Thread: Another lesson learned

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrelirwin View Post
    I didn't claim it was law, I said that driving intentionally slow was a hazard. I stand by that.
    Your statements insinuate a legal requirement. The words you chose (obey) carry a meaning in your intent that caught my attention.

Speed limits are meant to be obeyed, that applies to both above AND below speed.
    And...

We don't have posted minimum speed limits on the highways here, so the posted limit DOES act as a min/max.

In our world, it is easy to go along life seeing only what we want to see. When it comes to driving on public roads there are many motorists of all walks of life who simply want to get to work, get to school, get to the hospital, respond to a fire or accident, et al.

We all have a reasonable expectation to our safety.

I would take a different approach if you framed your idea a little differently. For example, if you instead mentioned that the difference in speed creates a hazard, you have no argument from me on that point. I understand that and agree with it. I have a problem with the idea that speed limits are minimums as well as maximums. Because they are not legal minimum limits - that is why you can't find a legal reference to back it up.

I would like to find ways to get people to scale back their aggression on the roads. Here's the interesting thing about choosing to purchase a Mirage. The Mirage is a small, modestly-powered car. It is affordable to purchase, economical to operate and maintain, and reliable. It's size allows easy maneuverability, allowing it to easily navigate a variety of streets and parking areas. It fulfills the transportation needs of the vast majority of motorists.

I think the big thing that causes people to knock the Mirage is their ego. That in their mind, it's not powerful enough, not large enough, not fast enough. But in reality it's perfectly sufficient.

If only people would adjust their own expectations instead of demanding the rest of the world 'obey'...
    Last edited by Eggman; 03-08-2019 at 07:10 PM. Reason: Added third quote

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

foama (03-08-2019)