAS happened to at least a few people.

Check out this thread: Mirage won't start...cranks but won't fire

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (08-15-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I had something like that happen when I was teaching a girl to drive manual with my Mirage. She managed to stall the car after giving it some gas (introducing a flood condition, I assume). And when it restarted, it was stubborn about restarting, and when it did, it didn't want to idle. It's like it started... but, just barely. It was actually comical how the little engine was trying SO HARD to run... but, really barely firing once or twice per second. Once it got stable and we gave it a quick rev, it was fine.

Bottom line, probably a bit of a flood due to starting cold (cars run rich when they're cold) and not letting it warm up... and maybe combining that with a quick shut-down either while the idle speed is still high from the cold start, or immediately after coming off hte gas.

Stuff happens, even with the genius ECU and VVT and everything that our cars have.
    Simplify and add lightness.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (08-12-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    This happens with my car sometimes. I have the pushbutton ignition, and sometimes when I shut it off I will accidentally 'double-tap' the button...causing the engine to shut off and then immediately try to crank and restart. It will crank for a bit, then finally start. But the idle is low and rough at first, then smooths out.

Just a quirk, I guess. I don't know what year your car is...have you had the cold start recall done on your car?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,532 Times in 1,467 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    I have the pushbutton ignition, and sometimes when I shut it off I will accidentally 'double-tap' the button...causing the engine to shut off and then immediately try to crank and restart. It will crank for a bit, then finally start. But the idle is low and rough at first, then smooths out.
    I've had the same thing happen with my car a few times. It's really strange.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yes she did pull it up earlier that day and shut it off. So it only ran for maybe 10sec.

Very weird I've never seen another car do that though. Everything is back to normal today.

We have two 17s. What is the cold start recall? Never got a notice so I doubt ours are effected

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,557 Times in 1,118 Posts
    Yes she did pull it up earlier that day and shut it off. So it only ran for maybe 10sec.

Very weird I've never seen another car do that though. Everything is back to normal today.

We have two 17s. What is the cold start recall? Never got a notice so I doubt ours are effected
    The cold start recall was for 2014 & 2015 models. Over rich fuel mixtures were occurring which could cause carbon build up over time and possible long term engine problems. Late 2015 and up models were corrected before leaving the factory and is not an issue with the 2017+ Mirages.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Pryme (08-12-2018)

Happened a lot to me. If I just flick the key and let go before it's actually running it'll flood almost everytime. Happens more often when they're cold. They also sometimes flood if you start them cold and idle for a a few second or drive a short distance(ie: a few car lenghts) without hitting the throttle turn it off.

Now when I start these things I hold the key and don't let go til the starter quits running. The car is smart enough to kill the starter once the car is running on the cars with keys.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (08-15-2018),Pryme (08-19-2018)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    I had this problem last Sunday. Sunday morning I had moved the (cold) car 5 meters, because another car had to pass. Sunday evening it didn't start. It cranked, but no ignition. Even no fuel, according to the smell.

The roadside assistance has started it for me. The trick was keep cranking until you smell fuel, and then floor the acceleration pedal while still cranking. It took about a minute of cranking.

He told me that this is normal for any modern car, and what caused this. I'll try to repeat it in English. It's due to the hydrolic valves. They need oil pressure to open the valves. Normally there is enough pressure left from the last drive to start a car, but if you start the car, and switch it off before the oil pump has restored the pressure (which takes more time when the engine is cold), It won't start next time, because the valves don't open, and so no fuel is injected.
    What he did is cranking the engine to power the oil pump, until enough pressure was build up to open the valves, which was smellable because of the unburned fuel. Then he floored the acceleration pedal to add extra air, and it started.

When driving home it took 40 km before the 'auto stop & go' light turned on. Normally that takes about 2 km with a cold engine. So apparently the ECU wasn't too happy with the situation.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Space Star Cleartec Intense 1.0 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)