Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fender Rolling

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Mullet View Post
    My 195/50R15 tires were rubbing so I did the VW new Beetle rear spring swap and problem solved. Of course this raises the rear end and if you want that lowered look, then rolling is the only option.
    Johnny, I'm more concerned with no rubbing than a lowered ride height. I tow a small trailer and don't want my Mirage to squat with the trailer. I'm doing VW springs too. Where did you get yours and what was the cost if you don't mind?

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

I'm not sure what years you're looking for but these guy's show a bunch of rear springs for an 11' beetle(trailing axle style) $50 a piece. Might be able to jew them down a little.

Thorold Auto Parts and Recyclers -QRP Canada Can-ON(Thorold) Request_Quote 1-905-227-4118 / 1-800-263-4708

Found it on car-part.com

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I'm not sure what years you're looking for but these guy's show a bunch of rear springs for an 11' beetle(trailing axle style) $50 a piece. Might be able to jew them down a little.

Thorold Auto Parts and Recyclers -QRP Canada Can-ON(Thorold) Request_Quote 1-905-227-4118 / 1-800-263-4708

Found it on car-part.com
    Hey, thanks Fummins, I'm going to see if '11 springs are Ok (does anyone here know?) and then try to squeeze a few bucks off these guys. It would sure beat ordering and having to deal with something gone wrong.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

I guess the one thread about using beetle springs, https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...spring-upgrade used springs from a 98' beetle. I found some of those too Caughill Auto Wreckers Can-ON(Niagara-on-the-Lake) Request_Quote 905-934-1941 They have them listed at $35 a piece.
    I'll try to post a screen shot of the results

Attachment 15835
    Attachment 15836
    Last edited by Fummins; 11-06-2019 at 08:34 PM. Reason: Well that didn't go as planned.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Ya, I saw those also. I'm going to swing by and talk them down if I can and get them.

This car part site is incredible, I also found my heated seats

The yard I used to work at was just beginning to switch over to car-part when I quit. They had wyse 50 computers when I started then got slightly newer ones running windows with an emulator to use the old system still. It is nice being able to look up who has what without having to phone around and sit on hold.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I remember the days of waiting on hold for ages just to be told they had the assembly from year xx12 and year xx14 which are identical but not year xx13 which was of course, different. Rinse, repeat with the next yard.

Business Up Front Johnny Mullet's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The New Beetle springs I got raised the rear and they were $25.00 each from a local junkyard from a 2006.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I know spring technology, a little bit.

I think a spring is good forever unless you push it past it's limits, ie, you compress it beyond design specs, or it exceeds the number of cycles the underlying metal can withstand.

Can a spring be tested freehand in any way? Am I better off getting a newer spring with likely less mileage and fewer cycles or does it matter that much?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fit View Post
    I have to roll and also pull the rear fenders. I am running an aggressive 25 offset wheels with 185/55/15 tires with coil overs.
    Roll is to roll the lip flat. It may or may not be enough for you.
    I pulled mine out following the guide in this YouTube video which is the best fender rolling and pulling videos around:
    https://youtu.be/DYzhY7SN6hM

I bought a fender roller tool from China. They are not that expensive and a worthwhile investment for me. Makes the job much easier.
    As Loren pointed out there is a rubber piece which you can remove. It will drop off as you roll the fenders.
    Sorry to revive an old post but I’d love some reassurance before I dive in head first. Did/do you have any issues with rust from the rubber/seam sealer piece falling off? Did it ruin the paint? How long did it take to do it? I’ve YouTubed how to do it and all that but would love any info that has to do with OUR vehicles.