Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Alternator delete with regen braking modification for better MPG

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by codenamezero View Post
    That's why i suggested using super capacitor pack add-on, it will fill up quickly and anything extra would goes to the battery. I think you can use a half size deep cycle, then the other half you use super caps.
    Good point. Which electron storage chemistry do you think is more cost-effective in this application? I don't know what an appropriately-sized bank of super-capacitors would cost.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Am not. We are simply talking about different things.

I agree.

I believe this illustrates the disagreement. You are focused on exhaust restriction, I am talking about exhaust tuning.

I agree, you have a point.

Okay...

Tuned Exhaust
    No worries. We obviously talking about different things.

I still maintain that a free flowing exhaust is the best dollar for dollar way to gain power. Of course, replacing the exhaust does create a possibility for the computer to get angry. The computer has sensors on the exhaust system that monitor air to determine if the fuel mixture is too rich or lean.

I won't be monkeying with any of that stuff though. My gas mileage mods simply involve keeping air in the tires, regular maintenance, and an occasional Techron treatment.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    You are wrong.
    Am not.
    I'm not sure if you picked up on an invitation for truly petty bickering.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    You could replace your catalytic converter with a high-flow catalytic converter or none at all... You would have to retune the ECU. An ECU tune alone could give you better fuel consumption. You could also have the tune correct the CVT to stay in a lower ratio while you drive. You could change the fuel cutoff point. Along with some real skinny tires and more Aero for your vehicle you could probably achieve some better results but if you're going for economy you're going to lose power that's just the trade-off you're going to find if you start messing with the engine.

This thing already gets really good gas mileage though so unless you're planning a cross-country race where the lowest fuel consumption wins I don't really see any point as your gas savings will never equal the amount of money you're putting into it to achieve those results.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HitShane View Post
    You could replace your catalytic converter with a high-flow catalytic converter or none at all... You would have to retune the ECU. An ECU tune alone could give you better fuel consumption. You could also have the tune correct the CVT to stay in a lower ratio while you drive. You could change the fuel cutoff point. Along with some real skinny tires and more Aero for your vehicle you could probably achieve some better results but if you're going for economy you're going to lose power that's just the trade-off you're going to find if you start messing with the engine.

This thing already gets really good gas mileage though so unless you're planning a cross-country race where the lowest fuel consumption wins I don't really see any point as your gas savings will never equal the amount of money you're putting into it to achieve those results.
    Amen. My car has 217,926 miles on it and you don't see me crying about gas mileage. Ron sucks.

Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Loren (09-28-2018),TXmirageGUY (10-25-2018),Tyrelirwin (09-29-2018)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by codenamezero View Post
    Is not worth it to go through all the troubles. The money you need to buy all the parts and extra battery, would've equal out the little 5% you save on gas.
    5% savings on gas would save me a conservative $250/year.

It's a matter of perspective. Some drive more than others, some pay more for gas. (currently $5.00/gallon here)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 36.9 mpg (US) ... 15.7 km/L ... 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Good point. Which electron storage chemistry do you think is more cost-effective in this application? I don't know what an appropriately-sized bank of super-capacitors would cost.
    Check out these:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTa6Zx8zYhY
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3x_kYq3mHM

Lots of interesting videos:
    https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...r+battery+bank

Once you narrowed down the size you want, you can check out alibaba.com and find a cheap supplier. The ones mentioned in the videos, their price got jacked up quite a bit once they became popular.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Alright, lets get back to this project. Last I left it, I had fried my dc-dc converter. It can only handle 18V for 100ms, and is really only meant to handle 13.2V which is kind of low. When the alternator kicks on, it boots the voltage up to 14.4V. When you switch it back to the dc-dc converter, that is simply too high and it will eventually fry as mine did. This simply won't work for the next phase of this project. So, we have to revisit the design and make things a bit more robust.

This is what we started with:

This is what we're now going to. I've added a 7805 linear voltage regulator before the dc-dc converter. This linear voltage regulator will take 7-35V and convert it down to a regulated 5V. So, a voltage spike of 14.4V is nothing for this puppy to handle. It then spits out 5V to the new dc-dc convter which converts 5V to 15V. The old one took 12V and converted to 15V. This design will be a lot more robust and should really never have issues with frying components, yay!

Name:  alternator diagram 04.jpg
Views: 945
Size:  28.8 KB
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

Fummins (11-13-2018)

Slightly off topic, but have you considered trying to see if any one way clutches would fit the Mirage alternator? They've been around for a while and there might be something that'd fit. Wouldn't be able to get any kind of regen braking if you did though.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)