Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Another lesson learned

I was typing the same time as you. I was replying to eggman.
    I'm not against people going over the speed limit, within reason. Out here you can get away with going 9k over/5.5mph over without getting fined. Going 15-20mph over is a lot different, that's 24-32kph. Even on a highway I wouldn't speed that much(anymore). Passing people going the speed limit, doesn't hurt my feelings at all. Just don't put anyone at risk(especially me) while doing it and I could care less. Maybe I'm just not old and crotchety enough yet?

Perhaps one day everyone will just have cars that are totally autonomous, no more tailgaters, impaired drivers,getting cut off, road rage and no more big stupid head speeders

Last edited by Fummins; 02-26-2019 at 01:54 PM. Reason: Can't remember

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Note: Though Fummins brings up some noteworthy comments, my response is not directed at him but at the ideas. Also keep in mind that I speak for myself here, not the forum or it's administrators. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I'll try to word this right... I don't have a problem with people trying to save 50cents on each fill up by driving like an old lady everywhere but......
    Easy driving saves much more than just fuel. It saves wear and tear on drivetrain, brakes, tires, etc. Don't forget the environmental impact - the needless pollution and wasting of resources. It also saves the nerves of the driver and of the rest of the motoring public in general.

I strongly feel that people who are driving unreasonably below the speed limit, holding up traffic, not keeping right except to pass(unless taking a left hand off ramp or turn of course)on highways, going slow when you can't pass then speeding up in passing lanes where it's safe, and other instigating, road rage inducing, inconsiderate things are just as self centered if not more
    I agree, this describes another form of aggression.

than people who are just doing the speed limit aka "aggressive drivers"
    I agree up until this point. Let's not confuse aggressive drivers with those who are doing the speed limit. Also keep in mind that there are more driving behaviors than speed that constitute aggressive driving.

Don't get me wrong I can't stand aggressive drivers, I have kids and don't want some idiot rear ending me cause they're following to close or swerving in and out of traffic like an idiot. And a lot of the time those are childless teenagers or self entitled morons in audi's who want everyone to move out of the way just for them. But I've seen just as many cotton tops as I have teens drive like goofs.
    My parental instincts say to drive considerately and safely. If I can't afford gas while driving the speed limit then I'll either cut back on other expenses or buy a bus pass. I'll probably eat my words once I'm retired though lol
    I would figure that any driving instructor would discourage aggressive driving habits and in turn I would expect that all drivers would at least be exposed to the hazards of it, and how aggressive driving can lead to many other problems such as road rage.

My post was initially centered on the false and confused claim that speed limits are both minimums and maximums, which has lead to the bigger discussion of aggressive driving. My contention is that aggressive driving, in all it's forms (including racing and 'performance mods' which ultimately lead to even more aggressive driving) is an exercise in self-centered, ego-driven behavior.

The Mirage, as basic transportation, has a tendency to make the driver acutely aware of how the ego influences our behaviors. The Mirage will get you to your destination. You might not get there in a 'spirited' manner, but you'll get there in a reliable and cost-effective way.

I could go on and on about this. In the end, I understand the Mirage is not for everyone. But I think everyone would benefit from driving a Mirage with the right outlook.
    Last edited by Eggman; 02-26-2019 at 02:42 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Fummins (02-26-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrelirwin View Post
    Strong disagree.

Hypermiling is great if you are on some bumpkin backroad, but in any city or on any freeway it'll get you run over or at the very least road-raged to death.
    It's a misconception that you have to drive slowly to hypermile.

I have coached more than a few friends/family/acquaintances on how to drive efficiently in the city. We measure MPG and average speed on a set route that we drive multiple times. Part of the coaching is me driving their car to demonstrate techniques. Almost without exception, I get better MPG than the students, and do it while driving at a higher average speed. Saving fuel doesn't have to mean boring, slow driving. More than anything, it means smart driving.

Relating eco-driving back to the topic of this thread: carrying more speed through the turns saves lots of gas too. Hard on the tires? Yeah, that too. But more fun!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

foama (02-28-2019),Fummins (03-05-2019),Tyrelirwin (03-05-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I actually think a lot of people are more aggressive when in the presence of a mirage or any tiny car, metro etc. I feel they go extra fast by with that "I'll show this little car who's boss" obviously they have deep rooted issues but it seems I've noticed that driving my mirage plenty. Where I dont botice it driving my Tundra. And I dont accelerate any faster so thats not a reason.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Anybody else notice that this was a 6-month-old thread about premature tire wear?

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scratchpaddy For This Useful Post:

foama (02-28-2019),Fummins (03-05-2019)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    I actually think a lot of people are more aggressive when in the presence of a mirage or any tiny car, metro etc. I feel they go extra fast by with that "I'll show this little car who's boss" obviously they have deep rooted issues but it seems I've noticed that driving my mirage plenty. Where I dont botice it driving my Tundra. And I dont accelerate any faster so thats not a reason.
    In these parts the Mirage is a small, but not a tiny car. The driving experience, in particular the interaction with other drivers, is like with any other car.
    On the other hand my daughter has a really tiny car with a tiny low-power engine, a Fiat Sceicento with 39 hp. On the highway and in town it swims with the croud, but regularly and frequently other cars will overtake you and zip in really too close in front of you, or overtake you and swerve practically through you into the exit lane, forcing hard braking to avoid an accident caused by that stupid idiot. Now this tiny Fiat is about the smallest thing seen on the road here, and that sort of behavior of other drivers is unfortunately a common experience in that car.

The Mirage on the other hand qualifies as a normal small car here, and being forced to make emergency braking is a rare experience. I say that a someone who has a license since 1971, never had a ticket or an accident driving either a car or a big truck, and must have driven more than maybe two million kilometers by now.

I agree with Metro who said: "It's a misconception that you have to drive slowly to hypermile"

Einstein was right when he said the only truly infinite things were the universe and human idiocy.
    Last edited by foama; 02-28-2019 at 08:50 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    This is a big reason why I installed a dash cam, one that records both front and back.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

poorman1 (02-28-2019)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    A dashcam is a good idea, but in these parts they are illegal because they record other people without their express permission, and their use as evidence in court is therefore nill. As an accident victim, you might even get punished for having a dashcam. Grrrr.....

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That's interesting. I wonder how that affects tourists taking pictures of urban areas.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

poorman1 (02-28-2019)

That's a ridiculous law. So in an accident where who's at fault is in question do they just draw straws or rock paper scissors? lol

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

poorman1 (02-28-2019)