Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Custom OBD PIDs

Just A Mirage!
    Country
    United States
    Thanks

Question Custom OBD PIDs

Has anyone ventured into the unknown that is Custom PIDs? I know it's a real popular thing with the Evo crowd with Mode 23. It looks like the Mirages have Mode 21 (similar to 22 and 23) enabled. I used Torque Pro with the Mitsubishi LT Plugin to scan for any responses, and I found 24 PIDs that return data. Now, what that data is, I couldn't tell you. They could be literally anything the ECM can see -- A/C compressor status, CVT ratio, buttons being pressed on the steering wheel or dash, door status (open/closed/locked/unlocked), etc.

I haven't found ANYTHING online related to the Mirage, but my attempts to match up known PIDs for models like the Lancer or Outlander to the data that comes out of my car turned up nothing.

I did some testing this afternoon and mapped two PIDs:
    (Table moved to bottom of post)

Like I said, there's 24 total that I found, that's only 2 of them. Different MYs may return different data or even different PIDs. Many of them may require a formula to read (see the official Mode 01 PIDs) correctly. There's going to be redundant data, but one unique one is that A/C status. I'll update this more when I figure more out. Maybe someone else has done this before?

Known PIDs:
    PID # Bytes
    Notes
    01 5 B = Speed KPH
    C = RPM?
    E = A/C Status? 3 modes?? 57, 66, 6D
    02 2 B-40 = Temp? Of what?
    03 3 A = Load (0-100)
    C = Load? (not exactly the same as the first one)
    04 5
    05 2
    06 4 A, D narrow value range?
    07 3
    08 3
    0A 5
    0F 1 Full range of value seen (00-FF)
    10 5
    11 5 A, B, C, D always 00
    12 4 D always 6E
    13 4 A, B always 00
    14 2
    15 4 A always 00
    18 4 Only D changes
    19 4 Only C, D changes
    1A 2
    1D 5 B always 21
    C always 00 or 40
    D always 00 or 03
    E always 08
    1E 1 A always 26, 2F, 3F?
    1F 2 B always 00, 01, 16
    B = 1 when engine off, 16 when idling
    25 4 A always 00

Last edited by phaux; 09-07-2018 at 03:41 AM. Reason: Updated post with more PIDs

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.5 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 45.0 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to phaux For This Useful Post:

Eggman (09-07-2018),gone.a (09-11-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts
    Great thread, I'm interested in learning more about how to access and interpret this too.

How did you access this info, and where can I learn more?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Just A Mirage!
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Easiest way is Torque Pro and a Bluetooth OBD dongle. I've recently upgraded to a ScanTool OBDLink LX and their official OBDLink app. Normal SAE-standardized PIDs are in Mode 01, every OBDII car supports those. Mode 21/22/23 are what I suppose you could call OEM-specific PIDs. Usually you have to pay crazy amounts of money and enter contracts to get detailed information about what PIDs are available and how to correctly understand them, but it's not exactly rocket science.

I don't really have a place that explains how to use Mode 21. I've been poking around the CAN Bus for a while trying to see if I can spot interesting things (a whole other subject), and a lot of diesel truck owners and tuner crowds use the these modes to get specialized sensor readings, so I started searching for what support the Mirage has. I used the plugin mentioned earlier to find the supported PIDs. Literally all it does is read the PIDs one by one, and record which ones respond with data. It also supports alternate ECMs, like the TCM, ABS, SRS, etc. Reading undocumented PIDs is supposed to be completely harmless but there's always warnings that it could cause unexpected behavior, blah blah...

When you read a PID (let's say, Mode 21, PID 01), it'll return a packet of data in Hex, usually no more than 7 byte pairs (reference these as bytes A through G). Each Hex byte will always be between 00 and FF, which when converted to Decimal will be 0-255. In my notes above, byte B is Speed in KPH. So if you read PID 01 and the response is BA303CDC57, byte B here is "30", which 48KPH, or 29MPH. Some data is spread across two bytes, like Mode 01 PID 0C, which is Engine RPM. The formula for reading that response is "((256*A)+B)/4". Some PIDs are easy to decode, just by plotting them on a graph while the car is moving. The A/C Compressor one was real easy because it was a sawtooth pattern on a graph, and if you turned off the A/C it stuck low.

I'll update the top post with all the PIDs I found, and as I decode them I'll update the notes. In theory, you can take these PIDs and put them in any reader or app, be it Torque Pro, OBDLink, even ScanGauges will take custom PIDs (dunno if they can do modes other than 01 though).

I'll try to answer any questions that come up! I know enough to be dangerous ;P

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.5 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 45.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks.

I have a OBDLink LX bluetooth adapter and have found it very useful for the Mode 1 PIDs but haven't explored the other Modes. So your chart in your first post is for Mode 21 and no others, correct?

I understand the OBDLink LX is capable of protocols other than the standard Mode 1 OBD-II PIDs.

Wikipedia: On-board diagnostics - OBD-II signal protocols

OBDLink® LX Bluetooth
    Supported Protocols:
    ISO15765-4 (CAN)
    ISO14230-4 (Keyword Protocol 2000)
    ISO9141-2 (Asian, European, Chrysler vehicles)
    J1850 VPW (GM vehicles)
    J1850 PWM (Ford vehicles)

Which according to Wikipedia is the standard set, so maybe the OBDLink LX can't do any more? I have wondered if it could be used to access the Mirage ETACS.
    Last edited by Eggman; 09-07-2018 at 10:02 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Just A Mirage!
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Which according to Wikipedia is the standard set, so maybe the OBDLink LX can't do any more? I have wondered if it could be used to access the Mirage ETACS.
    Sorry Eggman, I never replied to you on this! Those protocols are a different layer of communication. Our Mirages are all CAN for the hardware layer, then the OBD protocol is the software layer on top of that, making it independent of the hardware layer it's carried over. For instance, my 99 Ranger uses J1850 PWM, but speaks the same OBD protocol on top of that (yay standards!). Also, since OBD is on top of the CAN bus, you can actually write raw OBD packets over CAN, which is good in case your ELM adapter doesn't behave correctly (think chinese clones).

The OBDLink doesn't need to support any other hardware layers than what's listed, since that basically encompasses every car on the globe. As of 2008, all new cars are using CAN anyways, so everything else is really just for older vehicles.

As far as ETACS goes, you can use an ELM327 adapter since they can speak raw CAN (ETACS is all outside the OBD protocol), but you get much better performance and reliability with a J2534 VCI adapter. I bought a Toyota Mini-VCI cable for $20 and it works great with ETACS Decoder.

I plan on getting back into this project this week, and hopefully finding some other information to report back.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to phaux For This Useful Post:

inuvik (12-23-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I tested this Torque plugin with my '14 Mirage, but some sensors don't give reliable data (like CVT temp that always stays at 10 degrees).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by R01k View Post
    I tested this Torque plugin with my '14 Mirage, but some sensors don't give reliable data (like CVT temp that always stays at 10 degrees).
    I had wondered how those plug-ins would work with the Mirage.

So which parameters do work?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    I had wondered how those plug-ins would work with the Mirage.

So which parameters do work?
    Most sensors the plugin adds do update but it's unknown how reliable the data is:

Name:  Screenshot_20181225-160400_Torque.jpg
Views: 3413
Size:  70.4 KB Name:  Screenshot_20181225-160409_Torque.jpg
Views: 3273
Size:  75.3 KB Name:  Screenshot_20181225-160417_Torque.jpg
Views: 3210
Size:  80.1 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thats interesting, thanks for posting this. I recognize some of those items as available through the regular OBD-II PIDs.

I'm curious to know if the formulas for the various points are accessible?

Take injector duty cycle for example. I'm interested in finding out what that does during idling versus the expected deceleration fuel cut-off.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have not inspected the apk file for the plugin, but I bet the formulas are not accessible unless the file is decompiled.

I question the data shown because, for example, Engine Speed is slightly different than what the stock PID yields. Most likely this is due to the Mirage engine not being specifically listed as supported, although the author states that

other MITSUBISHI models/engines may be supported, but the plugin was tested only on [specific] models/engines equipped with DiagOnCan (CANBUS ONLY)