Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best 14 inch tire to replace stock OEM units on 2015 DE???

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by azdonw View Post
    ...These 75K mile rated Kumho Solus TA11 are only $12 more than the Faulkens and were tested by Tire Rack to be a low rolling resistance tire...
    It looks like the Tire Rack doesn't classify the Kumho Solus as a low rolling resistance tire. It just had the lowest rolling resistance of the 4 all-season tires that the Tire Rack had in their test...

Maximizing fuel economy is a want of many consumers, and while none of the tires in this test were designed with low rolling resistance as a high priority, we did find a difference in observed vehicle fuel economy across the group...
    But you can't overlook low rolling resistance when factoring in the total cost of ownership of a tire. If I knew a tire would get me 1 extra mpg, I'd pay an extra $12 for it!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by azdonw View Post
    ...rolling resistance and tread life...
    I'm not sure there's any 14" tire out there that fits that description right now. I mean a legitimate Low Rolling Resistance tire that will deliver fuel mileage like OEM Enasaves...but last 80,000 miles.

I'm currently driving on tires that fit that description...but they are 15" in diameter.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    It looks like the Tire Rack doesn't classify the Kumho Solus as a low rolling resistance tire. It just had the lowest rolling resistance of the 4 all-season tires that the Tire Rack had in their test...

But you can't overlook low rolling resistance when factoring in the total cost of ownership of a tire. If I knew a tire would get me 1 extra mpg, I'd pay an extra $12 for it!
    Tire Rack doesn't classify as LRR, but LRR isn't really very well defined. Over at Priuschat, many people have discovered the General RT43 to be virtually as LRR as the various LRR-rated tires, and the Kumho beat it in the Tire Rack test (slightly).https://www.google.com/search?q=RT43++priuschat+siteriuschat.com&rlz=1C1PQHB_enUS794US795&sa=X&ved=2ah UKEwiNieDbsazdAhWoiVQKHZ3PBd8QrQIoBDAAegQIARAN&biw =1536&bih=728
    I'm not really trying to make 80Kmiles, but would be happy with 55K or so. I also do not want to pay $100 per tire.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,710 Times in 2,121 Posts

few options or many

Quote Originally Posted by cwatkin View Post
    I am looking to replace my factory tires soon and want to stay with the steel 14 inch rims for now. What is the best tire for this swap? I think anything would be better than the factory tires. The Potenza's below were suggested on the FB page but don't rate great on TireRack. I mean anything is probably better than the factory tires on these but are there any other suggestions? I want a year round tire as I have a 4WD gas guzzler to drive if needed. I don't want to mess with a separate set of snow tires.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...RE92&tab=Specs

Thanks,

Conor
    Just because we haven't heard of a company in the U.S. doesn't make it bad. Some of our major tire brands put out some very crappy tires, too. Like others have said, 165/65r14 (22.4" diameter) tires are not common in the U.S. If you are an indecisive person, you may appreciate the lack of choices.

Federal SS-657 are under $50. They seem fine to me, but may not be great in snow. Compare free shipping prices @ walmart.com & simpletire.com

Vredestein Quatrac 5 appear to be an all-season tire that can handle snow. Reviews are good @ tirerack.com

Other than the 165/65r14 Dunlop & Bridgestone, you don't have much else to pick from except for a couple good snow tires, which aren't year round tires.

Sidenote: Dunlop & Falken both have past connections (especially in the 1980's) with Sumitomo Rubber Industries of Japan. Falken tires are a product of this large tire company. Likewise, Federal had connections with the same tire company that dates back to the 1950's. Federal has made more of an effort to go independent. I wouldn't assume Federal or Vredestein are bad tires, because we haven't heard of them. Vredestein is a European tire company that started in the early 1900's, & is now owned by an India company. We live in a world market. Walmart should have been named Worldmart maybe???

I enjoy hearing about experiences with any of these choices. Likewise, I appreciate good suggestions for other sizes. The 175/65r14 tire size (23" diameter) gives you over 80 different tire options on just the Walmart site alone. If you are interested in going that route, the $46 Falken being recommended seem like a great choice!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Here is another good Tire Rack test between Firestone Champion Fuel Fighter (LRR), Goodyear Assurance All-Season (LRR), General AltiMAX RT43 (not LRR), and Kumho Solus TA11 (not LRR). https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=215

The two LRR tires tied. The RT43 was -2.5% from their score, and the Kumho was -1.5%.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My iQ had the Goodyear Assurance tires as OEM, wouldn't recommend them.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 33.6 mpg (US) ... 14.3 km/L ... 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.4 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Here's an inexpensive LRR (claimed) tire, $60 at Discount Tire. Hankook Kinergy ST H735 in P175/65R14. https://www.discounttire.com/fitment...Ratio=65&text=
    Hankook says: "the new tire features a dual-filler system that accounts for low rolling resistance and improved treadlife, while offering tread block stiffness that enhances durability and tread uniformity." It's too new to have any testing that I could find.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It looks like there are several good options for me. I really like the looks of the General. https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...m=765TR4AMRT43

The Federal also looks good and is one of the cheaper options. I guess this is probably one of the grippier tires of the bunch from what I am seeing so there will be a slight mileage penalty.

The Kuhmo Solos TA11 also looks good. There are lots of choices.

The Faulken also looks good and is one of the cheaper options. https://www.walmart.com/ip/175-65-14...&wl13=&veh=sem

Both my car and my GF's car are the same except for the color. We both want new tires. She is probably going to want the safest one hands down, even at the slight penalty of mileage. Of course something lasting in the 50-60k range would be good as well. We do lots of gravel road driving here so odds are they won't last the official rating which is designed for pavement. A little better snow rating would be preferred for her as well. We do get plenty of wet weather here from time to time as well so wet traction is important for both of us. I have a truck for backup if that is needed in the snow.

I also want a safer tire than what came on the cars but am willing to sacrifice a little for mileage. I think ANY tire is better than what came on the car when you get down to it. I do lots of driving for my job so don't want to suck up too much more fuel.

I think the Potenza is out. I remember a buddy buying these quite a few years ago and they were pretty much crap back then as well.

Anyone have a way of narrowing this down based on my needs/wants as well as for my GF?

Thanks,

Conor

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The General Altimax RT43 was rated very highly by Consumer Reports for snow traction (actually the best of the bunch!). Might be good for your girl's car.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Here are quotes from that Tire Rack test I linked to earlier:
    General Altimas RT43: "Composed on the road and continues to impress with its wet and snow traction."
    Kuhmo Solos TA11: "Eager and responsive handling on the street or track, respectable grip in the snow."
    And with the better MPG in the test, I'd say Kuhmo for you and General for your GF. Done!

Last edited by azdonw; 09-09-2018 at 04:42 PM.