Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Works Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Now that I think of it, the reason that I own a big 40 Gallon air compressor is because of a crankshaft pulley! I couldn't get one off of my Spitfire 10-12 years back.

I remember using a 4' pipe on a few Miatas, and one of them was so stubborn that we had to throw a bunch of penetrating oil and heat at it!

This one was quite easy in comparison. All done, btw.

Simplify and add lightness.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Ready for the reviewwwww.....
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    PERFORMANCE TESTING:

I did 5 acceleration runs today. 1500-6000 rpm on a flat road is my test method. I'm taking video of the tach at 30 fps, and using that to extrapolate time for 500 rpm segments within the range. I'll usually take each segment and try to come up with a logical "best repeatable value", and use those "bests" to compute a theoretical best. (because my test conditions are not perfect, none of my roads are fully flat)

So, my baseline runs yesterday gave me 8.134 seconds. Today's runs, if I reaaaaally stretch my extrapolations, maybe 8.033. But, it's so close that I'm not even going to claim it. Maybe I'll claim half of it, and call it 8.08.

Using video to read time at 30 fps means each frame is .033 seconds. A .033 error at the beginning and another at the end could be as much as .066 seconds error. It's really hard to claim a improvement of .1 seconds or less with that kind of resolution!

Bottom line, the difference, and I'm sure there is one... there has to be... is so small that it's in the noise for my test method.

I'm banking on this being a good mod to work with a lightweight flywheel... which I'm still trying to figure out how I'll do.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren View Post
    I'm banking on this being a good mod to work with a lightweight flywheel... which I'm still trying to figure out how I'll do.
    Maybe there is a flywheel here for experimentation: Rkt Ship: Couple things for sale

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Loren (09-19-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Pics?
    (blank signature)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Weighed the stock pulley on my kitchen scale: 2 lbs 12.8 oz or 2.8 pounds.

The new one weighs 1.03 pounds. So, total weight saved = 1.77 pounds.

Took a few more photos. I'm not doing a formal DIY or anything. It's not a difficult job, the factory manual is readily available, and if you don't know what you're doing... you should probably have someone else do it, or do it with "adult supervision". (Improper torque on the crank bolt can lead to it backing out, the pulley banging around on the front of the crankshaft, and ultimately destroying your crankshaft nose... it's something you want to be sure you get right!)

Step 1: Loosen the alternator and remove the accessory belt. The manual points out that you should mark the direction of the belt so that you put it back on turning in the same direction.

Step 2: Jack up the car, remove the wheel, and remove the fender liner. 16 plastic clips and one bolt.

That gets you here:

Step 3: Remove the 22mm crankshaft pulley bolt. You will very likely need some kind of a tool to hold the pulley while you turn the bolt. Air impact didn't work for me. And even if you did, you still need to hold the pulley to properly torque it. (I wouldn't trust the ol' "hammer it on with the impact" trick for a crankshaft pulley) With the proper holding tool, I was able to "easily" remove the bolt with a 24" breaker bar. (I'm a 170-pound weakling, so "easily" means "with a great deal of effort, and I'll be sore tomorrow")

This is the simple tool that I made. It worked perfectly for both the stock and the replacement pulley. It likely scuffed the paint on the new one, I didn't care enough to look.

Here's a side-by-side of the stock and Works pulleys. Same diameter. I didn't measure anything else, it looks right. The only thing that's weird is that they put their logo on the back side. Oops!

Step 4: Install the new pulley with a light smear of engine oil on the threads, as per the manual. Torque to 37 fl-lbs, then another 1/6 turn.

Step 5: Reinstall the belt, tighten the alternator, reinstall the fender liner and the wheel. Done!

There are a few more photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/426263...57694620103162

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:

Angrybeaver (09-20-2018),Daox (09-24-2018),Fopeano (01-18-2023),FreeYourSOUL (09-21-2018),Marklovski (09-20-2018),MetroMPG (09-27-2018),Qrush (09-21-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Great write up and thanks for the testing!

On the more subjective side of things, does it make anything feel different? Does it rev up/down any faster?
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It's really, REALLY hard to say. I'll commit to a "maybe". You know, I want it to. But, does it really?

I've never done any formal MPG testing, but I feel like "maybe" it could have improved that, as well.

I sort of figured out how this car "wants" to be driven for best hypermiling very shortly before installing the pulley, so it's hard to say for sure. But, I used to have a hard time getting 50 mpg in this car, and now I can get 51-53 out of it. So, maaaaybe some of that is because it's got 2 pounds less mass to accelerate on the crankshaft?

Equate it to this: If you fit a set of wheels that were .5 pounds lighter. That's a total of 2 pounds. Could you feel the difference? I couldn't. For wheels, I don't really feel anything less than 2-3 pounds per wheel.

But, every little bit adds up.

Flywheel, rear seat delete, and lightweight battery are on my short list.

Already have light wheels (10.6 lbs), and deleted rear wiper. I really haven't done a lot in the name of lightness on this car yet. Trying to resist the crazy urges.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:

Daox (09-24-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    I've added this to the mods list.

Thanks for sharing all the info Loren!
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by Loren View Post
    (Improper torque on the crank bolt can lead to it backing out, the pulley banging around on the front of the crankshaft, and ultimately destroying your crankshaft nose...
    Spoken like a true NA Miata owner!

===

Thanks for documenting this mod.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)