Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: G4 2000+ mile road trip MPG report

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Very impressive mileage!

Did you use cruise control most of the time?

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    I agree about the Outlander Sport. Even though it has been around in it's current form for a number of years it's reliable and with the 2.0 pretty fuel efficient (but not a powerhouse by any means). With the 2.4 it's a lot better and Mitsubishi's AWD system is really excellent. The Outlander Sport is probably one of the most capable offroad CUV's. They get knocked by "professional reviewers" for their dated interiors (like the Mirage) but it's got a great reputation for withstanding some pretty punishing conditions.
    There is something to be said for proven reliability. Sometimes, Toyota vehicles are even attacked for their dated but proven engines. The 2011-14 Subaru 2.5L was a revised version of their famous boxer engine. With the revisions came oil consumption issues. Prior to that, some engines had head gasket issues. Replacing a head gasket on a boxer engine is very expensive. When they added the CVT transmission to the Forester, the towing capacity dropped from 2,500 pounds to 1,500 pounds. That may indicate the confidence they have in the new transmission. Subaru is not a perfect company in my mind. Yet, their sales have gone up & Consumer Reports adores them.

The Outlander Sport with a 2.4L engine and AWD is definitely worth a test drive. I can't say that I have ever been in one, but it's one I would surely consider if I was shopping in the small SUV market.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks Daox! I wish I had cruise. It was quite the challenge to maintain the speed, especially with hills and A/C. I constantly had to compensate with my right foot. When there was too big of hill, I just let the speed go down rather than 'romping' the little engine.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to azdonw For This Useful Post:

Daox (09-05-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by azdonw View Post
    Thanks Daox! I wish I had cruise. It was quite the challenge to maintain the speed, especially with hills and A/C. I constantly had to compensate with my right foot. When there was too big of hill, I just let the speed go down rather than 'romping' the little engine.
    I wouldn't question anything you did on your trip. I think your mpg numbers are quite impressive! All 2019 Mirage trim levels will have cruise. It's the only thing I miss on longer trips, too!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I wouldn't question anything you did on your trip. I think your mpg numbers are quite impressive! All 2019 Mirage trim levels will have cruise. It's the only thing I miss on longer trips, too!
    Thanks, Mark! I am actually quite amazed by this car. I read on this forum of others that struggle to get 45 on the freeway, and mine is significantly above the speed vs. MPG graph that Metro has posted here.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    How was the comfort? How often were you engaging the cruise? Do you an armrest?

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    I concur, my previous ride was an H6 3.0 Outback 2004. I was getting recalls left and right and then my cat converter crapped out at 155k miles. I found my Subie to be reliable for the first 5 years but simply not worth dumping more $ into it considering I was only getting 19 city 21 hwy mpg. Plus it required premium gas. Thrilled at the $ Im saving with my Mirage. It completely makes up for the small grievances I have in the comfort department.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    How was the comfort? How often were you engaging the cruise? Do you an armrest?
    Neither my wife or I are big people, so we find it pretty comfortable. I installed a cheap ebay arm rest. No cruise control.