Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Changes to the Mirage line-up in the U.S.

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    In this part of the world, the MSRP for the cheapest is €9990 minus a €2000 Mitsu rebate
    = €7990 being about US $6790 official Mitsubishi price
    Here (I live 5 km from Germany) the cheapest version is €11490 (link). In the Netherlands we have BPM, (a special tax for cars) which makes cars more expensive than abroad. This tax is relative to the CO2 emission, which would be €2911 for that German 'Basis'. So with BPM that 'Basis' would cost €10901 here. I think you also pay VAT over the BPM, which makes it €11483.
    For that 7 euros difference I'm not going to import a German Space Star.

Now the interesting part. In the page you linked, the emission is specified as 103g CO2/km for the 'Plus', while other models are higher. In the Netherlands it's 91g/km for the 1L CVT, and 100g/km for the 1.2 manual. I think the whole EU uses the same standards to measure this sort of things, which means that a German Space Star is different from a Dutch one. On paper a Dutch one is 10% more economical! (Yet @25plus gets 28.7km/L from his German sample, but that's another story). The difference in BPM for 91g/km and 103g/km is €1136. So Mitsubishi can spent €1000 a vehicle to drop the emission from 103g/km to 91g/km, offer the same retail price, and still have €136 more profit.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Space Star Cleartec Intense 1.0 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts

cheap base models

It's interesting to see how the Mirage/Space Star is offered in different parts of the world. The base model in Germany seems slightly more basic than the base (ES) model in the United States. A/C comes in all trim levels in the U.S.A, and the larger 1.2 engine is standard in all trim levels.

Starting in 2019, it appear all trim levels in the states will have cruise control. That makes a base model (ES) equipped with a lot of nice features. Then again, the price of the car is much higher here, too. The competition may dictate that some. There really aren't a lot of car that are as small the Mirage here. The Chevy Spark is probably the closest.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Wolf View Post

Now the interesting part. In the page you linked, the emission is specified as 103g CO2/km for the 'Plus', while other models are higher. In the Netherlands it's 91g/km for the 1L CVT, and 100g/km for the 1.2 manual. I think the whole EU uses the same standards to measure this sort of things, which means that a German Space Star is different from a Dutch one. On paper a Dutch one is 10% more economical! (Yet @25plus gets 28.7km/L from his German sample, but that's another story). The difference in BPM for 91g/km and 103g/km is €1136. So Mitsubishi can spent €1000 a vehicle to drop the emission from 103g/km to 91g/km, offer the same retail price, and still have €136 more profit.
    The car is exactly the same!

The reason for the perceived difference is simple:

The recently introduced EU emission measuring standard called ECE R 101 is used in Germany and other states.

The obsolete standard VO 715/2007 is still in use in a few states including the Netherlands, but shall be phased-out during this year.

By the new standard, the identical car gets a higher fuel consumption figure and higher CO2 output than with the old measuring standard.

Supposedly the new ECE R 101 gets more realistic results.

However, The latest brand new basic model sells from € 6798 currently about US $ 5778

See for yourself :

https://www.autoscout24.de/angebote/...6de8?cldtidx=1

https://www.autoscout24.de/lst/mitsu...&cy=D&atype=C&

https://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/s...DING&usage=NEW
    Last edited by foama; 09-01-2018 at 06:20 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

Space Wolf (09-02-2018)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    The car is exactly the same!

The reason for the perceived difference is simple:

The recently introduced EU emission measuring standard called ECE R 101 is used in Germany and other states.

The obsolete standard VO 715/2007 is still in use in a few states including the Netherlands, but shall be phased-out during this year.
    Ah, thanks for that. It explains a lot.

BTW, your links are all dead, or not accessible from abroad. They all give a 'Die gesuchte Seite existiert leider nicht mehr.'.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Space Star Cleartec Intense 1.0 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Wolf View Post

BTW, your links are all dead, or not accessible from abroad.
    Sorry the links went dead, but you can access that info easily like this:

Enter either:
    https://www.autoscout24.de
    or
    https://www.mobile.de

then enter Marke (make) as Mitsubishi and Modell (model) as Space Star by hand. You could tick "Neuwagen" (brand new) and thats it.
    Last edited by foama; 09-02-2018 at 02:55 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    But is there any news release from Mitsubishi Motors North America?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Senior Member Subcompact Culture's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    But is there any news release from Mitsubishi Motors North America?
    Not yet.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks for the post!

All manual shifts should come with cruise control standard; it's a thing of beauty. I've owned two: one pickup and one compact sedan with cruise and 5-speed; both with very low horsepower compared to what was in the market at the time. The truck was full size with only 150 hp but with a more respectable, 260 ft-lb torque at 2500 RPM. This was a 1989 model and so even V8s back then had under 200 hp, so it wasn't quite as underpowered for it's time as it might seem looking back today. The car had only 100 hp weighing 3200 pounds of curb weight but had 177 ft-lb at 1800-2400 RPM. The latter was diesel powered back when diesels had only an $1,100 premium. From my experience, that combination of cruise with standard shift cannot be replicated by most automatics with cruise control.

Thank God they're finally going the other direction with the 5-speed. I see a Mirage in my future, but a manual shift is the only next car I'll consider; and a manual shift w/o cruise is a huge disappointment, as I'm a rural commuter along state highways from 45-60 mph; 58 miles round trip commute (not a city dweller). This combination is also very under appreciated and it's probably because so few people drive straight shifts these days, but the ones who do, and the ones that drive on the highway with this combination will know that, the performance of a straight shift combined with cruise control is absolutely wonderful.

The reason why cruise with a manual is great is that you just get up to speed and get in to top gear; set the cruise; and then you truly cruise. Most automatics with cruise don't really cruise, particularly if you're driving something that does not have a lot of torque on the low end and you live somewhere that has hills; they constantly jump down gears and try to race; and it's almost always in the wrong place and the wrong time where the cruise is trying to catch the car back up to speed. I live in a hilly area and cruising isn't really cruising in my 2007 Saturn that weighs in at 3,600 pounds with 158 ft-lb torque that probably doesn't peak until above 4,000 RPM. My F150, on the other hand, also an automatic with a 6-speed, weighs 4190 curb weight, and has 375 ft-lbs at only 3,000 RPM, as it's a GDI turbo engine, and supposedly it has over 90% of that 375 ft-lb at only 1900 RPM. Even on a 5% grade at 60 mph and a head wind, with the cruise on, it will downshift only one gear and it will remain under 2,000 RPM to the top of the hill with no more speed change than maybe a mph or two. Conversely, the Saturn and many other naturally-aspired gas-powered cars with automatics that I've driven, on that same hill, will drop 5 mph and then downshift two or three gears and just as one gets to the top, with the engine still racing to catch up; the exact time that the cruise should be backing off, it's still racing. It's nerve racking and makes the cruise control worthless. This situation never occurs with a straight shift and cc. The worse thing that can happen, if the grade is too steep or the car engine too wimpy for any grade in top gear is that, it will slow down and start to lug, and you'll have to downshift manually; but this is much better than coming to the top of a 5% grade in 2nd gear and 5,200 RPM. That's no fun.

For 2017, the Mirage had cruise by stepping up trim level, and that sort of sucks, because I hate fancy climate control systems that take away manual control options and could care less about some of those other added features. For 2018, cruise is not offered whatsoever with a 5-speed. So I like this new change. I'll have to choose between new and preowned when the time comes to buy. I'm not happy with the high prices of preowned 2017s so far, and it'll be hard to find an SE with acceptable colors, etc. A 2018 w/o cruise would be a big sacrifice as I used cruise extensively. A 2019 all basic but with cruise control would be my car of the future if I can convince myself to pay for a new car.
    Last edited by gregsfc; 09-29-2018 at 12:59 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to gregsfc For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (09-30-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Cruise control is a necessity for me, but I am not willing to pay thousands extra to have a factory installation. For my last three vehicles, I saved a ton of money by adding Rostra cruise control kits to them.

I can't remember exactly how much extra they wanted for cruise on my 2014 Mirage but it was over $1,000. No thank you. For about $300 I put a nice Rostra unit in my car and I've been a very happy camper.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rostra-250-...-/262039447723

Incidentally, the Rostra kit for my Mirage was the easiest one I have installed yet. I only had to connect ground, 12 volts, and plug in some connectors. Pretty dang easy.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stevedmc For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (05-21-2019),gregsfc (09-30-2018),MetroMPG (09-30-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gregsfc View Post
    For 2017, the Mirage had cruise by stepping up trim level, and that sort of sucks, because I hate fancy climate control systems that take away manual control options and could care less about some of those other added features. For 2018, cruise is not offered whatsoever with a 5-speed. So I like this new change. I'll have to choose between new and preowned when the time comes to buy. I'm not happy with the high prices of preowned 2017s so far, and it'll be hard to find an SE with acceptable colors, etc. A 2018 w/o cruise would be a big sacrifice as I used cruise extensively. A 2019 all basic but with cruise control would be my car of the future if I can convince myself to pay for a new car.
    I bought my 2017 Mirage ES (manual) last October. I had the option of buying a highly discounted manual ES or SE. It was simplicity of the manual climate controls & steel wheels that pulled me towards the purchase of the ES. I really like the manual climate controls on the base level Mirage. Two months after my purchase, I bought an extra pair of steel wheels and added snow tires to the front of my Mirage. The factory hubcaps slapped right on the new steel rims making it cheap & easy to do.

My only draw to the 2017 SE would have been the cruise, but you can have that added. If your main concern is cruise or alloy wheels, you can make those changes later on for way less money. I test drove a 2018 Mirage ES (manual), & they wanted somewhere between $3000-4000 more "out-the-door" than what I paid for a new 2017. The only thing I really gave up for that difference was the back up camera. For that sort of money, I can rely on mirrors & turn my head around better.

If not priced to high, the 2019 Mirage ES (manual) with cruise is going to be a great package. From some of the things that I have read, the 2020 Mirage may be an updated/change vehicle. If that happens, they may want to push the 2019 models off the lots later next year. If you wait that long, however, you may run the risk of liking the changed model coming up. I doubt the next generation Mirage will be cheaper.