Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1 Brand New Enasave on eBay for under $50

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts

1 Brand New Enasave on eBay for under $50

Saw this one on eBay last night. There's still a day left...

Link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dunlop-Enas...item26017f3208

Name:  enasave.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  72.0 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Daox (09-07-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Weird that it's just one tire.

I wonder if you could actually fit a full-size spare in a Mirage...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 33.6 mpg (US) ... 14.3 km/L ... 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.4 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    If I had a low-mile Mirage with Enasaves, I might be tempted to jump on this. It would be nice to have a spare one sitting around. If you damage one of your Enasaves and need a replacement in a hurry (not entirely unheard of), you'll find out that nobody stocks these tires...except maybe a Mitsubishi dealer. These tires are almost $120/each at the Tire Rack now.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    If I had a low-mile Mirage with Enasaves, I might be tempted to jump on this. It would be nice to have a spare one sitting around. If you damage one of your Enasaves and need a replacement in a hurry (not entirely unheard of), you'll find out that nobody stocks these tires...except maybe a Mitsubishi dealer. These tires are almost $120/each at the Tire Rack now.
    Considering I saw a $30 tire at Discount Tire (well, on the website)...

(Okey so it's a 175/65R14...)
    https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tir...ntis-2/p/11363
    Last edited by timw4mail; 09-07-2018 at 01:45 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 33.6 mpg (US) ... 14.3 km/L ... 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.4 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by timw4mail View Post
    Considering I saw a $30 tire at Discount Tire (well, on the website)...
    (Okey so it's a 175/65R14...)
    And that's the decision some Mirage owners are faced with. If you have decent Enasaves on your car and need 1 replacement tire, what do you do? You can spend $125 to replace it, or you can spend $200 and put on 4 new tires of another size (175-65-14) or brand.

At least Wal-Mart sells 165-65-14 tires online...but I don't know if they are actually in stock anywhere.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    And that's the decision some Mirage owners are faced with. If you have decent Enasaves on your car and need 1 replacement tire, what do you do?
    Especially if the alignment is off...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    If you have decent Enasaves on your car and need 1 replacement tire, what do you do? You can spend $125 to replace it, or you can spend $200 and put on 4 new tires of another size (175-65-14) or brand.
    I had this dilemma a few weeks ago. I had a punctured sidewall on one of the factory Enasaves. All 4 tires still looked great tread-wise @ 15,000 miles.

I decided to try a pair of 165/65r14 Federal SS-657 tires. I disposed of the one tire with the bad sidewall, & I kept the extra Enasave. If I lose another Enasave, I have a replacement. I also had the same thought about keeping a spare of this odd size tire on hand.

I used my extra pair of snow tires on steel rims for a few days until the new Federal pair arrived. For a tire under $50 each, the Federal tires seem perfectly fine. During the summer months, I will use the new Federal tires with the original Dunlop tires. During the winter months, I will move the newer Federal tires to back & add my Nokian snow tires to front. As I do this, I will take care of my tire rotations at the same time. When climbing ridge roads in the winter, I like having that little bit of extra traction up front.

By the time the Dunlop tires wear out, I should have a pretty good opinion of the Federal tires. That may help determine what I will do next. I haven't ruled out going to 175/65r14 tires some day (tire options are endless in that size). For now, I am giving the Federal tires a try. I didn't see a need to replace all four tires. The Dunlop tires have a lot tread life in them. Thus, I am using 3 different pairs of tires mounted on steel rims (Dunlop, Federal, & Nokian).

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (09-08-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    During the winter months, I will move the newer Federal tires to back & add my Nokian snow tires to front. As I do this, I will take care of my tire rotations at the same time. When climbing ridge roads in the winter, I like having that little bit of extra traction up front.

By the time the Dunlop tires wear out, I should have a pretty good opinion of the Federal tires. That may help determine what I will do next. I haven't ruled out going to 175/65r14 tires some day (tire options are endless in that size). For now, I am giving the Federal tires a try. I didn't see a need to replace all four tires. The Dunlop tires have a lot tread life in them. Thus, I am using 3 different pairs of tires mounted on steel rims (Dunlop, Federal, & Nokian).
    You only use snow tires on the front?!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    You only use snow tires on the front?!
    It's not a recommended practice, but I've done this with various small front wheel drive cars for decades. I drive way beyond reason in bad weather. I take it really slow on turns/curves. My concern is climbing up a fairly steep ridge road that doesn't get much sunlight in the winter. A little extra traction up front doesn't hurt.

I've used 3 pairs of tires on all of my small front wheel drive cars. Around Thanksgiving, I will add my Nokian snow tires up front. I will make sure my relative new Federal tires are on back. The older Dunlop pair will come off. In the spring, I will pull off the pair of Nokian snow tires & put the Dunlop pair back on. While I am doing that, I will take care of tire rotations at the same time. I can always add another pair of snow tires, too. I just haven't bother yet.

I can probably trace this practice back to my 1990 Ford Festiva having 145SR12 tires. Finding 12" snow tires back then wasn't easy. As a matter of fact, I didn't find them. Keep in mind, I didn't own a computer or smart phone in those days. Thus, I got into the habit of using 3 pairs of tires (A, B, & C) on that car. During the winter months, I would use my A pair (newest) up front & B pair on the back. During the summer months, I used my B pair up front & C pair (oldest) on back. When my C pair wore out, they would be replace (becoming my new A pair). This allowed me to use up tires during the summer months, but still have relatively new tires up front during the winter months.

Using 4 snow tires is much better than using 2. I just got into the habit of doing this. It's not the best practice by any means. When winter comes around, I like having all the traction I can get up front. I would never do this with an AWD vehicle. My Subaru has two full sets of tires. All four tires should match on an AWD vehicle for sure.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Weird that it's just one tire.

I wonder if you could actually fit a full-size spare in a Mirage...
    You can't.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Wayne (09-09-2018)