Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rear Bumper Damage

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I accrue dents and bumps and scratches here and there (Its hard to avoid it in the Big City). I have several on my 2015. I am just going to leave them until I hit year 5 and will have the car completely re-painted and take care of everything at once.

The first time the car got a deep scratch I was HORRIFIED and was cursing. But now 3 years later it barely bothers me. Its another reason I am not planning to buy new cars anymore from Dealership. When that first ding or scratch comes it is very traumatic. But have you ever lived for ten years without cutting your hands on something and needing a band-aid?

It occurred to me one day that it is an unreasonable belief to think we can drive a car for 5 years without picking up some dents scratches and dings. These things are an irritating part of daily life but even despite my best efforts to not scratch the car and I was waxing it every 6 months and doing hand washes at home to make sure the paint stays healthy...... Even with all that care and all that effort one day when I parked my Mirage at my Mom's house she backed up without paying attention and smashed the front bumper real hard on the side. I was PISSED

Even though she agrees to pay the bill at the body shop I still have not taken it to the body shop since I am just going to wait and fix everything at once.

It seems like some perverse law of the Universe that the dudes that detail their cars and wax them every 30 days and pay so much attention to them are usually the ones that come out of Walmart one day to find their car smashed by some hit and run parking lot idiot. That is truly a sickening feeling and I have had it happen to me more than once. That some jerk will crash my car in the parking lot and then run away before I come out to see it.

If I see somebody else doing it I am going to chase them and write down that tag number. Enough is enough already, these people need to be stopped.

2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to fc321 For This Useful Post:

inuvik (05-21-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Time for a dashcam. Look up KDLinks for an example. Good discount right now - $130 instead of the usual $199.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Time for a dashcam. Look up KDLinks for an example. Good discount right now - $130 instead of the usual $199.
    I couldnt agree with you more that we should all own a dashcam (I do). And here is why:

2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    When in doubt I stop short. Especially in the mirage, because it's very short in the first place, but in any case I'd rather stick out a little than bump something or not be seen in a spot and come back to a smashed front end because someone thought the spot was empty and just pulled right in.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 42.3 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.8 mpg (Imp)

Bummer about the bumper.

I've heard (read?) about an older couple who buy a new car every 5 years or so. The first thing they do when they get home is christen it with a brick on the hood so they can stop worrying about it from then on. Could be an urban myth, but I like the concept.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Bummer about the bumper.

I've heard (read?) about an older couple who buy a new car every 5 years or so. The first thing they do when they get home is christen it with a brick on the hood so they can stop worrying about it from then on. Could be an urban myth, but I like the concept.
    A bad hail storm hit my work area within 6-months of owning my Mirage. It was bad enough where hundreds of individuals has insurance claims on cars & house roofs in the area. Luckily it only left one large dent in the center of my Mirage's roof. If it needed to have an imperfection, I felt that was a good spot. A short person wouldn't even notice it!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (05-21-2020)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    On Dott crack bottom dead center of rear bumper. Have a family member that requires continued medical treatment at the hospital and someone parked behind and prob pressed there front plate into our bumper. It pissed me off. Fixed myself first time using bondo came out better then I thought.