Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best 14 inch tire to replace stock OEM units on 2015 DE???

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Best 14 inch tire to replace stock OEM units on 2015 DE???

I am looking to replace my factory tires soon and want to stay with the steel 14 inch rims for now. What is the best tire for this swap? I think anything would be better than the factory tires. The Potenza's below were suggested on the FB page but don't rate great on TireRack. I mean anything is probably better than the factory tires on these but are there any other suggestions? I want a year round tire as I have a 4WD gas guzzler to drive if needed. I don't want to mess with a separate set of snow tires.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...RE92&tab=Specs

Thanks,

Conor

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Your choices for a long-lasting tire in the stock size (165-64-14) isn't very good. If you are willing to move up to a slightly larger tire (175-65-14), the Falken Sincera SN250 is hard to beat. This tire costs $46/each at walmart.com and should last you 80,000 miles. It's an all-season tire that gets generally good reviews, too. Lots of Mirage owners have switched to a 175-65-14 tire size because it opens up better tire options.

A 175-65-14 tire is slightly larger in diameter (23") than the stock tires (22.5"), so your speedometer/odometer will be 2.5% slower than your actual speed. I have 23" tall tires on my Mirage and do not notice it. When my ScanGauge indicates 60mph, my Garmin GPS shows 61 mph.

Also note that this is not a Low Rolling Resistance tire...so it's probably going to cost you 1-2 MPG. For most people this is not a big deal.

And I have to mention this as a reminder to anyone getting new tires on a Mirage...

If you have never had a 4-wheel alignment check, please do this BEFORE you buy new tires!

If you have an alignment issue that needs to be corrected under warranty, you want to have OEM-sized tires on your car.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I am more than happy to change tire sizes a tad and figured that was the best option from what I have been reading here.

That is interesting about the tires from Wal-Mart. I am guessing this is not a Wal-Mart model. I have always tried to avoid tires from that place as they somehow have the manufacturer cheapen them in many cases or have their own house brands like Douglas which seem to be as good as junk!

Conor

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cwatkin View Post
    I am more than happy to change tire sizes a tad and figured that was the best option from what I have been reading here.

That is interesting about the tires from Wal-Mart. I am guessing this is not a Wal-Mart model. I have always tried to avoid tires from that place as they somehow have the manufacturer cheapen them in many cases or have their own house brands like Douglas which seem to be as good as junk!

Conor
    The in-house Goodyear tires at Wal-Mart are garbage. The Faulken SN250 isn't stocked at their stores, it is a special order item.

I've found it's cheaper to order at Walmart.com, pickup the tires in store and bring them to the tire center, rather than have the tire center order the tires for you.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cwatkin View Post
    ...I have always tried to avoid tires from that place as they somehow have the manufacturer cheapen them...
    I'm usually skeptical of off-brand tires myself. But these have good reviews and they last a long time.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    The in-house Goodyear tires at Wal-Mart are garbage. The Faulken SN250 isn't stocked at their stores, it is a special order item.

I've found it's cheaper to order at Walmart.com, pickup the tires in store and bring them to the tire center, rather than have the tire center order the tires for you.
    That is exactly what I did when I ordered the Federals.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm a ways from needing tires, but I've been researching options. These 75Kmile rated Kumho Solus TA11 https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tir...s-ta11/p/25606 are only $12 more than the Faulkens and were tested by Tire Rack to be a low rolling resistance tire https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=208 (scroll down to Fuel Consumption Results).
    The Nov. 2017 Consumer Reports issue also rated the Kumho highly for low rolling resistance.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by azdonw View Post
    I'm a ways from needing tires, but I've been researching options. These 75Kmile rated Kumho Solus TA11 https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tir...s-ta11/p/25606 are only $12 more than the Faulkens and were tested by Tire Rack to be a low rolling resistance tire https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=208 (scroll down to Fuel Consumption Results).
    The Nov. 2017 Consumer Reports issue also rated the Kumho highly for low rolling resistance.
    Well, that's the rub, what's your must-have attribute for the tire?

Grip, rolling resistance, wet performance, dry performance, etc.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 33.6 mpg (US) ... 14.3 km/L ... 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.4 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by timw4mail View Post
    Well, that's the rub, what's your must-have attribute for the tire?

Grip, rolling resistance, wet performance, dry performance, etc.
    For me, rolling resistance and tread life...for a good price. With this car, I'm all about economy. Living in Arizona, I don't have much weather to worry about.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I had Potenza RE92's on two cars as OEM tires and was not really that impressed, neither with wear nor with dry/wet traction etc.. They were OEM so maybe they were manufactured differently ? Looking at the tire rack overall reviews though it seems to agree with what I experienced.

2018 Mirage

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 38.0 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)