Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Alternator delete with regen braking modification for better MPG

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The DBW throttle uses a pair of potentiometers (or rheostats, if you prefer). Gotta have two in case one fails.

You'd have to get into the ECU logic to be able to (easily) pick up on when the car is in-gear coasting, but not idling. Basically, you want the alternator to charge when DFCO is enabled. If you could come up with a way to pick up that trigger through the OBD and switch a relay with it, you'd be golden!

Simplify and add lightness.

Quote Originally Posted by Loren View Post
    potentiometers
    That's the word I was too retarded to spell.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Loren (08-22-2019),mohammad (06-01-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren View Post
    Can't you take power for your circuit from a switched source rather than directly from the battery? Then it would be off when the car is off.
    That is an excellent idea and I will definitely do that.

As for the other methods of activating the alternator I like them, but I really want to keep this super simple for now. I am really not sure how much it'll actually regenerate. The alternator is rated for 85A, but that doesn't mean it'll dump that much power into the battery. I will be ordering an ammeter to see what kind of power I am actually sucking out of my braking process. If it turns out that it is actually doing a great job, I will probably look into more advanced methods of when to turn it on automatically.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

Loren (08-23-2019)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    That little voltage regulator is not an efficient little device. It draws .08A or 80mA. This doesn't sound like much, but over 24 hours it adds up to 2 amp hours. The battery should be around 75 amp hours. This means the circuit will drain 2.6% of the total battery capacity every day. Not horrible, but not good either.
    The quiescent current for the LM7805 IC should be 8mA maximum as per datasheet.
    7805 datasheet

Was the measurement taken for the Voltage regulator IC alone or w/ the DC-DC converter still connected?

If that DC-DC converter's still connected, I suspect the DC-DC converter is drawing up the bulk of the 80mA current drain. At 15-volts, the load resistor is drawing up only 10mA.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mitz For This Useful Post:

Daox (08-23-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The current measurement was taken for the whole circuit as it is right now. I do think I will just put it on switched power as Loren suggested. That should eliminate all phantom load.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I just finished ordering a fancy ammeter for the Mirage. I was just going to use an analog meter with a shunt. But, the more I looked around, the more I found cool nerdy stuff that would just be nice and the price was quite reasonable. So, I ended up going with an ammeter that also measures voltage and amp hours used. You can also set a capacity, and it has a pretty battery gauge on it. This gauge should much better show just how much power I am able to regenerate with my regen braking setup.

DC Multifunction Battery Monitor Meter

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

Fummins (08-29-2019),MetroMPG (08-29-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That's cool!
    Simplify and add lightness.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I moved the circuit into the cabin today. This should have been a short ordeal, but it really wasn't. For the life of me, I could not find an easy and quick ground for this circuit. I finally ended up finding a unused hole on the steering column and bolted the wire to it.

While I was moving the circuit into the cabin, I also added a toggle switch to it. Now I can turn my alternator on and off at will. I tested it and it works great!

Here are some pictures of the process.

The fuse wire now runs through the firewall into the cabin.

Name:  IMG_20190828_150338287.jpg
Views: 888
Size:  94.3 KB

I stuffed the circuit in the glove box for the time being. I'll tidy it up after its all in there and working.

Name:  IMG_20190828_151716686_HDR.jpg
Views: 796
Size:  93.4 KB

Then, I had a heck of a time finding a ground... I really don't know what else to say. This really shouldn't be a hard thing to do, but it seemed to take me for forever.

The switch is currently just on a wire and I have to grab it and flick it on. I tried it on a quick drive tonight and it works beautifully. I will be adding the amp hour meter once I get it. But, in the mean time I think I'll hookup a 200A ammeter that I have kicking around. That should show me roughly how much power I'm getting with the regenerative braking.

Name:  IMG_20190828_172143901.jpg
Views: 833
Size:  91.8 KB

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

LetItMarinate (08-30-2019),Loren (08-29-2019),MetroMPG (08-29-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    There is a decent hill right before I turn into the industrial park at work. Of course the turn is right at the bottom of the hill, so it's often that I DFCO (deceleration fuel cutoff- aka coasting in gear) down it. Today I flicked the alternator on during the decent. Wow, I actually noticed the braking power. I was surprised that it was that noticeable. It is probably only providing about 1hp of braking power. I am not doubting that, but the fact that it's so easy to feel. I was impressed.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

Loren (08-29-2019)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    That's good to know.

I'll be doing my own testing when I get hold of the DC-DC converter I suggested at post #82. I expect the output voltage can be adjusted to the exact 14.4V as required. I'm looking also at the very high possibility that the brake switch can be successfully integrated for the charging action.