Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Test Drive : New 2018 Hyundai ACCENT SE w/ 6 speed auto

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Test Drive : New 2018 Hyundai ACCENT SE w/ 6 speed auto

The car rode and handled well with very little cabin noise . The interior seems tight with no rattles at that time . Top speed was 60 with 60% (Hwy) / 40% (City) and 2 people . The display showed 15 total miles and around 24 M.P.G. for overall average at start of the drive . Drove 24 miles and managed 44.3 M.P.G. overall with the 6 speed auto that shifts smooth . Did use A/C when at red lights ( possibly 4 ) . The ACCENT is a Linen Beige ( light brown ) SE at $17,155 ( w/Destination Fee ) before Hyundai rebate and a dealer discount . Considering it for next car .

Attached Images Attached Images      

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    We're using a 2017 Kia Rio as our driver's ed car right now. Rio and Accent are basically the same car. We chose the Rio because it had a couple of minor features that we liked better, and it just felt like it was slightly more upscale than the Accent.

They're great cars! If you want something a little bigger than a Mirage, definitely not a bad way to go.

With the kind of driving we do (lots of stop & go with student drivers, and a fair bit of parking practice and stuff... highly inefficient), we average around 24-26 mpg. I get 36ish if I reset the MPG and just drive somewhere casually. And I can peak it up over 40 without too much trouble if I try. That's with the AC on always. And we did fit one size wider tires on it.

We bought ours used from Hertz. It was in the rental car fleet for about 3 months, if I recall. Less than 30k miles. It's got a few dings and scratches, but nothing worrisome. We paid $8500 for it, and it's been 100% trouble-free.
    Simplify and add lightness.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The Accent and Rio are really nice small cars. I may consider one when it is time for a new car.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 42.5 mpg (US) ... 18.1 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    They are very good cars. Around here almost all the Uber drivers have them and I have ridden in a few Hyundai Ubers and they showed me over 300k on them and no problems just maintenance.

But I don't consider them MILES AHEAD of a Mirage other than the advantage of more used parts and aftermarket parts available in the USA. What I mean to say is that since the 10 year warranty is almost the same as Mitsubishis I would not pay more than an extra $1000 or maybe $2000 extra for a Hyundai Accent compared to Mirage
    2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm sure there pretty nice now in 2018. Back in 2000/2001? i bought a 5-speed manual Accent brand new. I went thru a few cheap used cars that didn't last very long and one left me stranded on the side of the highway and burned up in flames. I got tired of sh*t boxes so i bought a brand new Accent off the lot.

It would grind 3rd gear. I brought it back to the dealership a few times for them to say it didn't grind when they had it. They did switch the trans fluid to synthetic but it never did fix it. That was the one and only car i ever did a voluntary repossession. I was so aggravated with the car and didn't care about turning it in. I regretted it later because it stayed on my credit for 10 years. Kinda turned me off to Hyundai's. Like i said i'm sure they are better now than what they were 18 years ago.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Hyundai was complete and total crap in 1988. I do remember that. The original Hyundai Excel was doing good to stay on the road for more than 3 years.
    Simplify and add lightness.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by FloridaG4 View Post
    I'm sure there pretty nice now in 2018. Back in 2000/2001? i bought a 5-speed manual Accent brand new. I went thru a few cheap used cars that didn't last very long and one left me stranded on the side of the highway and burned up in flames. I got tired of sh*t boxes so i bought a brand new Accent off the lot.

It would grind 3rd gear. I brought it back to the dealership a few times for them to say it didn't grind when they had it. They did switch the trans fluid to synthetic but it never did fix it. That was the one and only car i ever did a voluntary repossession. I was so aggravated with the car and didn't care about turning it in. I regretted it later because it stayed on my credit for 10 years. Kinda turned me off to Hyundai's. Like i said i'm sure they are better now than what they were 18 years ago.
    After I bought my 2013 Ford Fiesta I considered after 1 month of owning it to get it repossesed. I tried to tell the dealership to just take it back but they said they would stick a "deficiency judgement" against me. I own rental properties and a deficiency judgement would put a lien on them and I would not be able to sell any properties before paying back the deficiency judgement + extra fines and fees.

They had me over the barrel so I had no choice but to keep making the payments and finally to pay the car off. Its quite a racket the way that Lobbyists have changed the laws. There is no longer a 48 hour "cool off period" where you can change your mind and take the car back for a refund. In fact there is not even a 5 minute cool-off because as soon as you sign the contract you are STUCK.

This is why people really need to think LONG and HARD before buying a new car at Dealership it is akin to selling your soul to the devil in many ways. I wont be making that mistake again anytime soon. I paid the loan off inside of 2 years and now will keep the car until I drive it into the ground and I continue to squirrel away $200 every month into a seperate savings account so that in 5 years when I am ready for another car I will have the cash saved up so I can buy a quality used car from a private party. No more dealers for me.
    2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,684 Times in 2,103 Posts
    Cars are money pits. The average new car depreciates 19% the first year. The moment you buy the car, it loses 9-10% of its value immediately.

Personally, I wouldn’t spend more $10,000 on any subcompact car, because they are meant to be cheap little cars. Anything over $10,000 (new or used) in a subcompact is no longer cheap to me. That was my approach to looking at subcompact last summer. I set my limit to $10,000, & I began looking at what would be my best bang for the buck?

The car would have to be economical, reliable, and have a manual transmission. For me, perks were 4-door hatchback (vs 2-door) & having A/C. Beyond that, I really didn’t care much.

Used Yaris, Fit, Accent, & Rio5 were all on my radar. When I started seeing new Mirages for $9500 last summer, I started looking into them. Some complain about the depreciation of the Mirage, but I only paid $9299 for a 2017 ES (manual) that had Bluetooth & center armrest already added. You could still pay that for a used 2017 Mirage almost a year later. None of the used cars listed above would come with the warranty of a new Mirage, but they are still good choices. If the price of Mirage becomes to high, I do think a person may consider other choices (including used one).

Overall, the Mirage is a great value. I think its MSRP pricing is a bit high, but that is true of all cars. Adding a lot features to a cheap economy car isn’t going to make it a much better car. I really like the Mirage for what it is, & it’s a somewhat unique little car (especially in the U.S. market).

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    We bought it . This is the gas mileage displayed . Read it can be off by .6 > 3 m.p.g.. It showed 50.4 at one time . This is 2 people the entire time . May fill the tank later today .
    Last edited by cinder; 09-16-2018 at 04:59 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Managed 43.55 on the dealer filled tank . Hopefully the DISPLAY overall gas mileage will get closer to the CALCULATED . A/C used around 1/3 and 2 of us for whole tank . Start of 2nd fill is at 44.1 M.P.G. . This is summer blend (?) Top Tier SUNOCO Ultratech 89 w/E5 @ 1 click . The tank is 11.9 gallons .

Last edited by cinder; 09-17-2018 at 05:39 AM.