Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mitsubishi Trouble Codes (P3720 - SOLVED - and B16FF)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Mitsubishi Trouble Codes (P3720 - SOLVED - and B16FF)

Getting mixed results on Mitsubishi-specific trouble codes. I have two: P3720 and B16FF. The P3720 is likely from the header/emissions-related. The B16FF APPEARS to be either antilock brake system/electronic suspension/steering systems.

Anyone have a definitive Mitsubishi trouble code list for the Mirage? Or a path to precisely diagnosing my trouble codes? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.

Last edited by MetroMPG; 08-23-2018 at 05:19 PM. Reason: (added info to title)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Qrush View Post
    Getting mixed results on Mitsubishi-specific trouble codes. I have two: P3720 and B16FF. The P3720 is likely from the header/emissions-related. The B16FF APPEARS to be either antilock brake system/electronic suspension/steering systems.

Anyone have a definitive Mitsubishi trouble code list for the Mirage? Or a path to precisely diagnosing my trouble codes? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.
    Have you checked the factory service manual?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    There's a link to the FSM buried on this forum somewhere. I downloaded the whole set of PDF's and keep it on my PC. You should, too!

Stuff like this is in there.

But, the specific code B16FF is not in there.

The B16xx codes listed are
    DTC B1690: electromagnetic interference
    DTC B1691: occupant sensing antenna
    DTC B1693: occupant sensing antenna open
    DTC B1694: occupant sensing ant.sht to gnd
    DTC B1695: occupant sensing ant.sht to bat

So, I'd guess something to do with the system that detects the presence of a person in the passenger seat.

Oddly enough P3720 is also not listed.

The interwebs seem to indicate it's a potential transmission fault code, but it's a Mitsu-specific code... so, it could be anything. http://p3720.enginecodes.net/

That's a couple of oddball codes. Have you done anything unusual with the car lately? Swapped seats? Removed the center console? Done anything that could have disturbed the ECU wiring? If so, verify that nothing was unplugged or damaged... or got wet... or anything like that. Then reset the codes... and see if they come back. If you've got a real problem, the code will ALWAYS come back.
    Simplify and add lightness.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (08-23-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks for the help, Loren. Tomorrow I am going to clear the codes and see what happens after. I installed an OBD2 splitter, but no wires altered or anything like that. Something is amiss with my right side brake assembly. From time-to-time, the brake stays active (~10-15% pressure, or so it feels) without depressing the pedal. Feels like a parachute attached to the car. Also, the brake indicator light on the dash lights up occasionally during driving, when it is not depressed. Something is wrong, cant dial in yet. More study forthcoming.

I assume you've checked the obvious and made sure your brake fluid level isn't too low to trip the brake light?
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Pretty busy right now, but going to go over the brake system tomorrow. I will post after.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    So, the brake light indicator was likely for low fluid. The issue with the constant brake pressure, was a ruined caliper-cylinder o-ring and its seal.

Grabbed a repair kit (143.46021)
    Name:  caliper repair kit.jpg
Views: 1334
Size:  68.6 KB
    ...and filled her up with fluid (706202)
    Name:  brake fluid.jpg
Views: 1186
Size:  81.1 KB
    I cleared the DTC's and took it for a test drive. So far, so good. No brake indicator light and the car is back to its peppy and free self. Case closed.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Qrush For This Useful Post:

craigq (08-22-2018),Eggman (08-22-2018),inuvik (08-22-2018),MetroMPG (08-23-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    So, was the seal damaged when the brake pads were replaced?

I just replaced my pads, and did have to give that a close look on assembly to be sure it wasn't pinched. It tends to not fold into the caliper bore like it should when you compress the piston. Would be very easy to tear.
    Simplify and add lightness.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Nah, that went smooth as usual. Somehow water got into the caliper-cylinder housing and some corrosion started the chain-reaction, ruining all the tender bits. This wouldn't allow the cylinder to re-seat flush and kept the pad rubbing against the rotor, constantly.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren View Post
    So, was the seal damaged when the brake pads were replaced?
    I suppose a hole in the seal could have been the initial cause for the water-caused-corrosion on the cylinder, though.