Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122

Thread: Alternator delete with regen braking modification for better MPG

6-7% gain, estimated

So, I drove with the alternator off [simply disconnected] for probably 90% of the last tank.

Tank MPG was 9% higher than the previous tank, with similar trips.

That said, the weather was a fair bit warmer, so we can't attribute all of the 9% gain to the alternator situation. Ambient temperature has a big effect on fuel economy.

Let's be conservative and call it 6-7%. Seems reasonable.

One thing I noticed is my driving style [mostly country secondary highways, next to no traffic] would benefit very little from having the regen feature.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    If you are still trying to figure out how to create regenerative braking functionality. Id like to propose tapping into one of the wheel ABS sensors. They normally provide a digital square wave signal that is representative of wheel rpm. This in combination with the brake lights being active will tell you the ideal times to be regenerative braking.

By tapping into the wheel speed sensor you can also only enable it above a certain wheel speed so that it won't turn on when youre creeping forward in stop and go traffic.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mohammad For This Useful Post:

Daox (06-10-2021)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I understand that auto stop and go models of our car have regen braking as a standard feature. Our alternators put out something like 75 amps. Are the batteries they use designed to charge at that rate? or does the ECU/ETACS system limit the regen braking charge rate to a much lower current?

Ive looked online for a while now and have not been able to find any type of battery under $1000 USD that is rated to CHARGE at 75+amps for any amount of time.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Lead acid batteries will charge at 75 amps. They'll just get warm, and this will not necessarily hurt them unless they get too warm. However, to charge this fast they need to be discharged to some degree to accept it.

The charging system in our cars is archaic (as it is in most vehicles). The voltage regulator puts out X voltage and lets whatever current will flow go. If the battery is at 11V it'll charge a LOT faster than if its at 12.5V (which is nearly full).
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I have an interesting question. I understand when you cut the field wire the alternator self excited, when you cut the sense wire the alternator outputted 15v.

I was wondering if you had tried to cut the ground wire? im unclear of its purpose but im curious as to what would happen.

Im also wondering if you took any measurements of the FR wire such as what frequency it operates at at certain battery voltages etc.

Im also curious if you had any idea about why the voltage regulator connects to one of the windings in the stator coil, id imagine that thous would be for rpm measurement but i dont understand its purpose?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mohammad For This Useful Post:

Daox (01-03-2022)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mohammad View Post
    I was wondering if you had tried to cut the ground wire? im unclear of its purpose but im curious as to what would happen.
    The ground wire is part of the Voltage Regulator IC electrical circuit. If you cut the Ground wire, I believe it will throw a DTC P0622.

Quote Originally Posted by mohammad View Post
    Im also curious if you had any idea about why the voltage regulator connects to one of the windings in the stator coil, id imagine that thous would be for rpm measurement but i dont understand its purpose?
    The stator connection appears to be common (or standard) in alternator voltage regulator IC designs. [One has yet to open up an alternator assembly to see what voltage regulator IC is actually in there. If somebody could only provide the part number, maybe we can search for the data sheet.]

https://www.onsemi.com/pdf/datasheet/cs3361-d.pdf

https://www.bosch-motorsport.com/con...tor_B3_LIN.pdf

I've come across this site w/c I think may explain the reason for the stator connection.
    https://www.embedded.com/designing-a...age-regulator/

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mitz For This Useful Post:

Daox (01-03-2022),mohammad (01-03-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    I would agree with Mitz. I imagine cutting the ground wire would cause a check engine light to come on.

I did not measure any FR wire specs. I was trying to keep it simple and didn't want to deal with any signal generators or anything like that.

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)