Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Alternator delete with regen braking modification for better MPG

One other benefit: if you care about efficiency and you've ever driven an EV or hybrid, it's just plain discouraging to go back to an old-school vehicle where pressing the brake just converts kinetic energy into heat & brake dust.

It's nice to be able to get something back with regen, even if it's small.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Daox (09-14-2018)

This might be a little off topic but maybe it'd be possible to rig up an exhaust powered generator/altenator? https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...y-regeneration

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FloridaG4 View Post
    During your work week will you be using more battery supply vs regeneration by braking where you would have to recharge the battery every few days or a on a weekly basis?
    That is a great question! Not to mention another great way to look at this mod. We will have to run the numbers to check it out for sure.

Math time! Again we are going to estimate the car uses an average of 20 amps while in use since I haven't tested that quite yet. My commute is about 25 minutes long.

20 amps * 25 minutes = 500 amp minutes

500 amp minutes / 60 = 8.3 amp hours

The car uses 8.3 amp hours, but we get 2.8 amp hours regenerated. This washes out to (8.3 - 2.8 = ) 5.5 amp hours used. The trip home would also use about 5.5 amp hours for a daily total of 11 amp hours.

Now, the battery holds about 80 amp hours, but we never want to use more than half of that. That gives us 40 amp hours to use. 40 / 11 = 3.6 days worth of commuting.

So, I can theoretically go 3 days before having to charge. Not too shabby. However, if I use more power than normal, that cuts it down. Eg. using headlights vs just running lights, wipers, more HVAC power, rear defroster, or the PTC heater would probably also suck a lot of power as well. Those all reduce that range.

In the end, I find it much easier to plug in every night. That gives me a full charge so I don't even have to worry about it at all unless I go on a long trip. If that happens, I just turn the alternator back on and get a little worse fuel economy. I also have a block heater that I run in the mornings, especially in winter. This necessitates plugging in every night, so I kind of do this already. Might as well top off the battery too.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    This might be a little off topic but maybe it'd be possible to rig up an exhaust powered generator/altenator? https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...y-regeneration
    That's just downright silly. This did make me think of something though.

For performance it would make a lot more sense to just remove the catalytic converter and replace the muffler with a free flow muffler.

That would give you better gas mileage without having to monkey with electronics, providing it didn't confuse the computer.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    They've been using that technology in formula 1 for a while now. It pretty cool. The motor/generator in the turbocharger not only can be used for regenerative braking, but it can also spool the turbo up early. Unfortunately, I'd imagine its pretty pricey.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

mohammad (11-06-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    That's just downright silly. This did make me think of something though.

For performance it would make a lot more sense to just remove the catalytic converter and replace the muffler with a free flow muffler.

That would give you better gas mileage without having to monkey with electronics, providing it didn't confuse the computer.
    Yeah everyone cut off your exhaust and get more performance

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    One other benefit: if you care about efficiency and you've ever driven an EV or hybrid, it's just plain discouraging to go back to an old-school vehicle where pressing the brake just converts kinetic energy into heat & brake dust.
    On the other hand, the hybrid system adds a lot of weight, which also has to be accelerated and de-accelerated. And as the energy regeneration isn't anywhere near 100%, it's hard to compensate the extra weight.

Recently we made a trip with 2 cars transporting each 4 adults. A Honda Civic Hybrid, and my Space Star. The Honda didn't perform bad, 22.7km/L, but my Space Star was not impressed, and did 24.8km/L on the same trip (about 80km non-city roads).
    While the Honda has about the same interior space, it weights about 450kg more. That's hard to compensate, apparently.

Maybe a city trip would have shown a different picture, as then more break energy can be recovered.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Space Star Cleartec Intense 1.0 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by Space Wolf View Post
    Recently we made a trip with 2 cars transporting each 4 adults. A Honda Civic Hybrid, and my Space Star.
    Related thread: 2017 Mirage sedan vs. 2009 Civic hybrid MPG showdown!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Eggman (09-25-2018),HitShane (09-28-2018),inuvik (09-25-2018),MetroMPG (09-25-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Come on, guys. Some of us like threads about creative technical modifications and would cruise right on by a thread about a new Kia Niro without blinking because we don't care about it.

This is why forums are (or should be) better than things like Facebook groups. On a FB group, everything is a "stream of conciousness", it's difficult to read, and almost impossible to reference information later. Forums are supposed to be better than that. Mods should be splitting topics like this to keep the main topic intact and not let a good thread deterioriate. "Compare and contrast the Niro and the Mirage OVER HERE in this new thread."

Last edited by Loren; 09-25-2018 at 03:23 PM. Reason: left out a word
    Simplify and add lightness.