Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast

Thread: My new OEM-size tires: Vredestein Quatrac 5

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 2,122 Posts
    I wouldn't normally buy tires from Tire Rack, but I am willing to wait out my 165/65r14 Vredestein Quatrac order placed on 12/23/2022. A few reasons -

No one else really has them in stock. Most tire vendors don't even carry them.

I am not aware of another 165/65r14 All-Weather tire option, & I'm interested in trying one.

My order included a $100 instant rebate making a set of 4 = $272.28.

I don't really need or want them until next winter. They're storing them instead of me this summer.

Tire Rack doesn't offer any good 165/65r14 alternatives.

Tire Rack offers the 165/65r14 Kumho Solus TA31 (500 AA) for $97.36/tire. I could get the exact same tire from Walmart for $69.12/tire, & Discount Tire Direct's price is $73.57/tire. Walmart will mount them for free & only charge $14/tire for a lifetime balance. Tire Rack installers are most likely going to charge $25+/tire.

Tire Rack offers the 165/65r14 Falken Sincera SN250A A/S (320 BB) for $104.35/tire. Discount Tire Direct's & Walmart's price is $85.81/tire. $104.35/tire is quite high for a tire that has a 320 BB UTQG rating & no warranty.

Tire Rack's Dunlop Enasave $161.99/tire price is the same as Walmart.

I like Discount Tire Direct, but Walmart is much more convenient for me.

All prices listed above include free shipping. Tire prices can change daily. What I share tonight could be different tomorrow.

Last edited by Mark; 03-23-2023 at 02:46 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,422 Times in 1,029 Posts
    Why wouldn't you normally buy tires from tirerack? Not implying rightness or wrongness, I'm just curious.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Interesting. I checked this am for available 165-65-14 tyres and I only see 3 options starting at $92 each not including the installation.

I checked Walmart and they have a better choices to choose from. I’m convinced this is the ideal if I ever need a new set today.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Why wouldn't you normally buy tires from tirerack? Not implying rightness or wrongness, I'm just curious.
    I thought I shared the reason already? Their prices suck!

Why would I pay $97 for a tire that I can order from Walmart for $69. Walmart mounts tires bought through them for free, shipping is free, tire disposal cost is only $1.50/tire, & $14 gives you lifetime balancing. Plus, I live 12 miles from Walmart. Why would I search for a Tire Rack installer that's going to charge a minimum $100 to mount/balance the same set of tires?

A local Farm & Fleet has buy 3 tires get one free sales all the time. You can't buy the tires without their tire service. They hose you on everything. You pay for their shop rags and toilet paper if they take a dump while doing your tires.

Last time I compared the OTD price on their tires, my local mechanic was $80 cheaper than their deceptive offer. I save $20/tire buying them more locally. I shop for things like tires, batteries, or whatever I guess.
    Last edited by Mark; 03-23-2023 at 04:28 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post

Why would I pay $97 for a tire that I can order from Walmart for $69. Walmart mounts tires bought through them for free, shipping is free, tire disposal cost is only $1.50/tire, & $14 gives you lifetime balancing. Plus, I live 12 miles from Walmart. Why would I search for a Tire Rack installer that's going to charge a minimum $100 to mount/balance the same set of tires?
    I hear you.

It just too bad Costco and or Sam Club don’t offer many choices. Even if they do, they’re not that cheap to get even with the rebate

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by defensivetackle88 View Post
    I hear you.

It just too bad Costco and or Sam Club don’t offer many choices. Even if they do, they’re not that cheap to get even with the rebate
    I don't live near those types of stores. It's been 25 years since I have been in Sam's Club, and I have never been to a Costco. If I went that far for tire service, I would use Discount Tire Direct instead. I think their prices are fair, and they seem to offer excellent service (by what others share).

I look at Tire Rack. I look at everything. Shopping from a recliner is easy. I bought my Mirage that way. Why not tires?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Somehow, I've never seen you discuss that. However, I think you should buy from Tire Rack.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Somehow, I've never seen you discuss that. However, I think you should buy from Tire Rack.

I've bought tires from tires-easy.com (Nokian & Nexen), simpletire.com (Federal), & walmart.com (Kumho) for my Mirage over the past 5 years. If I need tires, the best price & selection gets my money most of the time. If my order isn't cancelled, Tire Rack (Vredestein) is added to my list of tire vendors that I have used for my Mirage.

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    I've bought tires from tires-easy.com (Nokian & Nexen), simpletire.com (Federal), & walmart.com (Kumho) for my Mirage over the past 5 years. If I need tires, the best price & selection gets my money most of the time. If my order isn't cancelled, Tire Rack (Vredestein) is added to my list of tire vendors that I have used for my Mirage.
    In 5 years? What do you do with your tires?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Space Star Cleartec Intense 1.0 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    He's building a tire barrier around his house and is going to teach his driving students how to drift in his front yard.