Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Another lesson learned

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have learned how to drive better to a point and I eventually will upgrade this car for more than the point A to B while keeping efficiency in mind. When I drive besides sometimes on onramps I will keep the revs low, shift at the 3k and always keep it in the higher gears. And I have looked around for something like a track in Ohio to take my mirage for fun and found MidOhio will let you track your car after taking thier driving course first

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 37.4 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    You don't have to go full "race track" to have some fun with your car. Look into autocross. It's a lot cheaper, more novice-friendly, and "entry-level". They will probably balk at your Mirage, though. The Mirage is generally considered too tall for its wheelbase, and some clubs might not let you autocross it. The SCCA clubs are the ones most likely to say no to the Mirage, as they have specific guidelines in their rulebook. But, whatever club is putting on events near you... it never hurts to ask.

https://neohioscca.com/

http://ovr-scca.org/

https://akronsportscar.club/
    Simplify and add lightness.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks! I've looked into the websites and found one I'd be interested in, I think Auto crossing would be a great start into racing for me. Definitely would give me an excuse to get a new suspension lol

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 37.4 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Mainly, it gives you a great outlet for your "need for speed", so that you'll be less inclined to play games on the street. It's also a great way to amplify your driving skills to avoid potential problems on the street.

You'll find autocross people are generally very welcoming. Once you get in with them, they're usually pretty eager to help. PM me if you have any questions, I've been autocrossing since 1995. (and I've done track events, and racing, and a little bit of rallycross, etc, etc)
    Simplify and add lightness.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:

Subcompact Culture (08-28-2018)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fc321 View Post
    I would direct you to some of the threads on hypermiling. These are efficient driving techniques that will save fuel, save wear and tear on the tires, clutch and brakes. And it is safe driving that will dramaticaly lower your odds of getting into a car crash.
    Strong disagree.

Hypermiling is great if you are on some bumpkin backroad, but in any city or on any freeway it'll get you run over or at the very least road-raged to death. Speed limits are meant to be obeyed, that applies to both above AND below speed.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 36.9 mpg (US) ... 15.7 km/L ... 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrelirwin View Post
    Strong disagree.

Hypermiling is great if you are on some bumpkin backroad, but in any city or on any freeway it'll get you run over or at the very least road-raged to death. Speed limits are meant to be obeyed, that applies to both above AND below speed.
    I disagree wholeheartedly. To think that a speed limit is both a maximum and a minimum is a misunderstanding.

There is an excess of aggressive driving these days. Drivers would do everyone a favor to slow the * down. The worst offenders are young drivers with no children who don't understand a parent's instincts to protect their family. To me, aggressive driving often comes across as the highest form of self-centeredness.

We all gotta share the road. It's not mine, and it's not yours.
    Last edited by Eggman; 02-25-2019 at 03:28 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

01-7700 (02-28-2019),timw4mail (02-25-2019),tomrad (02-25-2019)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    I disagree wholeheartedly. To think that a speed limit is both a maximum and a minimum is a misunderstanding.

There is an excess of aggressive driving these days. Drivers would do everyone a favor to slow the * down. The worst offenders are young drivers with no children who don't understand a parent's instincts to protect their family. To me, aggressive driving often comes across as the highest form of self-centeredness.

We all gotta share the road. It's not mine, and it's not yours.
    What I despise is this new trend from some drivers to 'bully' by rolling up as close as they can, tailgating, passing and then cutting back in front of me, incredibly close.
    All this, because I have the nerve to run at the speed limit! And I'm usually a 'shade' over, 52 in a 50!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to tomrad For This Useful Post:

poorman1 (02-26-2019)

I'll try to word this right... I don't have a problem with people trying to save 50cents on each fill up by driving like an old lady everywhere but......
    I strongly feel that people who are driving unreasonably below the speed limit, holding up traffic, not keeping right except to pass(unless taking a left hand off ramp or turn of course)on highways, going slow when you can't pass then speeding up in passing lanes where it's safe, and other instigating, road rage inducing, inconsiderate things are just as self centered if not more than people who are just doing the speed limit aka "aggressive drivers"

Don't get me wrong I can't stand aggressive drivers, I have kids and don't want some idiot rear ending me cause they're following to close or swerving in and out of traffic like an idiot. And a lot of the time those are childless teenagers or self entitled morons in audi's who want everyone to move out of the way just for them. But I've seen just as many cotton tops as I have teens drive like goofs.
    My parental instincts say to drive considerately and safely. If I can't afford gas while driving the speed limit then I'll either cut back on other expenses or buy a bus pass. I'll probably eat my words once I'm retired though lol

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Tyrelirwin (03-05-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tomrad View Post
    What I despise is this new trend from some drivers to 'bully' by rolling up as close as they can, tailgating, passing and then cutting back in front of me, incredibly close.
    All this, because I have the nerve to run at the speed limit! And I'm usually a 'shade' over, 52 in a 50!
    As a part-time behind-the-wheel instructor, I am amazed at how rude some drivers are to a vehicle that has "STUDENT DRIVER" plastered all over it!

Oh well, it gives us first hand experience being around poor, clueless, or just impatient drivers.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I'll try to word this right... I don't have a problem with people trying to save 50cents on each fill up by driving like an old lady everywhere but......
    I strongly feel that people who are driving unreasonably below the speed limit, holding up traffic, not keeping right except to pass(unless taking a left hand off ramp or turn of course)on highways, going slow when you can't pass then speeding up in passing lanes where it's safe, and other instigating, road rage inducing, inconsiderate things are just as self centered if not more than people who are just doing the speed limit aka "aggressive drivers"

Don't get me wrong I can't stand aggressive drivers, I have kids and don't want some idiot rear ending me cause they're following to close or swerving in and out of traffic like an idiot. And a lot of the time those are childless teenagers or self entitled morons in audi's who want everyone to move out of the way just for them. But I've seen just as many cotton tops as I have teens drive like goofs.
    My parental instincts say to drive considerately and safely. If I can't afford gas while driving the speed limit then I'll either cut back on other expenses or buy a bus pass. I'll probably eat my words once I'm retired though lol
    Oh, I didn't necessarily mean young drivers. As a matter of fact, most seem to be middle aged, often driving business vans and trucks. It's not isolated to any age, demographic, etc.
    Driving 15-20 or more over the limit is not acceptable, and I see that daily. And passing people who are running the speed limit is also not right.