Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Best 14 inch tire to replace stock OEM units on 2015 DE???

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by azdonw View Post
    Here are quotes from that Tire Rack test I linked to earlier:
    General Altimas RT43: "Composed on the road and continues to impress with its wet and snow traction."
    Kuhmo Solos TA11: "Eager and responsive handling on the street or track, respectable grip in the snow."
    And with the better MPG in the test, I'd say Kuhmo for you and General for your GF. Done!
    If I ever decide to switch over from 165/65r14 to 175/65r14 tires, the General Altimax RT43 tires would be at the top of my list for Wisconsin roads. I've used Cooper tires a lot in the past, but the General tires seem like a good option too.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    TireSize.com is a good resource for comparing tires of any given size.

Tire Size Comparison Calculator
    Enter any tire size you like. For example:
    Size 1: 165/65R14
    Size 2: 175/65R14

It's also a good resource for shopping.
    165/65R14 Tires
    175/65R14 Tires

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I went Potenza's once my original Dunlops were bald (after 60,000 kms). I knew the ratings for the Potenzas were bad but I wasn't gonna buy a duplicate of the meh Dunlops, and the risk has paid off. I think my Potenzas haven't worn out as fast, even after 40 000 kms or use, and I feel more grip to the road. Not a lot of difference tho, and same very good fuel economy.
    Last edited by dspace9; 09-10-2018 at 12:35 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    I went Potenza's once my original Dunlops were bald (after 60,000 kms). I knew the ratings for the Potenzas were bad but I wasn't gonna buy a duplicate of the meh Dunlops, and the risk has paid off. I think my Potenzas haven't worn out as fast, even after 40 000 kms or use, and I feel more grip to the road. Not a lot of difference tho, and same very good fuel economy.
    That is really interesting news. I was very interested in the Potenzas. But being all about the bottom line economy, I can't justify them. They are 30 dollars more apiece than the Kumho's I am looking at, and assuming 2% worse fuel mileage, at 15,000 mi per year, it would take near 6 years to make up the difference. Wish I knew the real MPG difference. I do have to believe the wider 175's would ride better.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to azdonw For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (09-10-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

This sounds like a plan

Here are quotes from that Tire Rack test I linked to earlier:
    General Altimas RT43: "Composed on the road and continues to impress with its wet and snow traction."
    Kuhmo Solos TA11: "Eager and responsive handling on the street or track, respectable grip in the snow."
    And with the better MPG in the test, I'd say Kuhmo for you and General for your GF. Done!
    Thanks. I think this is probably how I am going to go. Yes, there are quite a few choices but some are better than others. I think my GF will like the Generals for sure. The Kuhmos will be the choice for my car.

Conor

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cwatkin View Post
    Thanks. I think this is probably how I am going to go. Yes, there are quite a few choices but some are better than others. I think my GF will like the Generals for sure. The Kuhmos will be the choice for my car.

Conor
    Keep us posted. I'm particularly interested in how gas mileage and handling are affected in both.

Country
    United States
    Thanks

I will let everyone know.

Keep us posted. I'm particularly interested in how gas mileage and handling are affected in both.
    It may be a couple months but I may jump on this a little sooner than my GF. At least I have decided what to get.

Conor

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Tires are ordered!

Both my GF and I have tires ordered for our cars. She is getting the Generals and I am getting the Kuhmos. I figure ANYTHING is better than what came on the cars as I was never impressed with them and that seems to be the shared opinion of those tires.

We ended up ordering them from the evil empire as that was just the easier and cheaper way to go. We will just take them in at the same time and have them changed at the tire center.

I may have the best two from the bunch of 8 kept aside as possible full-size spares. I kinda don't like the fact that these cars don't have room for a full spare like the Geo Metro but that is how many cars are going these days. I would need a wheel and assume finding used 14 inch wheels for these cars isn't hard.

Conor