Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I put 2oz of rain x windshield additive in coolant!

Country
    United States
    Thanks

I put 2oz of rain x windshield additive in coolant!

Put about 2oz in coolant by accident coolant was 3/4 full put some water on top to flush will it be ok? Additive is 90% water it says

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Most likely it’s ok BUT adding tap water is probably the bigger issue. Minerals in tap water could cause some real problems. The Mirage uses a specific type coolant and if adding water I would only use distilled water.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    Most likely it’s ok BUT adding tap water is probably the bigger issue. Minerals in tap water could cause some real problems. The Mirage uses a specific type coolant and if adding water I would only use distilled water.
    Oh great lol well from now on ill only do coolant

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    From the owners manual

Do not use alcohol or methanol antifreeze or any engine coolants that contain them. Using the wrong antifreeze can corrode aluminum parts.

Use “Mitsubishi Motors Genuine Super Long Life Coolant Premium” or equivalent*.
    *: similar high quality ethylene glycol based non-silicate, non-amine, non- nitrate and non-borate coolant with long life hybrid organic acid technology.

Do not use water to adjust the concentration of coolant.
    Do not top off the tank with plain water only. Water by itself boils at a lower temperature and does not stop rust or freezing. If the water freezes, it will damage your cooling system. Do not use tapwater. It can cause corrosion

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (08-23-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thank you yea coolant from now on hopefully itll b ok though

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodger86 View Post
    Put about 2oz in coolant by accident coolant was 3/4 full put some water on top to flush will it be ok? Additive is 90% water it says
    Dodger86, if the Rain-X windshield additive was added directly to your radiator, I would be worried if I were you. If it were added to the coolant overflow tank, it should be simple and easy to remove and replace with the right stuff.

If it's in your overflow tank, do whatever you can to get it all removed and add some fresh and proper antifreeze coolant mixture. It's a small price to pay compared to coolant circuit problems and repair costs down the road.

I can imagine two approaches to doing this:
    1. Remove the bottle from your Mirage and dump out what's in there.
    2. Leave the bottle in place and either pump or siphon out what's in there.

Easy peasy.

Oh, and I'm not a fan of Rain-X.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (08-23-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Total coolant capacity according to the owner's manual is 4.2(MT) or 4.8(CVT) quarts.

32 oz in a quart, so the total capacity is at least 134 oz.

2/134 = 1.5%

Personally, I wouldn't give it another thought.

But, if you're worried about it, unless you've driven a lot, it's all still in the coolant overflow tank. Even if you've driven some, 99% of it is still in the tank. Drain it. Rinse it. Refill it.

If you live somewhere that actually freezes, use proper Mitsubishi-approved coolant (yes, there are several VERY different kinds of coolant, and you should absolutely not mix them). If it doesn't freeze where you are, you're fine just filling the overflow with DISTILLED water. (and it will, in time, become tainted with antifreeze as the overflow system does its job... overflowing into the tank when hot, sucking back out of the tank as it cools)

Rain-X, when properly applied, is the best thing in the world.

If you've ever own a really old ratty used car and seen "rusty" coolant, that is almost always caused by the use of plain tap water in the cooling system. It's got lots of minerals and stuff in it, and no anti-corrosion or lubricating additives in it. (aside from the lack of anti-freezing ability) Used to see it all the time here in FL back when I drove those kinds of cars.

If you've got a pristine cooling system, KEEP IT THAT WAY. Always use the proper coolant, and if you're using water at all, distilled water only.
    Simplify and add lightness.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:

Gnarles2 (08-24-2018),MetroMPG (08-23-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    For piece of mind just dump out the coolant and refill with new coolant.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yeah, I'd definitely replace all the coolant ASAP. Later problems could be a $$$nightmare$$$

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)

I've never been able to find coolant for the Mirage that isn't premixed already. I add aftermarket coolant all the time. It meets Mitsubishi specs and is blue as well. The aftermarket does produce more than dex-cool and green stuff nowadays.

I wouldn't worry too much unless you plan on keeping the car til you die. Even then, you might need a rad or water pump 5-10 years down the road. Or maybe not...

Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)