Country
    United States
    Thanks

15% off coupon at SimpleTire (USA) Labor Day Weekend

Use Code: LD15 for 15% off discount and free shipping

You could get Federal SS-657 for $45

https://simpletire.com/federal-165-65r14-126g4afa-tires

2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fc321 For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (09-01-2018),tomrad (09-01-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Ordered a set! Thanks!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

fc321 (09-01-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts

Federal tires

I had a pair of Federal SS657 tires mounted/balanced on steel rims this week, & I put them on my Mirage two days ago. If you are interested in sticking with 165/65-14 tires, the Federal tires seem fine to me. Simpletire.com also offers a more expensive Federal Formosa GIO tire that claims to have a lower rolling resistance, but the thread pattern looks exactly the same. I lost one of my Dunlop Enasaves to sidewall blow out, & I am giving the Federal tires a try.

Thus, I have 3 pairs of mismatched tires (Nokian Nordman 7 snow tires, original Dunlop Enasave tires, & new Federal SS-657 tires) on steel rims. In late November, I will add the Nokian snow tires to the front & use the newer Federal tires on the back. Next spring, I will move the Federal tires to the front & add the original Dunlop tires to the back.

When the Dunlop tires are finally used up, I am thinking of replacing them with the Vredestein Quatrac 5 Grand Touring All-Season tire (tirerack.com). By that time, these may become my new winter tires for the front, and I will start using the older Nokian tires in the back. If I don't find satisfaction in the 165/65-14 options, I will go with 175/65-14 tires. Options in that size are abundant.

I have to climb a ridge road that doesn't get much sunlight in the winter to get home. Whenever I have owned small front wheel drive cars in the past, I find myself using 3 pairs of tires. As I switch out tires in the late fall and spring, I take care of my tire rotations at the same time. I realize this may not be for everyone, but it's why I don't mind steel rims with hubcaps. It makes doing this simple and cheap.

I would never do this with an AWD vehicle, because it's important all 4 tires match for those systems to work properly. Thus, I have two complete sets of tires for my Subaru. If I find a good set of all-season tires that handle snow well, I may eventually do that with my Mirage. For now, I am experimenting with what I have.

Simpletire.com & Walmart are good places to look for Federal SS-657 tires. The prices fluctuate on them quite frequently. Simpletire.com even has two differently priced Federal SS-657 tires listed on their own website ($45 vs. $60) for the exact same tire. I called them last week and inquired about this? They used different vendors. Thus, they are shopping for you in a way. I got my tires within a few days. My local mechanic mounted and balanced them for a $20 bill.

Simpletire.com prices are always competitive from what I can tell. I didn't buy them with the 15% discount, and I only paid $2 more. At the time, simpletire.com was $10 cheaper per tire than Walmart. Simpletire.com seems to raise their prices and then offer an advertised discount. Despite all that, they have a great selection & prices seem good.

I purchased my snow tires (Nokian Nordman 7) from tires-easy.com last December, & I was happy with them, too. Walmart, simple tire.com, & tires-easy.com seem to always offer free shipping. If your local mechanic doesn't mind you buying the tires, these are great places to shop. In the case of Walmart, you could have them shipped to the store and mounted/balanced there. I haven't done that in a very long time, but I would never rule that out either.

My initial impression of the new Federal tires has been very good. They seem like a well made tire for the price. The sidewalls don't seem as thin as the Dunlop, and I did lose a Dunlop to the sidewall blowing out. I may have hit something, but it was on the rear driver's side. It looked like something struck a blow to it, but I am not sure about that? I appreciate tire companies and their distributors that offer our odd size tire in the U.S.A., & I am willing to support that somewhat.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (09-02-2018),Wayne (12-02-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I replaced one of my rear tires last year from SimpleTire, delivered home for just over $50, its been a litle over 1 year and have no problems

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cortisol For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (11-30-2018),Wayne (12-02-2018)