Thread: cvt question - reverse inhibit

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

cvt question - reverse inhibit

This is probably a question for our experienced cvt mechanic, Mr. Fummins....
    Although I always put my cvt into neutral before shifting either into reverse or drive, sometimes it's not possible to wait more than a second or two (for example, three point turn or backing in to a parking spot with impatient drivers waiting for me to move). Does the cvt have some kind of inhibit to prevent damage in the event someone switches from drive to reverse too quick?
    I wonder, too, if not waiting a second or two can cause a problem because I believe Mitsubishi even mentions in the manual how to rock a stuck vehicle by switching from drive to reverse.
    Thanks.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have a 18’ G4 with the CVT and I don’t wait a second or 2 before shifting the transmission from drive to reverse or vise versa. I come to a stop or just about stopped when moving the shift lever and I don’t have any issues. I definetly do come to a complete stop when shifting the lever into park.
    Last edited by FloridaG4; 08-23-2018 at 04:50 PM.

I wouldn't bother putting it in neutral when shifting between d and r. I wouldn't do shift between the 2 while moving though.
    I couldn't tell you if there's an inhibit to lock out reverse. There may be something that'll stop it from shifting into reverse while doing 70mph but I'm not going to be the one to try that out. Could always get a rental and give it a try?
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My habit when shifting between D and R is to pop it into neutral while I'm still moving. That way there's no torque fighting my stop, and it's buttery smooth. Then drop it in the correct gear as soon as I'm stopped.

As for "inhibiting", I think any car that has a purely electronic shifter (no mechanical linkage) has got some self-protecting logic to keep you from commanding something that is "impossible" or harmful. For example, take any automatic that has a manual mode. try to shift UP beyond 2nd gear when you're going 5 mph. Not gonna happen. Try to shift down when you're going 60... it will go down to a point... probably won't let you get into 2nd because it knows it can't. I would suspect similar logic if you tried to shift into reverse while moving forward with anything more than about 2 mph.
    Simplify and add lightness.

Yeah, makes sense in a manual.
    The cvt's actually do have a mechanical linkage from the shifter directly to the valvebody and to the park pawl as well. Just like a regular automatic from many moons ago. These cars aren't fancy enough to have electric shifter. They work similar to a skidoo with but I don't picture too many of those in Florida?
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    They work similar to a skidoo with but I don't picture too many of those in Florida?
    They call them jet skis.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Alex1a1f (08-25-2018)