Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: engine cooling fan (shouldn't it run after shutting engine off)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    It turns on about 219-220F from my experience.

Its also normal for it to turn off with the car as others have said.

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

ThunderG (08-31-2018),tomrad (08-30-2018)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    The cooling system has a few peculiar features.
    There is no thermal switch on the radiator, which simply switches a fan via relay.
    The turning-on and off of the fan is by ECU command, consequently it will only work when the ignition is on. The ECU in turn gets its temperature info via the one and only sensor on the gearbox side of the cylinder head.
    The coolant thermostat is located on the lower (!) part of the engine, near the oil filter. This is most unusual.

You don't have to worry at all about either oil or water temperatures with these cars!
    I had a temporary water thermometer and also an oil thermometer on my car for a few months. They showed a sound construction with zero need for permanent thermometers, the idiot light is totally sufficient.
    Climbing steep long hills in the mountains hardly made any difference in temperature at all, just as fast (150 kmh+) highway driving. The water temp was perfectly ideal at all times, variations due to conditions were very minimal.
    The oil temperature always remained about 10°C below coolant temperature, regardless of situation, even on long and fast highway trips, and this car has 2/3 to 3/4 of the grill blocked.
    You would have to look very long and far to find any other car with such ideal water and oil temperatures.

Last edited by foama; 08-31-2018 at 08:05 AM.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

chris alan (08-31-2018),Daox (08-31-2018),MetroMPG (02-04-2020),tomrad (08-31-2018)